Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight Racer on a budget (Roller vs RTR) >

Losi 8ight Racer on a budget (Roller vs RTR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Racer on a budget (Roller vs RTR)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight Racer on a budget (Roller vs RTR)

I am looking to build up a 8ight buggy to race on my local track. I am on a tight budget, so what I was thinking is that I would buy the RTR version and run that first and then when funds are available purchase a rolled on eBay for cheap and get the upgraded parts that way....plus have back-up parts.

I know the servos are supposed to suck, but won't they be fine for a month or two?

Lets say I got straight to a race roller, aren't I looking at something like this:
Roller $500
Engine and Pipe: $300
Servos and Receiver: $250 (I have a good Spektrum radio from my Losi Ten-T)
So, something around $1,050 versus $700 for the roller.

Are there any flaws in the above? I am going to have to budget a while either way, but I figured I could map out my plan now.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
I am looking to build up a 8ight buggy to race on my local track. I am on a tight budget, so what I was thinking is that I would buy the RTR version and run that first and then when funds are available purchase a rolled on eBay for cheap and get the upgraded parts that way....plus have back-up parts.

I know the servos are supposed to suck, but won't they be fine for a month or two?

Lets say I got straight to a race roller, aren't I looking at something like this:
Roller $500

Are there any flaws in the above? I am going to have to budget a while either way, but I figured I could map out my plan now.
the servos are not that good u could take the steering servo and put it on brake and buy a descent servo and put on the steering and set your end points and that should last a little while but other than that the rest of the car is good the motor is pretty good my son still runs his motor and its on around 5-6 gallons and the remote is good i would say get that u can always up grade the rtr a little over time but you will get more opionions but i know what it is like to be on a budget.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I would look around for a good used set-up if on that tight of a budget
Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blktransam
I would look around for a good used set-up if on that tight of a budget
I am really wary of buying a used vehicle. I really doubt I will do it to start with. I can see going used to buy a 2nd 8ight down the road for upgrades, but I really don't want to start out with one that could have hidden issues.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am really wary of buying a used vehicle. I really doubt I will do it to start with. I can see going used to buy a 2nd 8ight down the road for upgrades, but I really don't want to start out with one that could have hidden issues.
Yea used can be risky. I did pick up a very nice XB808 roller for $150 last month. You might look around.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Roller $500

Get the RTR, look for a good used steering servo ( I saw someone on here selling a JR Z8800T for $40) then put the stock steering servo on the throttle. Sell your spektrum radio because the RTR comes with a DX3S. Use the money from the radio to buy a lipo battery for the starter box.

You'll be very happy with it.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Get the RTR, look for a good used steering servo ( I saw someone on here selling a JR Z8800T for $40) then put the stock steering servo on the throttle. Sell your spektrum radio because the RTR comes with a DX3S. Use the money from the radio to buy a lipo battery for the starter box.

You'll be very happy with it.
That was pretty much my plan.

PS: I already have the DX3S from my Ten-T.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

The RTR also comes with a starter box... so add that to the price of the roller.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

look at this way and then there will not be a need for further discussion on this thread.

the rtr can be had for 600 shipped. The roller about 500.

if you have ur own radio and/or dont have use for the spek radio the rtr comes with. u can easily sell it off for around 200 on ebay.

so now ur down to around 400 invested. u need servos, u wouldve needed them with the roller. so pick as u please.

the differences between have been listed many times. but the short and sweet is. a 'team' chassis and towers, shock caps and a bunch of coated parts for all intensive purposes.

well the towers are not super light weight, neither is the chassis over their rtr counterparts. i've weighed em i assure. honestly i'd prefer an rtr bend than a team down snap or crack. i didnt have any issue with rtr towers in fact. my spares never got used. flat as table when i checked em before i sold the car. rtr towers if needed sell for dirt on ebay.

the team chassis gets beat on the same as the rtr. oh its tuned flex and has sections hogged out of it. big deal. they are sandwich-coated in terms of the hard coat so just like rtr chassis, when u wear thru that razor-thin portion, then it wears just the same. if you want a really nice chassis (not necessary at this time), then go bce. if u buy the roller anyway, sell the team chassis and buy a bce from the gun

the hard coated or tri-ni treated parts are the remaining significant factor. the coatings wear off and most dont utilize their worth. if its worth at all. i didnt. i think sometimes guys dont wanna be seen with 'rtr stuff', as if its an indication that ur falice is smaller.

so...

if most all things left alone, ur 100bux under the roller, and u still have a great club racing motor, exhaust system meant for that motor, and a starter box to get going. u'll need radio gear either way.

make sense? its a stupid good deal. and i'm glad i did it, i hate that i did get rid of it, but i'm goin to attone for that the end of this mth by doing the same thing i did last yr.

man people's reactions when u run an RTR and paste them. great stuff i must say.

dont get me started on bce chassis, turbo head buttons, and re10/11 pipes and a lil more nitro, on aka tires. its a giant killer. kudos to losi for making it 'RTR', not turning it 'into an RTR'.

R
Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
look at this way and then there will not be a need for further discussion on this thread.

if you have ur own radio and/or dont have use for the spek radio the rtr comes with. u can easily sell it off for around 200 on ebay.

so now ur down to around 400 invested. u need servos, u wouldve needed them with the roller. so pick as u please.

the differences between have been listed many times. but the short and sweet is. a 'team' chassis and towers, shock caps and a bunch of coated parts for all intensive purposes.

well the towers are not super light weight, neither is the chassis over their rtr counterparts. i've weighed em i assure. honestly i'd prefer an rtr bend than a team down snap or crack. i didnt have any issue with rtr towers in fact. my spares never got used. flat as table when i checked em before i sold the car.

the team chassis gets beat on the same as the rtr. oh its tuned flex and has sections hogged out of it. big deal. they are sandwich-coated in terms of the hard coat so just like rtr chassis, when u wear thru that razor-thin portion, then it wears just the same. if you want a really nice chassis (not necessary at this time), then go bce. if u buy the roller anyway, sell the team chassis and buy a bce from the gun

the hard coated or tri-ni treated parts are the remaining significant factor. the coatings wear off and most dont utilize their worth. if its worth at all. i didnt. i think sometimes guys dont wanna be seen with 'rtr stuff', as if its an indication that ur falice is smaller.

so...

if most all things left alone, ur 100bux under the roller, and u still have a great club racing motor, exhaust system meant for that motor, and a starter box to get going. u'll need radio gear either way.

make sense? its a stupid good deal. and i'm glad i did it, i hate that i did get rid of it, but i'm goin to attone for that the end of this mth by doing the same thing i did last yr.

man people's reactions when u run an RTR and paste them. great stuff i must say.

dont get me started on bce chassis, turbo head buttons, and re10/11 pipes and a lil more nitro, on aka tires. its a giant killer. kudos to losi for making it 'RTR', not turning it 'into an RTR'.

R
i bent my rear tower on the rtr the first race at thunder alley. and the chassis is made of a softer material then the roller there for it will wear esialy.
even though, it is a great car to start with and thats why i did so.i would go with the rtr to start then buy a roller after awhile
Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultegrasti

well the towers are not super light weight, neither is the chassis over their rtr counterparts. i've weighed em i assure. honestly i'd prefer an rtr bend than a team down snap or crack. i didnt have any issue with rtr towers in fact. my spares never got used. flat as table when i checked em before i sold the car. rtr towers if needed sell for dirt on ebay.

so...

R
i completly agree wih ur second to last paragraph. i love it when another racer says " you just put a lap on me in an rtr, wow!" haha. i cant say much now since i now have a roller
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM

ok, well if u having team towers makes u feel better, those can also be had for dirt online.

the team and rtr chassis are formed the same way. razor thin coats top and bottom of the hardened alloy, then in middle is a much softer, lower grade alloy. look at ur chassis from the side. look at the side of a bce and u see its the same stock, not a sandwich.

those 3 items can be had and be around the same cost as roller, but with a better chassis now, in addition to the motor, exh, and box.

R
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Where can I find the RTR for $600 shipped? The lowest price I've seen is over $650+ Shipping.

Thanks again for all the awesome responses. And yes, it seems the RTR makes far more sense for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:44 PM

pm

SWOOP in there and get that deal lol

R
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've had no issues with my RTR. I did replace the stock servos pretty quick (might have raced with the stock units twice). I havent bent or broke any parts. Posted a number of laps equal to the tops laps in the expert class but I cant do it consistently yet. Nothing wrong with the RTR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.