Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC10 RS vs. XXX-SCT

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Love the post, I find myself having to make a similar decision. Looking to get a new SC truck myself, (i have a blitz) for racing, and have found these two on top of my short list, along with the Kyosho SC-R.

I think you may want to head down and see what other guys are running at your track or area to get a better idea. Make sure whatever you buy, that the lhs or track stocks parts for that model for when stuff breaks and you need quick repair turnaround.

You should also check your track for the different classes that are run. My local track has a rookie class, for all beginner drivers, and there is no rules for motor size, so the RS would be fine. But when you're ready to step up to sportsmen stock, they limit you to a 17.5 turn motor, so the RS motor is out. Next class up is expert where theres again, no limit to motor size. This can all very from track to track and then theres roar's rules that will apply should you start running at these events.

I think I'm leaning towards the Losi at this point. It's less cost up front and will be a little easier to learn with being less powerful than the RS. Once you get comfortable running the losi stock, then look at the path to upgrade, which is pretty sweet. Get the TLS kit, a brushless combo, better electronics, etc.

One last suggestion would be to get the Losi roller ($170) as opposed the the rtr kit. Then pickup a cheap, but very good radio (FkySky GT3b, $35) followed by a decent brushless motor/esc combo (Hobbywing EZ run, $60)
certainly no worse than the reedy system on the RS and bam...your at less cost than the RS...good luck at let us know what you decide
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
If you plan on racing it at some point, i would say neither.
I do plan on racing, but I honestly do not care if I come in dead last. I want to learn _how_ to race. Eventually I will upgrade my current setup to better parts. So, the SC10RS sounds more appealing to me because it already comes with a brushless system. If it can't run stock, I'll run modified, and just be a straggler. Like I said, to me it's about learning to race. The XXX-SCT comes with a brushed motor, and I don't want to race brushed. I want to race brushless, and not have to invest in replacing the motor as often.

Now, Cypress suggested a good idea:

Originally Posted by Cypress
One last suggestion would be to get the Losi roller ($170) as opposed the the rtr kit. Then pickup a cheap, but very good radio (FkySky GT3b, $35) followed by a decent brushless motor/esc combo (Hobbywing EZ run, $60)
certainly no worse than the reedy system on the RS and bam...your at less cost than the RS...good luck at let us know what you decide
This is definitely appealing. I'm going to check with the racers at the track that will be opening near me to see what they are running.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

This has been one of the better "ABC vs XYZ" conversations.

Gamehedge, a few things to look at

1. What parts are supported by your LHS (If they stock AE and not Losi, well that should help make the decision for you, even though ordering parts isn't a bid deal but if you're budget is limited, you're probably not going to walk around with a ton of spares)
2. Buy a used one. I can't stress this enough. There are a WHOLE bunch of used SC10's and Losi's in the $100-$125 range for a roller. You can pick up a 17.5 brushless combo for $60-$80 and a flysky 2.4 radio for $35. I'd recommend investing in Lipos as well, as much as brushless is better than brushed, Lipos are that much better than NIMH. You can probably find someone getting rid of a whole RTR setup for $200

The benefit of used is 1. you can beat on the truck as you retune your driving skills and not feel bad LOL and 2. If you don't like it, you can generally sell it for close to what you paid for it (unlike a new one)
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I bought an SC10RS recently as a starting point for racing RC. I figured if I like it I can always upgrade to a FT later and keep the RS for parts.

I raced it for the first time this weekend. It was on a nice big track made specifically for sc trucks. The surface was loose even when it was wet. I was running my bone stock RS with my DX3R and a dsm2 reciever (3100 i think).

There aren't really rules at this place. Just one sc class and it was open. (they even let a couple 4x4's join in, one being an sc104x4 with a mild setup and stock tires)

On my first race ever I place first in the B main and 6th in the A main. This is against some powerful sc trucks. I could have used a touch more power but the lack of power kept me in control in the loose conditions.

The truck handled great, I really do love this truck. I used the stock tires and in the loose conditions they were okay at best. Pro Line calibers had the most traction out there. I also had my battery all the way back, I used my 2s 8000mah batteries to add a little weight for traction.

There was an HPI Blitz killing everyone with calibers all around and a lot of power, but he broke down and didn't make the A main.

Overall, out of the box I was competitive with the RS in my first race EVER.

Been practicing every night with it the last 2 weeks and haven't broke a thing.

Hope this helps. There weren't any losi's at the track to compare with. good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bretmd94
I bought an SC10RS recently as a starting point for racing RC. I figured if I like it I can always upgrade to a FT later and keep the RS for parts.

I raced it for the first time this weekend. It was on a nice big track made specifically for sc trucks. The surface was loose even when it was wet. I was running my bone stock RS with my DX3R and a dsm2 reciever (3100 i think).

There aren't really rules at this place. Just one sc class and it was open. (they even let a couple 4x4's join in, one being an sc104x4 with a mild setup and stock tires)

On my first race ever I place first in the B main and 6th in the A main. This is against some powerful sc trucks. I could have used a touch more power but the lack of power kept me in control in the loose conditions.

The truck handled great, I really do love this truck. I used the stock tires and in the loose conditions they were okay at best. Pro Line calibers had the most traction out there. I also had my battery all the way back, I used my 2s 8000mah batteries to add a little weight for traction.

There was an HPI Blitz killing everyone with calibers all around and a lot of power, but he broke down and didn't make the A main.

Overall, out of the box I was competitive with the RS in my first race EVER.

Been practicing every night with it the last 2 weeks and haven't broke a thing.

Hope this helps. There weren't any losi's at the track to compare with. good luck!
Great insight, thank you!

I'm really leaning towards the SC10 RS. The Blitz really sounded like a monster though...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scottgir
This has been one of the better "ABC vs XYZ" conversations.

Gamehedge, a few things to look at

1. What parts are supported by your LHS (If they stock AE and not Losi, well that should help make the decision for you, even though ordering parts isn't a bid deal but if you're budget is limited, you're probably not going to walk around with a ton of spares)
2. Buy a used one. I can't stress this enough. There are a WHOLE bunch of used SC10's and Losi's in the $100-$125 range for a roller. You can pick up a 17.5 brushless combo for $60-$80 and a flysky 2.4 radio for $35. I'd recommend investing in Lipos as well, as much as brushless is better than brushed, Lipos are that much better than NIMH. You can probably find someone getting rid of a whole RTR setup for $200

The benefit of used is 1. you can beat on the truck as you retune your driving skills and not feel bad LOL and 2. If you don't like it, you can generally sell it for close to what you paid for it (unlike a new one)
My LHS only stocks Traxxas, so that factor is moot.

I'm looking into a used truck, but I've always shied away from used stuff, especially RC. You never know what could be wrong with it. I much prefer new. That being said, I can get a hell of a deal with used.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gamehendge
My LHS only stocks Traxxas, so that factor is moot.

I'm looking into a used truck, but I've always shied away from used stuff, especially RC. You never know what could be wrong with it. I much prefer new. That being said, I can get a hell of a deal with used.
Yeah, like anywhere else, used is the unknown, but if you buy from a reputable person, you generally won't have much of an issue. If you're just not comfortable, get a new roller and used electronics. But any which way you go, you'll be happy.

Realistically, you'll probably be ecstatic with either truck. You're going to love the one you buy LOL. Go with the AE, you're an AE guy from back in the day anyway. I'm a losi guy (back in the day with my JRX2) and I race a XXX-CR buggy and a Blitz truck. (I'd sell my blitz to get a xxx-sct if the opportunity presented itself, not because one's better than the other, in fact quite the contrary, with my "driving" skills, it's not the truck that will give me an issue, it's me).
Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

It doesn't matter what truck you get, you'll more than likely love the choice that you made and love the truck. Both trucks are more than capable to be the best truck. What you will get from most people here that say what truck to get, will be their opinions only. You will get just as many votes for the XXX-SCT as you will for the SC10, though that doesn't mean that the truck is better.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scottgir
Yeah, like anywhere else, used is the unknown, but if you buy from a reputable person, you generally won't have much of an issue. If you're just not comfortable, get a new roller and used electronics. But any which way you go, you'll be happy.
Thanks for the advice!

So, if I did get a roller, the only new roller available is the XXX-SCT. Does anyone know of a way to get a new SC10 roller? Anyhow, if I get a roller, what electronics would you recommend?

As for speed and winning, I really don't care about that, so why would I be so unhappy with an RTR? As long as it handles well, I'll be happy.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Additionally, I understand that the RTR config doesn't compete with the FT Kits, but, money and time are a big issue. I have a 10 month old, and really just want the convenience of an RTR, in addition to the cost factor. So, that being said, has anyone here owned a XXX-SCT and a SC10 RS (specifically RS). Perhaps the RS RTR parts are a bit better?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Additionally, I understand that the RTR config doesn't compete with the FT Kits, but, money and time are a big issue. I have a 10 month old, and really just want the convenience of an RTR, in addition to the cost factor. So, that being said, has anyone here owned a XXX-SCT and a SC10 RS (specifically RS). Perhaps the RS RTR parts are a bit better?
i know you said you didnt want brushed. Brushed technology has come a very long way. i suggest you get a RTR XXX-SCT. Then in a year or whenever you think you are ready and can afford it, upgrade to brushless.

A stock class will allow you to learn to race the line, drive the truck, and not fight wheelspin all the time. just my .02
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Hey everyone, so I know the SC10 vs. XXX-SCT has been discussed ad nauseum, but with the advent of the SC10 Race Spec model, I can't find much comparison. What I do find is SC10 FT vs. XXX-SCT discussion.

So, here's the deal. I'm from the old school...late 80's racing and I was an AE fanboy. But, Losi and AE were the big guys and I still have the most respect for them. Well, as I said I just got back into the hobby and bought a solid basher to get re-accustomed to driving an RC car (Rustler). I'm happy with my decision, but an amazing outdoor course is opening on Long Island, NY; Gilligan's Raceway, so I want to start racing again. The last time I raced was with a TQ10 (RC10 graphite) in 89/90.

Now, money is a huge limitation, so the FT SC10 is simply not an option. I just cant afford to buy all the other parts, even though I'd love to build the kit and really learn about my car inside and out. So, that narrows it down to the SC10 RS or XXX-SCT. Forget about Kyosho or HPI; Losi and AE are my final choices. So my question, which should I go for? SC10 is already brushless, XXX I would have to upgrade which would probably make the XXX more expensive than the SC10 RS in the long run. I don't care about winning...yet. I just want to race and learn. LiPo isn't a concern for me yet. I want to learn how to race brushless and get good.

I've heard SC10 turns better but XXX has better rear traction. So, now I defer to you, oh wise ones, to help me on my path to short course awesomeness.

What to do???

Thanks,
Adam

Kyosho Ultima SC-R, best SCT out there hands down!

If you have your heart set on an RTR, the Ultima SC is an RTR, and at $170 its a steal!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-Course-Truck
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So which one are going to get?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pros and cons here. ThunderbirdJunkie currently owns a VERY dialed XXX-SCT, raced an SC10 all last year, and drove an all stock SC10 RS this past Friday with good tires on it.

SC10 RS Pros
It's been around longer, and shares almost everything you're likely to break with the T4, so an LHS even with old stock should have parts for you in stock.
The chassis has won a ton of big races, and is very decent out of the box
The RS has the V2 shocks, which are easier to build consistently than the old AE shocks you used to build, despite sharing a lot of the same parts; that bleeder cap makes a LOT of difference, believe it or not.
It's got a decent speedo, and a great motor for a stock out-of-the-box truck, and it can pull quite a bit of gear (24/84 is a good starting point; stock it's way undergeared and S L O W)

SC10 RS cons
Unstable under power; ITBJRC it comes with 3 optional toe blocks. 2.5 deg, 3 deg installed, 3.5 and 4 degree...you'll want to install the 3.5 or 4 degree as soon as you open the box
The stock servo SUUUUUUUCKS (this is the case with most RTRs, but the SC10's stock servo is exceptionally slow)
The stock speedo has absolutely no throttle feel

XXX-SCT Pros
This truck is bad-ass. Period.
Easy to set up
Tons of tuning options from the 12 years the Losi XXX platform has been around
Comes with CVA's stock; just loctite the setscrew and put some shrink tubing over the bell end of the axle and you're good to go; no dogbones like the SC10 RS
bulletproof transmission; at least two production runs of the SC10 have had diff issues
Stock tires are BAD-ASS for an outdoor track. Until they wore out, ThunderbirdJunkie used the stock Blue-compound Eclipses almost exclusively. Around 10pm when we run our main, the truck would carry the front wheels down the front straight.
Stock servo is adequate

XXX-SCT cons
Stock setup sucks
Shocks need rebuilt with new shock cartridges out of the box
Stock #56 pistons are NOWHERE NEAR the aftermarket #56 pistons you buy from Losi, so you might as well replace those when you're rebuilding the stock shocks
You need springs and shock oil, too
Captured rod ends SUUUUUUUUUUCK on outdoor tracks that get dusty; by the 2nd outdoor race with ThunderbirdJunkie's truck they were replaced with ballcups/ballstuds
Not brushless

ITBJHO, as much as he loves the XXX-SCT, in your case, the pros for the SC10 RS outweigh the cons for the XXX-SCT.

Last edited by T-BirdJunkie; 08-22-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

While I totally agree with you cman, he stated that he wanted AE or LOSI only. This could be for one of various reasons, but brand loyalty is probably the culprit, also parts availability could play a huge issue in it.

It’s really just personal opinion on the two vehicles. They did a comparison between the SC10 (non RS) and XXX-SCT in (I believe) the August issue of "Radio Control Car Action -- Short Course Racing", and they did a tuning guide on most of the RTR kits (LOSI, AE, KYOSHO, TRAXXAS, and HPI) the issue before that. There are a couple of online articles that have a few comparisons between some of the diff manufacturers, etc.

Honestly, it’s your decision in the end though. Whichever you choose, you will do fine with it. Eventually you may even pick up the other one, or a different one, etc.

Good Luck on your decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.