Wiki Posts
Search

Who's got the best foams?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default Who's got the best foams?

Getting ready to make a large tire purchase soon (more than likely AKA's) and I'm wondering what are the best foams out there for a large, fast, bumpy Clay/loose dirt track? I hear the Proline foams are crap but what about the Ofna orange and yellows? They're really reasonably priced. How about the stock AKA foams? Any other recommendations out there?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Should mention, this is for a buggy
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would stick with the AKA foams esp if you are going to use AKA tires...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i like the ofna foams.. aka foams seem to be very good also
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like to experiment and tinker, so I think (just because they're so cheap) that I'm going to pick up both the yellow and orange Ofna's too and try them all
Old 02-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Haven't tried them yet, but I'm not so sure about the AKA foams. They seem very firm. Think you would want some give on a track that isn't so smooth. Everybody appears to be jumping on this aka bandwagon. I would like to see for myself how they actually perform...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Watch the cars exit a sweeper really close at your track when it blue grooves. You can actually see some of the tires rolling onto thier sidewalls.

Thats why Aka uses stiffer foam I think. You just adjust the suspension alittle for the diference.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yea, I was thinking I should use a softer foam to help soak up some of the bumpiness of the track. I've heard good things about AKA's tires and am definately willing to give them a go. The Crosshairs and I-Beams are the ones that I'm looking at, going to use the Pro-Line V2 wheels so my thinking is with the larger wheels the benefits of the softer foam would be even more. I'd imagine that the larger wheels will compress the foam a little more and if the foam is already stiff this will just increase the stiffness of them and make for a rougher ride through the bumps.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4ftracer
Haven't tried them yet, but I'm not so sure about the AKA foams. They seem very firm. Think you would want some give on a track that isn't so smooth. Everybody appears to be jumping on this aka bandwagon. I would like to see for myself how they actually perform...
If your track is rutted out, just run 5 wt. less shock oil. AKA foams are considerably balanced and dont bounce.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

AKA foam is already sized for large wheels.

I havent tried it personally but from what Ive seen I dont think there is another insert out there that will properly fill an AKA tire other than their own.

If I were you I would mount the AKA tires with the included inserts and save those OFNA foams for some other brand tires. I hear the new ones work really well in Panther tires.

They were talking recently on sgrid about the stiffness of the AKA foam on a rough track and most said it worked the same or better. In some cases people changed their shock oil a little but there were many reports of how surprised people were the stiff foam performed so well. I think Pavidis said the firm insert makes the tire keep its shape so it doesnt grab ruts and do weird stuff.

I cant wait till next weekend when I can finally do some testing for myself at Motorama.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the good info Jason! Wish I was up and running so I could race next weekend.............ahh well have to wait till April
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Watch the cars exit a sweeper really close at your track when it blue grooves. You can actually see some of the tires rolling onto thier sidewalls.

Thats why Aka uses stiffer foam I think. You just adjust the suspension alittle for the diference.
If a tire has grip its going to roll some..... a tire with no grip wont roll at all... something to keep in mind.

Originally Posted by mfrosty
Yea, I was thinking I should use a softer foam to help soak up some of the bumpiness of the track. I've heard good things about AKA's tires and am definately willing to give them a go. The Crosshairs and I-Beams are the ones that I'm looking at, going to use the Pro-Line V2 wheels so my thinking is with the larger wheels the benefits of the softer foam would be even more. I'd imagine that the larger wheels will compress the foam a little more and if the foam is already stiff this will just increase the stiffness of them and make for a rougher ride through the bumps.
Its really something you'll have to test, or even better take a look at what the fast guys are using at your track. Foams and compounds of tires aren't something you can guess which is going to be the best. I've only ran AKA's indoor and theyre about a second off the pace on my car. Now, outdoor it might be a different story, I havent ran them outside yet (too cold still). I've ran 9 or 10 different tire/foam combos here, its a tricky surface, and so far the VP Pro turbo trax have been the best, M3 holeshots second. I would have never guessed if I hadnt tried them
Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

[QUOTE=PTP Racing;5427763]AKA foam is already sized for large wheels.QUOTE]

So does this mean AKA wheels are the wider style? Didn't seem like it from what I saw. I have the AE wide and PL V3 wide wheels, so would the AKA's fit them properly or do I have to use the AKA wheels?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ofna foams,orange/soft-yellow/med.they come in 6 packs so by 2 packs of each.i know m3 prolines and the yellows get along well
Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

AKA wheels measure near identical to Losi wheels.

The AKA tires are very wide and the insert is larger than a Proline style molded foam.

Its the special shape of the AKA insert that gives their tires the extra width.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.