Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know, if or when the Hpi Corvette is legal or when it would be legal to run? and Can anyone find the Pegasus bodies?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Music City Championship 2009

hey guys I got an email and post from my race director concerning one of our local racers in VTA....

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 am Post subject: Fund Raiser for Tim Buchanan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you know Tim Buchanan. He raced T/A with us all last year. Yesterday, an arsonist burned down his auto shop. He lost all his tools and a pair of motorcycles.

We are going to help him out. Every dime from the 2009 MCC will be given to Tim to help him rebuild his business.

If ever you needed a good excuse to come racing this is it. Great trophies, free food, lots of fun, and all for a good cause... to give a hand to a fellow racer.

See you on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2009 at the Music City Championship.

you are one of the nicest guys around Tim Moore...I told him about this and he was lost for words...

little info on Tim B....I know Tim very well and he is a great guy..he is a family man with wife and kids...he hasnt been able to come out and race as much due to finally getting his bodyshop up and running...he invested everything into it...once he got that going, he went out and bought a home in Madison...been there for almost a year...he and his family will really be needing as much help as possible....me and Tim will be talking to our churches this week...if you can help please do....

thanks again Tim Moore for your heart...I will talk to HPI as well today
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hobbytown North in Indianapolis has been running parking lot races on asphalt this summer. They are having a 1 day trophy race this weekend on Sunday Sept 13, 2009. While there are other classes running, VTA looks to be the biggest. So far the projected VTA turn-out is around 20.

Here is some more info (http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=262594)
Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sorry to hear about tim.

About the post jlfx tried to type. I'm sure i can read it better than most...lol
He was saying that the motor is illegal by ROAR rules and that the things that make it illegal (smaller rotor and the neo stacks along with a couple other things) are almost impossible to tech with any of the teching methods that you will find at any race. At the track a racer swapped to the 17.5 duo and was smoking everyone down the straight plus carring the same corner speed that he had been carring in the prior weeks with a "legal" motor and even with all this new hottness he was still 0.4 slower per lap than the tracks "fast guy". So his motor was faster, but he still lacked the set up and drive line to truely be fast.

I'm on the fence about the whole speedo gripe. I hear from people that dont have the new hottness in the speedo world say how its not fair and it's cheating. I think some of these people just want to have an excuse as to why they got beat. When I get beat (every freakin weekend i put my car down) I know why i got beat and am not scared to admit why. I was not consistant enough and I did not have the entire "fast" line figured out. Me and jlfx have been doing quite a bit of testing on the whole speedo dispute. we have tested with a GTB, TC spec, and 2 SPX's. The cars we used have been a FK05, t2 009, and as of late two TOP PHOTONS. The testing we have done with the TOP cars has probally been the best and most error free of the testing, because we used identical chassis, motor, batts., gearing and so on. The two cars also weighed within 10 grams of each other with shells on. First off if youre running a GTB you probally are a little pissy. The GTB did not run well against either of the LRP speedo's. Now on to the LRP's We have found that the advantage of the spx as far as VTA is conserned to not really be there if its LRP vs LRP. I'm going to skip a lot here but we tried numerous gearing, profile, and timeing changes. We are happy with the cars right now. He is running a SPX, and I have the TC spec in his sons car (currently inbetween rides). both cars are geared around 4.44 and believe it or not the tc spec will slightly (i mean slightly) pull the SPX at the far end of the straight. The two cars are almost identical as far as punch, accel, and top end are concerned. Aside from nashrcracers car that he put down the last 5 min of the enduro (wink wink TECH) I would say that these two cars are some of the fastest cars(pure linear speed no driving skill) that get set down on the tracks we go to (Nashville,Memphis, Jonesboro). At the enduro I sucked up Batman pretty bad on the back straight it was the only time i passed him all day, but it was very aparent that I had a lot more on the straight than he did I even heard him say something about the car being fast on that pass. when I made that pass I was rolling a TC spec and a SMC3200 40c pack with a 4.44 gearing. Not sure , but I think batman was running a SPX with a 4800 40c pack (correct me if i'm wrong). OK i need to wrap it up I know VTA guys are hard pressed to keep attention for more than 8 mins. The speedo is not as big of a deal as all the hype, and don't waste your time chasing a 4.2 FDR we never get close to a 4.2 and the cars are always fast on the track. While you were trying to figure out what spur and gear combo to run to put you exactly at a 4.20 you could have replaced those 2 bad bearings in the drivetrain that are really slowing your car down.

I WANT A MID 80'S MONTE CARLO SS OR A BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SHELL THATS VINTAGE TO ME
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

I ran a 104/43*2= 4.8 fdr...with SPX on profile 6(no advance timing) with SMC 4000/28c ...temps stayed around 100 or lower..even for the 28min run
Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ICEMAN
Does anyone know, if or when the Hpi Corvette is legal or when it would be legal to run? and Can anyone find the Pegasus bodies?
The Vette is not legal in the National set of rules. There are also no plans to legalize it. It might be Vintage, but it does not represent a shell that actually ran in the Trans Am series for the years represented by the class. The Vette shell is allowed at Thunder RC in Nashville and at many local tracks across the US. However if you decide you want to go with the Vette you should also paint up a shell that you know is legal so you will be prepared no matter where you go.
Originally Posted by cliferton
I WANT A MID 80'S MONTE CARLO SS OR A BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SHELL THATS VINTAGE TO ME
Im with you on the GNX. You also made a lot of sense with the speedos.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Excellent!!

We'll all look forward to the proposed spec for your upcoming "Geez cars sure SUCKED in the '80's" racing class.

Might I suggest 55T crawler motors "boosted" with 4s LiPo...that'd be fairly "representative" of the era. We'll have to talk to HPI Andy about doing bodies with panel fit lines sticking out every which way. New. And don't get me started on interiors.

I could go on and on.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Excellent!!

We'll all look forward to the proposed spec for your upcoming "Geez cars sure SUCKED in the '80's" racing class.

Might I suggest 55T crawler motors "boosted" with 4s LiPo...that'd be fairly "representative" of the era. We'll have to talk to HPI Andy about doing bodies with panel fit lines sticking out every which way. New. And don't get me started on interiors.

I could go on and on.
Aside from you dont like 80's cars I am missing your point. Oh wait. That is your point.

I want my GNX.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey all that boost.....boosted the GNX to being the fastest accelerating produced in the US when it was made yes even the vette wasnt as quick on the stomp.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

here is my vintage ride...if any co. makes a 78 Carlo...me and my brothers will by them all...lol..and they dont even race r/c..which is sad...

the purple is mine and red is my older bro's
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-car-show-2006-128.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-car-show-2006-160.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-car-show-2006.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
here is my vintage ride.....the purple is mine and red is my older bro's
Dude, your roll centers and droop settings are not jiving together, I can see it all the way from New Jersey.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

i see a bit of tweek to, but chassis flex looks good should be good on rubber.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Aside from you dont like 80's cars I am missing your point. Oh wait. That is your point.

I want my GNX.
hey all that boost.....boosted the GNX to being the fastest accelerating produced in the US when it was made yes even the vette wasnt as quick on the stomp.
My point is made. I can leave for my trip now comfortable in the knowledge that ya'll get it.

The fact that people, although probably a good bit younger than I, look back at a decade and identify the "cool" car(s) as a mid-size GM sedan with a hair dryer tacked on to the intake side is indicative that cars, indeed, SUCKED in the '80's. And most of the '70's. And a good bit of the '90's as well.

Best things that can be done with a Regal/Cutlass/Malibu/What the hell DID Pontiac call their version of the mid-size nightmare is exactly what Darkside's siblings are doing with them (arguably "art") or where we see 'em at the local round-n-round pounding each other out of existence.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Those Buicks and Monte Carlos ARE fast, until you have to turn left or right

And if you throw enough turbo at anything, it'll outrun a Vette.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is this the vintage NASCAR thread? The Regals, Montes, Grand Prix and Cutlasses all were turned into shells over tubed steel. I'm sure they raced road courses like Riverside. Maybe a Vintage NASCAR Roadcourse race? I love a good GNX at a car show. For the time it was technical marvel. But if its a turbo V6, it would run for a couple laps and then the turbo would fail on a road course. I don't think the Buick turbo 6s they put in Indy cars of that era faired much better. A friend of mine had a GN and the motor seals rotted out of it at 11K. I think its sitting in a garage in Texas where he moved. I would like the Junior Johnson Bud Number 11 please, with the vintage steel rims and HPI belted slicks or maybe the Richard Petty STP 43 Grand Prix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.