Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC10 front hex's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

It is possible that there are some axles out there that were machined undersize, but we haven't seen that yet. Please e-mail [email protected] if you feel you have this problem.

The bearing is 3/8 x 3/16 x 1/8 which is the same as the stock SC10 wheel bearing. The ID of the bearing should be .1875" +0/-.0003, which wasn't the case with the initial bearings. A couple thousandths of play is OK and actually desired in RC but beyond that can be excessive.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default wheels

Does the pro-line conversion kit allow the use of most/all wheels with a 12mm hex? Or just the pro-line wheels (i.e. unusual offset or something). I've got a bunch of Ofna 4x4 SC wheels I'd like to use on my SC10...
Old 05-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 57
Does the pro-line conversion kit allow the use of most/all wheels with a 12mm hex? Or just the pro-line wheels (i.e. unusual offset or something). I've got a bunch of Ofna 4x4 SC wheels I'd like to use on my SC10...
Yes, you can technically use any 12mm hex wheel but the protrac offset wheels (or the losi/AE sc 4x4 wheels) will give you the correct offset. The wheels you have will make the truck wider than stock, which is ok for bashing but probably will not be allowed for racing.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt @ Pro-Line
Yes, that is it but the second run is not in stores yet and will either start shipping today or Monday. The only way to tell is that the bearings now have a black rubber seal instead of just shielded.
Well I decided to try out the first version, and installed last Friday. I did not notice any more slop than the kit has to begin with. I just went with the AE bearings since there was a question about the Proline bearings. I raced on Saturday and didn't have any problems, in fact I think my truck was steering tighter, but that may have been due to some other minor changes I made.

FYI, I could only run the two spacers on the bottom, the hub would bind with 1 and 1 or both on top. Also, I don't know why PL doesn't include instructions. Not that it was real hard, but I did screw up the metal washer placement to begin with.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mrbirchum
Also, I don't know why PL doesn't include instructions. Not that it was real hard, but I did screw up the metal washer placement to begin with.
Exactly where does that metal washer go? I made a guess but not sure if it was correct...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 57
Exactly where does that metal washer go? I made a guess but not sure if it was correct...
http://prolineracing.com/images/howtos/pdfs/6068-00.pdf

Check this out (step 3) and let me know if you still have any questions. We usually don't include instructions but always make them available on our site.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Default wheel offset...

Yes, you can technically use any 12mm hex wheel but the protrac offset wheels (or the losi/AE sc 4x4 wheels) will give you the correct offset. The wheels you have will make the truck wider than stock, which is ok for bashing but probably will not be allowed for racing.
Matt. Can you summarize the "standard" offset for short course wheels that use the 12mm hex?

Is this correct?
SCTE, SC10 4x4, XXX-SCT/SCB, Slash 4x4 f/r, Slash 2wd r... all are the same offset.
But Ofna Hyper 10SC wheels make the truck wider (greater offset)?

Thanks...
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Since the bearings are the issue, you can just use the stock SC10 wheel bearings to solve the issue. We also might look at offering the boca bearings separately and discounted for those who had an issue but that hasn't been decided on yet.
Originally Posted by Odin544
The fit is exactly the same even after swapping in the factory bearings. Any chance the axle is undersized?
ive contacted u and proline CS about this, CS said they have no current solution. i measured with my calipers and the axle is undersized, infact i had/have pictures showing the axle where you can see wear marks indicating the axle is spinning inside the bearing bore. stop saying its the bearing, yes the proline bearings were crap, and the AE bearings are better. BUT, i swapped bearings, the slop wasnt as bad, but was definately there. and yes the bearings/axles are shimmed properly. the AXLES ARE THE PROBLEM!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have to admit I lost all confidence in ProLine with this. I called support explaining the exact problem and they wanted pictures. I took a video and couldn't get them back on the phone, so I emailed it to them with no response. Putting out something machined incorrectly is annoying but forgivable. Ignoring the problem isn't.

Does anyone have all the part numbers needed to convert the front to AE hexes?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Numburn
Does anyone have all the part numbers needed to convert the front to AE hexes?
I found this on another forum:

9877 SC10 Receiver box

9878 SC10 Receiver box seals

9880 Steering Blocks, hex style pair

9881 SC10 Front Axle Hex pair

9882 C clip 6

9883 SC10 Wheel hex adapters, 4

In addition you will need the following hardware

4449 4-40x3/16 Aluminum locknuts

7369 1/16" roll pins

9643 5-40 x 7/16" socket head cap screws

8-32 locknuts of your choice (6952 steel, 9834 Aluminum, or 3438 FT locknuts

SC10 4x4/Protrack offset hex wheels of your choice
I have yet to pull the trigger on the Proline kit, but I'm waiting to see if AE puts something out. I finally converted to JConcepts rear hexes and SC10-4x4 wheels, but I still have a few pairs of original SC10 fronts that are in decent shape. I'm kinda surprised people are having slop issues with the PL kit. Regardless, I haven't been able to justify piece parting the conversion from the above list. If AE doesn't put anything out, then I'll probably go with PL in a few weeks.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Numburn
I have to admit I lost all confidence in ProLine with this. Putting out something machined incorrectly is annoying but forgivable. Ignoring the problem isn't.
exactly. no more proline products for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry edit

Last edited by barry1me; 10-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.