Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parma Alfa touring body

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Not true. If the body didnt matter at all, then why don't we run truck bodies, or bus bodies, or for that matter why run a body at all. While you can change the setup on your car around the characteristics of a body, aerodynamics do make a difference. Remember as well that setup changes are also a give and take. You can add or subtract toe to make changes, but more toe in or out takes away top speed. I guess what I am trying to say is if the body made no difference then why would anybody do wind tunnel testing. It makes a difference.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also if bodies didn't matter, I know this is a bit radical but, if you take a 200mm gas car and run it with a approved sedan body then put a lola body on it, it is way faster. I have run just about every body that I thought might work and look good and I keep ending up back with my Parma Alpha. I have run the Proto, Losi, HPI and went back to the Parma.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Soviet- you are clueless bro. Sorry to be so honestly brutal, but if that was the case, SPONSORED racers wouldn't run a certain body from another manufacturer that they ARE NOT sponsored by just for $hits and giggles cause the sponsors get pissed. Unfortunately for them, they understand that if body X produces faster lap times than theirs the racer doesn't have much choice to be competitive.

Back to the subject- I've let a number of people use my Parma Alphas at the local carpet races and they have ALL been impressed with how good the body is. I couldn't be any more pleased with a carpet body.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whatever people. I'm not talking about bus or truck or Van bodies. I'm talking about how SILLY it is that people seem to always say the following:

"Man...I hear that the new Parma Alpha is WAAAY faster than the Mazda 6...maybe I should buy one!"

I'm talking about ROAR approved touring car bodies here. I'm saying that any major differences between them can be nullified by a properly setup car.

And about the LOLA body being faster...of course it is, considering you get a way more aerodynamic shape and about twice to three times the downforce generating surface area.

Plus...of course aerodynamics, drag-numbers and overall downforce generated DO effect the car.

However the minor differences between ROAR approved sedan types is WAY overhyped.

THATS my point...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If that were the case, why would both Barry Baker and Mike Blackstock, who are both very good at chassis setup, be running one of their sponsor's (Protoform) major competitors body (Parma Alpha)?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Jack Smash
If that were the case, why would both Barry Baker and Mike Blackstock, who are both very good at chassis setup, be running one of their sponsor's (Protoform) major competitors body (Parma Alpha)?
I dunno...because they were bored?

Or because they want different handling qualities without having to majorly change chassis setup?

I never said that the different bodies all handled the same...I simply said that none are "faster" than another.

Now if a body creates more rear downforce and you want more rear traction without screwing with your "hard-set" chassis setup...then I would understand.

However for the average racer, choosing a body and adjusting your car to suit it's quirks works just fine.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

You are correct in saying that the hype surrounding the slight differences between sedan bodies is overrated. I think that's the point you are trying to make.

But, with all other things being the same, there are very discernable differences in handling from one body to the next. These might be small and certainly will not make up for a poor handling car, but they do exist and when we are all looking for a couple tenths per lap, it's a simple decision. So, YES - one body can definately be FASTER then another, its all about lap times.

I have been running the Parma Alpha on carpet for a few weeks now and I have to agree its the "best" I've tried so far. It rotates very well and doesn't seem to slow the car down in the corners like a mazda6 or the caddy cts.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Also...another major thing to consider when comparing bodies is the fact that you need the vehicle to be at a certian speed before SUBSTANTIAL aerodynamic forces begin acting upon the car.

If your on a slow tight indoor track, the differences between various body types drops off alot.

Of course, body choice matters WAY MORE on a large high-speed track since the cars are at much higher speeds and thus the aerodynamic qualities of the various body's come into play much more.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RobertV
You are correct in saying that the hype surrounding the slight differences between sedan bodies is overrated. I think that's the point you are trying to make.

But, with all other things being the same, there are very discernable differences in handling from one body to the next. These might be small and certainly will not make up for a poor handling car, but they do exist and when we are all looking for a couple tenths per lap, it's a simple decision. So, YES - one body can definately be FASTER then another, its all about lap times.

I have been running the Parma Alpha on carpet for a few weeks now and I have to agree its the "best" I've tried so far. It rotates very well and doesn't seem to slow the car down in the corners like a mazda6 or the caddy cts.
Yes...thats the point I'm trying to make..

Read my last post and you'll see I agree further...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was running the Parma X20-which was designed around the time of the PF Stratus domination. Paul Ciccarello was running the prototype Alfa at the time. My car was handling well in alll but one fast staightaway into a tight sweeper-where I was pushing and having to crank in a lot of steering-and even then-car just dug. Paul handed me the Alfa-I readjusted my body posts-went back out-ran 8 laps-car was amazing in that corner where I was struggling as well as smoother everywhere else.

I gave thoe body back to Paul and said its too good-I dont want to get used to it (the Alfa wouldnt bre released for awhile after he let me borrow it).

So to sum-up-the body makes a big difference.

Ray
Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Soviet - All is true. But in this hobby, everyone wants to be faster. If my buddy told me the alfa is faster for him, I want one. Of course I jump on the bandwagon. If I never try it, how would I find out? I buy it not because the Pros use it, I buy it because my buddy said it helped him to get faster. Yes, proper set up is very important, but my buddy's set up skill didn't improve over night and he is faster using the alfa, it meant something for me.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

ttt