Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Take a look at Matt Howard's carpet foam setup at this thread.

I'll be running carpet for the first time this Wednesday.

Old 11-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

IMHO the stock setting of the 414m WCR is not suitable for indoor carpet - the car grips the road very very well (roll centre is very very low), and on carpet can actually make the rear tires overheat due to the somewhat extreme (-3.5 degrees) of toe in. It would be best to start with the stock 414m setting and adjust from there... but on tarmac the WCR is simply awesome.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

i was at socal raceway today and while driving my car on the track, someone pushed my tail end and made me spin out, then someone else came behind me and hit my front left wheel. after that happened, i drove my car and noticed i couldn't steer at all. so i went out and grabbed my car and noticed that my steering rack was funked. i noticed taht the impact caused the flanged bearing (the only flanged bearing in the 414M kits which goes on the steering rack) and the screw to fall out. i guess the screw itself was already loose and the impact just popped them out. so i need a new flanged bearing, but i've looked everywhere on the net, and couldn't find it anywhere! do any of u kno where i could get it? i can't believe tamiya makes it so hard to get parts.... one of the few drawbacks of owning a tamiya car in the US. but anywya, the part # is 9805646 . and i've included pictures of the part missing. if u look at the picture u can see the steering rack missing the flanged bearing. thanx. peaches.

-reflekt

my car is out of commission till i get my parts....
Attached Thumbnails TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X-steeringrack1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

another close up...
Attached Thumbnails TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X-steeringrack2.jpg  
Old 11-10-2002, 02:30 AM
Tech Master

Contact www.modeloneracing.com - I believe they have the flanged bearing in stock.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lately I've had really bad glitching with my 414M.....
But it only seems to happen when I get on power....so my first thought was arcing of the motor, but the motor is brand new, literally, this glitching happened on it's first run!!

I've been thinking it could be my servo as it is the only thing that has changed when I changed 414Ms....
What do you think? I'm pretty sure it isn't the receiver and I have swapped to check and it happens with all crystals!!

Also could it be the car? I read in an earlier thread that some guy had trouble with his HPI Pro2, and when he changed the chassis it was fine, but that seems unlikely that this is happening here?

Anyone got any idea what I can do?
Old 11-10-2002, 02:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I cannot wait to get the car now! I am just not sure if i shud build it or not! What a dilemma. The car almost looks to nice to race and been only 1/1700 its relativley rare, what do you guys think? Also does anyone know of anyone who makes thinner belts for on the 414 as my mate has a M and he was looking for some slacker thinner belts. If you look at pics of the one that wone the worlds the belts were very thin but on the 414WC edition the are the origional thick belts?. Rick
Old 11-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

9805646 Flange Bearing (2pcs) $22.10

DAMN. two bearings cost 22 bucks. does anyone else kno of any other place that might have it? like....maybe cheaper? cuz i noticed modelone racing.com has everything marked up on their prices. this stupid bearing problem is difficult to deal with. cuz not many ppl have this certain FLANGED bearing.

-reflekt
Old 11-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

I hate to sound like a broken record but, I just purchased those 630 bearings from Hiro for $6.40.

Excerpt from e-mail..
>9805646 630 Flanged Bearing (2 pcs.) $6.40
Old 11-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

awesome! thanx so much man! i hadn't bought those flanged bearings from the singapore website yet. and now u just saved me a big chunk of money. thanx!

-reflekt
Old 11-10-2002, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rccarracer
Lately I've had really bad glitching with my 414M.....
But it only seems to happen when I get on power....so my first thought was arcing of the motor, but the motor is brand new, literally, this glitching happened on it's first run!!

I've been thinking it could be my servo as it is the only thing that has changed when I changed 414Ms....
What do you think? I'm pretty sure it isn't the receiver and I have swapped to check and it happens with all crystals!!

Also could it be the car? I read in an earlier thread that some guy had trouble with his HPI Pro2, and when he changed the chassis it was fine, but that seems unlikely that this is happening here?

Anyone got any idea what I can do?
Well I know that it is not the servo or ESC, could stll be the receiver but then I would have 2 bad receivers!!
Do you think it could be the chassis? Or the way all my electronics are mounted?
But I've mounted them just like you see every 414M owner do, with the receiver under the bellcranks and the speedo between the receiver and the batteries.....
The only thing I can think of is that the receiver antenna has to be moved.....anyone got any pics of their car to show how the antenna is routed in the car?
Got any ideas about what I could do? It would be a great help....
Old 11-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Look at my pic above, I have the RX mounted on the left side. You can mount a micro-size ESC on the right, behind the servo. It keeps the RX away from the ESC and batteries as much as possible (obviously.)

If you have a regular-size servo, you can just mount the ESC on its side, taping it to the back of the servo. But make sure to space the servo a few millimeters forward.

Except for one time with my 3PDF radio, i've never had glitching problems. That time I just mounted the RX on its side (on top of the servo) and the glitching stopped.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Fine, here's a pic

Take a look at my custom Type "B" pivot block. It's just a regular type "A" block with a slot for the belt.
Attached Thumbnails TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X-11-10-02_electroniques.jpg  
Old 11-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by reflekt
9805646 Flange Bearing (2pcs) $22.10
Just a reminder, it's SGD$22.10..... not USD.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

rccarracer:

try insulating the receiver a little: i had similar problems when i had an RC10GT, whenever i had on power my system glitched. i ended up getting a new receiver. but before mounting it i insulated it from the chassis by using thicker double sided foam and also made sure that the receiver antenna didnt touch anything conductive. yes, even graphite chassis can conduct electrical noise from the motor. also try standing your receiver vertically instead of having it laid down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.