Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires tires tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am sure I am going to regret spilling the beans on this but...

I used to manage Schumacher USA. We played a big part in getting TakeOff tires launched back in the day by getting them used as spec tires at a few key races (Reedy Races, Snowbirds, Novak Race and 2004 IFMAR Worlds).

The CS27 was a legendary tire. It was inexpensive pretty fast and would last 4-5 runs in a mod sedan (twice as long in Stock and 19T). A few years later TakeOff released the RP series. The RP30 was a bit faster, just as durable and started replacing the CS27 as the spec tire of choice. Then TakeOff had some issues and disappeared from the market. The leaders of TakeOff have retired and production has been shut down since 2010.

A few months ago I started racing again. I really missed the TakeOff tires so I called some friends in Japan and got some good news. Some of the key players that designed and developed the TakeOff CS and RP tires are coming out with a new series of tires. Lets just sat they will be very RP like I will have production samples in early August. We need to do some testing but if all goes well the fans of TakeOff tires will be very happy soon.

Stay Tuned....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM

I used to manage Schumacher USA. We played a big part in getting TakeOff tires launched back in the day by getting them used as spec tires at a few key races (Reedy Races, Snowbirds, Novak Race and 2004 IFMAR Worlds).

The CS27 was a legendary tire. It was inexpensive pretty fast and would last 4-5 runs in a mod sedan (twice as long in Stock and 19T). A few years later TakeOff released the RP series. The RP30 was a bit faster, just as durable and started replacing the CS27 as the spec tire of choice. Then TakeOff had some issues and disappeared from the market. The leaders of TakeOff have retired and production has been shut down since 2010.

A few months ago I started racing again. I really missed the TakeOff tires so I called some friends in Japan and got some good news. Some of the key players that designed and developed the TakeOff CS and RP tires are coming out with a new series of tires. Lets just sat they will be very RP like I will have production samples in early August. We need to do some testing but if all goes well the fans of TakeOff tires will be very happy soon.

Stay Tuned....
I heard this exact same thing this weekend
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Stay Tuned....
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Subscribed. First time running on road (started this weekend ) and loving it. Not really clear on the TC tire stuff, air gap, insert thickness etc...
Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Stay Tuned....
I think it was 2007, the BRCA voted in the RP30 as the control tyre that year as they had been great at club racing etc for most people.
The problem was, they changed the compound slightly, this came to us as the RP30BGL (B for BRCA) and they were crap after one run. This put people off so badly from RP's that the the Sorex 32's have been voted in every year since.

Skiddins
Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Stay Tuned....
Good to know!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Stay Tuned....
Oh yeah!!!

Please put a bug in their ear to make mini tires too. I've been saving a set of RP30 mini tires not wanting to use them. Lol
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's awesome news about those tires...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i got the opportunity to run open tires on a 'rollout' carpet track (St. Catherines) this past weekend. i have to say i'm shocked as how much a difference tires makes. here are my lap times in stock (17.5t blinky) --

Sweep QTS-28 (Greens): 9.5s
CS-27 [fresh - where sealed in bag from 4yrs ago]: 9.1s
Sorex 28 / top rim / medium speedmind insert: 8.8s

these times where pretty much mimicked when running mod touring too..

i'm VERY happy my local tracks have a spec tire...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Sweep QTS-28 (Greens): 9.5s
CS-27 [fresh - where sealed in bag from 4yrs ago]: 9.1s
Sorex 28 / top rim / medium speedmind insert: 8.8s
I would like to see your results if these tires were all mounted on the same rim with the same insert, it would give the data more meaning as every other variable has been removed and we would be looking at the differences in tire compound only.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from this data is that your Sorex hand builds are faster than premounts of 2 other kinds.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Mid 2000's, running outdoor asphalt in the Florida heat, those CS27's were pretty damn good. They lasted for the most part and didn't get all shredded up in a hurry, can't say the same for certain tires I've tried afterwards.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, new Sorex tire indeed looks to be the fastes but after one run I start to unrsteering and it goes worts run by run, is the anything could be done. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take Off 27s out of stock, when will they be back Captn'
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
....The only conclusion that can be drawn from this data is that your Sorex hand builds are faster than premounts of 2 other kinds.
... on carpet!

I still find his conclusions interesting because if they are premounts, someone had to test them before production.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
The only conclusion that can be drawn from this data is that your Sorex hand builds are faster than premounts of 2 other kinds.
One instant advantage is that the Sorex's are nearly an ounce lighter over Sweeps if my memory is still working correctly. That's a lot of rotating mass that goes *poof* instantly.

Mike Slaughter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.