Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Assembly!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow Battery Assembly!

If I were to get some matched 3000 unassembled batteryies, I wouldn't know what to get.

I would need some wire, i would need a battery jig ( which one is the best?), and some connectors.

Do i need shrinkrap/ if i do, why?

I was also confused about the connectors. I was looking at the deans ultra plugs and y is the only way u can get a male connector is to buy a male and female togeter? And y do they sell a pack assembly kit and only give you one female connector and no male?
I thoght that stuff was really dumb, but I don't know anything about assembling batteries anyway.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2002, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

You'll need some battery bars as well to put the individual cells together - get the one's with kinks in.

People use the cell-sized heatshrink to put an extra layer of protection over the individual cells before assembly, and to stop the matchers labels from rubbing off.

The key to assembling a good pack is a good, strong soldering iron (60w+), which means yuou don't have to hold the heat against the cell for too long, avoiding cell damage.

Don't know much about fitting Deans.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

I would advise to use heatshrink and also to glue the cells together. Some people don't, but your packs will stay in much better condition if you do (especially in a XX4 worlds edition).
1. Put the heatshrink on and shrink it.
2. Line cells up +-+-+- on a flat surface and align them with something straight with something heavy at either end (no offset is required with 3000s) then superglue or shoegoo them together, or to make it easier, get the battery jig.
3. Tin the bars and cells wire and plug
4. Attach the bars with a really powerful soldering Iron (60W is good but 100W is even better )
(the Deans jig comes in handy again here)
5. The Deans plugs are available in bulk female packs, so you shouldn't have to buy too many spare male plugs
6. If you want to use less wire, you can cut Ultra Deans in half, but with use, you can lose some of the tension that holds the connectors together so well, plus it's a lot of work, so be warned.
7. make sure you follow the Deans Instructions and have the two halves connected when soldering the plug
Old 10-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would say the deans jig is by far the best, it makes assembling packs so much easier. as for soldering irons i use a 45watt by craftsman, it only like 10.00 and comes with 3 tips it works fine for everything i use it for, i use the chisel tip for assembling batteries though for better heat transfer. the best thing is that its guaranteed for life!
on some car and trucks shrink wrap on the new 3000s and up because of there slightly larger size will keep them from fitting properly. it does do a good job of protecting the cells though as sleek mentioned.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one other thing, ok maybe two..
make sure you use a stick soldering iron, they get much hotter than gun types, so you wont need to put as much heat into the cells.
also in the assembly kits from deans i think the reason they only include the female is because that is the only one you need for the battery, they figure you probaly already have your speedo fitted with the male end. my .02 cents
Old 10-24-2002, 09:51 AM
Tech Initiate

You could always get your matched packs from ProMatch Racing. They offer matched cells at great prices, plus for $6 they'll assemble them for you. For an extra $2.50 they'll solder Deans plugs on the assembled pack.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

For a good pictorial go to:

http://www.balakracing.com/convertsidebyside.htm

This is for converting stick packs to race packs but it has the basic's. Skip down about halfway to where it says

"Here are all the cells ready to be placed in the jig"

Then follow from there. The pictures make it much easier.