Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8IGHT RTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Losi 8IGHT RTR

What are the differences between the 8IGHT and 8IGHT RTR apart from the fast that the RTR has radio, engine etc. Are the diffs, shocks, plastics etc. the same?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They have different Chassis, Shock towers, Shock caps, motor mounts(taller, won't work with starter box), and there's grease in the diffs rather than oil.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

So the shocks are the same just different caps?

Cheers
Old 12-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Yup, and all the ones I've seen, run very well right out of the box. I'd vote it the best RTR hands down. One of them a friend has, made it into the A main last night, and finished 5th...his 1st time out driving that car, or any nitro for that matter. He's been a die hard electric guy for like 15 years. We finally talked him into 8th scale. It's a great car, and handles pretty well even with grease in the diffs. Dial it to your track and you'll e very pleased with it.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

I've heard of people having servo dramas. Is that just with the standard servos?

Cheers
Old 12-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

It seems to not really matter what servo it is. It appears to be setup, and stress. If you read through the post on the kit, you'll get a step by step explanation of the whole issue, and solutions.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

But why would the 8ight rtr have dramas with that if it is made at the factory

Cheers
Old 12-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

We don't know, and out of the three RTRs I've had personal experience with, only one has burned up throttle servos. Of the other two, one imediatly swapped his out for a better one, and the other is still running on the original. My most recent throttle servo has lasted 4-5 race days, several practice sessions, and a couple bashing sessions. The guy who burned up several in his RTR called Horizon. They said its a known issue, they're trying to come up with a solid resolution, and they will replace all the servos he burned up. When I discovered a part missing from my kit, I called Losi, and they shipped me one free of charge, no questions asked. Excelent customer support.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

I have ran 6 tanks through my 8ight RTR and so far so good. I did check the linkage for binding, installed the servo grommets, and made sure the endpoints were set right. I also deleted the overly heavy throttle return spring. It was putting too much a load on the throttle servo for my tastes. I really like this car.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

There was a guy at the track the other night that had one...we had to take his shoelaces away from he was so bummed.

Basically, he's had it for a week or two and has gone through a couple servos, shock mounts, shock caps, something happened to the wheels...oh yeah, blew out the hubs on a couple...burned out a diff...there were a few other things he mentioned, but those were the big ones...LOL

He runs it primarily at the track and he's a noob, but he's not a hack who's smashing it into walls or anything. He wants to race, but he said he hasn't been able to keep it together for more than a few laps at a time.

There are a TON of them at our track, but not RTRs. Not sure what all the differences are, but the guy we talked to was so bummed about his that my friend Jerry (natural worrywart... ) almost took his "8" kit back before he even opened it.

The guy said Horizon was really taking care of him customer service-wise (walk in and hand them broken parts, walk out with new ones), but that wouldn't help much if you didn't live extremely close like we do. The did tell him that they do know about the servo deal and that they are working on it.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have run about 1.5 gallons through my ready to run. I am on my 3rd throttle servo. 2 tanks ago I applied the fix and so far so good.

I just replaced the clutch shoes which incidentaly are different from the kit. The kit has 4 shoes the rtr has 2. You can add the other 2 shoes to the ready to run.

I dont know how that guy is breaking stuff. I have bashed mine and tracked it. I jumped it from a skateboard ramp landing on the right front tire. Nothing happened to it. I thought for sure it was trashed. I have also cartwheeled it many times and never broken anything.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
.I dont know how that guy is breaking stuff.
It's not just him...another friend of mine has had numerous problems with his as well, mostly shocks and mount stuff. I'm sure they're plenty strong overall, but they do have a few really cheesy parts that need help.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Basically the only things different from the kit that I noticed are the shock towers, chassis, hinge pin braces, shock mounts, and the flywheel only having two aluminum shoes. The diffs are the same as the kit just they have grease instead of silicon oil in them. The shock mounts are the same also.

The fact that he was a noob does have alot to do with it. An experienced driver would know not to trust the way these RTRs are put together. I went completely through my 8ight RTR and fixed a few problems I found before I ran it and had no problems. I also replaced the grease in the diffs with silicon oil. 5/7/3 seems to work well on the track.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I got A rtr also. 8 tanks other then break in through it and i'v killed 2 jr 270 and a jr 590 today. Can some one please post a link to go to for the "fix" for this problem. Thanks. Also other then the rear shock tower " from revs landing on the wing on table tops bending it" This car has been solid " oh but I did break one rear hindge pin retainer also. I'm real freakin bummed on the servo deal though. I'v been in the hobbie for 24 years and i'm ok with fixing stuff that I broke from bashing on, But the servo deal is something other then that. The 590 only lasted 8 mins of run time btw. So I don't think its a servo power issue. Probaly something with the cassie flex stress thats transferred to it.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't have a link, but the guys I know say all you need to do is get the EPA adjusted correctly and you won't have a problem.

If adjusted properly, there will be zero excess movement of the servo... if you see anything flexing at full throttle, it's not right.

Same with the brake..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.