Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Rody Tuned or NovaMax >

Rody Tuned or NovaMax

Rody Tuned or NovaMax

Old 06-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Carb Inlet

The carb inlet is the same as the one found on Rody tuned engines (albeit smaller diameter 6 mm versus 6.5 mm on the Rody) and NovaMega MS tuned engines.

I also noticed that the brass mid needle where all the fuel will flow out in the venturi is now slightly larger.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-carb_inlet.jpg  

Last edited by InitialD; 06-11-2003 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Crankcase

A brief view of the crankcase internal from the top.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-crankcase_internal.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Crankshaft Inlet

It looks exactly like the JP crankshaft with the red epoxy ramp. The crankshaft has the new 11.5 mm diameter found on the NS12 and V12 engines.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-crankshaft_inlet.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Crankshaft Outlet

Here is the view from the crankshaft outlet. The turbo scoop and the counterweights look exactly like what is done on the Sirio TUP engines and the latest JP engine.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-crankshaft_outlet.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Crankcase Carb Inlet

The front bearing is now smaller. 7 x 17 x 5 (697Z or 697RS). The normal Nova front bearings was 7 x 19 x 6 (607Z or 607 RS).
Old 06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Sleeve

There is actually not much work done here. I actually did not check the exhaust port if it was wider or higher. The difference between the JP sleeve and this one is that the one on the JP has a longer drain slanting exactly where the porting is done on this sleeve and goes in parallel to the port beside it.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-sleeve.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Default NovaMax - Crankcase Rear Side

A view of the polished and work upon exhaust port. The new main internal bearing has a internal diameter of 11.5 mm versus 11 mm on the older version.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-exhaust_and_bearing.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: NovaMax - Crankcase Carb Inlet

Originally posted by InitialD
The front bearing is now smaller. 7 x 17 x 5 (697Z or 697RS). The normal Nova front bearings was 7 x 19 x 6 (607Z or 607 RS).
Oophs, I found out I forgot to attach this one.
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-exhaust_and_bearing.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thumbs up

very nice but sadly this is out of my budget.

Q, why have a round exhaust manifold when the exhaust outlet is kinda oblong-square shape?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good question. I've noticed that the engine manufacturers have been coming out with conical headers. What are those for? my guess is that they are trying to shape the exaust system (besides the tuned pipe) so that they get optimum backpressure and flow.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by spawn
very nice but sadly this is out of my budget.

Q, why have a round exhaust manifold when the exhaust outlet is kinda oblong-square shape?
I have read somewhere that says that by making your exhaust port the same shape as the exhaust poort on the crankcase, you would contaminate the incoming fuel mix. This is bad for performance. If you make both the exhaust port on the sleeve and the exhaust port on the crankscase round, the exhaust port on the sleeve would get smaller and smaller when the piston moves upwards thus reducing performance of the engine.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some facts for you
Guys for what its worth all (I'll repeat it again ALL)the cranks for all nova based engines come of the same CNC lathes and are batched through the same heat treat process. whether you get a good one or a bad one is luck of the draw just like getting a good or bad sleeve set. These all come off the same machines also. Cranks have been prone to breakage in all the novas 12 varieties from time to time since the first rear exhaust engine appeared. It is not a chronic issue but I have seen all of them break a few cranks either through the window or at the root of the big bearing. It just happens. More power pushes the engine to the limit of material fatigue simple as that.

The new NS, the Novamax and the RB V12 will carry the 11.5 MM crank. again common crank, case and bearings. Just a badge change.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Racing 4
it is better to start the expansion early and recompress the fuel charge through a tapered header. The tuned pipe wave is more effective that way.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Motorman
Some facts for you
Guys for what its worth all (I'll repeat it again ALL)the cranks for all nova based engines come of the same CNC lathes and are batched through the same heat treat process. whether you get a good one or a bad one is luck of the draw just like getting a good or bad sleeve set. These all come off the same machines also. Cranks have been prone to breakage in all the novas 12 varieties from time to time since the first rear exhaust engine appeared. It is not a chronic issue but I have seen all of them break a few cranks either through the window or at the root of the big bearing. It just happens. More power pushes the engine to the limit of material fatigue simple as that.

The new NS, the Novamax and the RB V12 will carry the 11.5 MM crank. again common crank, case and bearings. Just a badge change.
Motorman, thanks for the info. I think it's like putting Fiat parts into a Ferrari car That is not good. I think for the high wearing parts, they should at least go through different heat treating processes.

Anyway, did you hear anything of the performance of the NovaMax besides what others have speculated? What's your take? I think a lot of people are interested in what you have to say...
Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

don't take that wrong they go through probably the best processing in the industry bar none. The process and the heat treat is adequate but there are production variations which is to be expected. More like Ferrari parts in an F1. Ferrari parts you can afford F1 you can't

do you guys actually ever sit down and think about what your crank and piston assy is actually going through to propel your car from 10 to 60 MPH over and over for an hour at a time???

Last edited by Motorman; 06-11-2003 at 09:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.