Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy vs Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

But is it outdated or is it still competetive.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like the Hyper 7 TQ sport.......... here in the USA it comes with NO motor and NO electronics..... that way you can put in it what you like..... and you dont wast your money on a cheap RTR radio..... and motor that is not a .21.........
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hicksey,

I know it's not on your list, but I'd look at getting a Standard MBX5 kit, Novarossi 3-port 21BF (by far the best bang for your buck in the RC Nitro engine department), pipe/header and a decent radio w/ servos. There are plenty of guys with good deals on used M8's, MX-3's and other radios out there. The MBX5 is the most durable buggy out there. Parts are readily available and cheap. The car has won many National and World titles in "STOCK" form. The only thing I'd upgrade on it is the front shock tower if you're going to beat on it. Mugen has lowered their pricing on the car recently so the deals are awesome. The one thing you need to think about, especially if you're on a tight budget, is what spare parts you may need. If a car wears out parts quick, or if they break easily, you can easily spend more on fixing and maintaing it than your initial investment. Most Mugen owners have spare parts in their pit box that are collecting dust....LOL

The other benefit is you get the build the car which I think is invaluable. The Mugen manual is very good too. You should also download the Xray XB8 manual and print out the setup section in the back. It'll help you get the car dialed.

Just another option to think about

Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Can you point me towards that deal for the MBX-5 via PM
Old 05-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If you need an engine for little $$ check out an OS RG .21. These are the gold standard in entry level engines and they run very well.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool T&T Hobbies has what you are looking for.

I have a brand new in the box Hyper 7 TQ. It is about to go on e-bay for auction. If you have parts available at your LHS this is a good car to get your feet wet in both bashing and racing. If you PM me we can set a deal up to get you rolling.
The price will be unbelievable!

You asked if a certain car is competitive. That is a whole different issue.
If you want up to date Tony is right about the Mugen car. But, only if you have parts on the wall at your local Shop. My advise.....don't touch anything you can't fix and get parts for on the spot. I don't care if it's gold. You will end up disappointed at best. What do local racers run?

Give us some more info to work with.
TEX

T&T Hobbies. Plano, TX
Old 05-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Hicksey, Listen up.
I have just been through the whole buying a buggy thing and have learnt a hell of a lot after I got it so take this as good honest advise of what I would do now if I could.
First you want a Buggy you can get parts for at your local hobby shop first and for most.
Second I have just purchased the new Hyper 7 TQ 28
This has a Hyper MACH 28 6port eng, as oposed to the Hyper 7TQ with the smaller 21, 4 port. I had my first race on the weekend and it had more power than any other buggy in my class.

Third and the most important is this, I use mine for what it is built for, I have only had it 3 weeks and I have abused it. I have broken 3 left hand C hubs from going over BIG jumps and steering knuckels. in the hyper 7 TQ's thay are weak, I have up graded to the same as the hyper 8 C hubs these are strong, made for bilet aloy as oposed to cast as standard, this is one thing you will need to get if you get a Hyper 7 TQ, second is the stering servos, the TQs use a plastic geard servo and these bugger up as well fairly fast so getting a metal gear servo is the go when you bugger one of these.

All in all I will sum up and say this. I would recomend you getting the
Hyper 7 PCR. For the simple fact that I have seen them at the track on the weekend when I was there with mine racing and seen the pro guys using them and smashing up hard, not one of them broke a single thing in the stering or anything else. The PCR will be a bit more expencive to buy but you will spend that amount on fixing a TQ or any other base line price buggy.

The PCR comes with a pilow ball front end that is almost un breakable and has a metal gear stering servo standard plus a hell of a lot more on it for the value for money side of things. I wish I had of gotten one after spending another $200 pluss on the upgrades and broken parts.

Please take this as good advise from some one who has learnt the hard way and is a felow Ausie. If you can afford to get a PCR it will be more than worth while it will work out to be cheaper and will be on the road longer because they dont break. And if you cant afford it yet save a bit more, you wont regret it.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Take a look at reviews for a Sportwerks Mayhem Pro.
Sweet ride for a decent price.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd Rank RTR's in this order From best to not the best, some factors include price and what it comes with.

1. Jammin X1 RADIO and servo's could be better, but the car is absolutly awesome, I'm positive it could win against any pro level kit if in the right hands.
2. CEN Matrix, The car actually has alot of potential, but because it come with an Airtronics MX3 fm RADIO, AND 2 HIGH TORQUE SRVOS, 145 oz. That's hard to beat.
3. Hyper 7 It's an Ofna, like the jammin is, but it actually comes with a super fast hyper 7 engine, which blows alot of other RTR engines out of the water, plus it's a .21 engine, so it's leagal for sanctioned races. And to some peoples dismay, alot of .21 are actually faster than most RTR big blocks
4.GS Storm I've also heard good things, but I've heard better about the other ones already mentioned
5. Sportwerks Turmoil. it's brand new, related to the Mayhem, it comes with a stout sport werks .26, and it's pretty tough.
6. Hot bodies Lightning 2. It's pretty good, but I haven't heard an awful lot about it.
7. Sport werks Mayhem. It's also tough, but a bit older than the turmoil. It's good, but I've never had one beat me in a race
8. Everything else is a toss up.
9. Robitronics Protos, I don't know much except that it sells for $289 and comes with Airtronics radio gear, and an Axial .28. It also looks alot like the new losi with it's body on, it's got a very narrow chassis.