Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why 21.5? Atleast with 17.5 people can still use up their old supply of 27 turn brushed motors.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
USGT will be 21.5/spec

We will also be evaluating the tires as time goes on.
Thanks Rob !! Our club appreciates that as we're already doing it.
My vote for tires is x-patterns (26mm) and/or Solaris (24mm). Let the driver have the choice since body choice is already there and appearance does count for something. On that note, concours for gt cars seems to have been lost in the mix a little. Notice the lack of submissions in the rcgt pics thread. Just my opinion but gt of all kinds has focused a bit to much on the performance side and forgotten part of the context,which is "cool factor" or "style points" or whatever you want to call it. Consider really putting an effort into generating concours interest again. That will also have an effect on how a driver will build the car ( ie: 200mm or 190mm, 24mm tire vs. 26mm, etc)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
USGT will be 21.5/spec

We will also be evaluating the tires as time goes on.
17.5 would be a lot easier on guys running rcgt or tc. I think using 17.5 will bring more ppl to the event. If you look at any club racing, 17.5 is the largest or 2nd largest class. In different variables. It just seems that 21.5 & 25
5 isn't leaving enough gap between the 2 motors. Non boosted 17.5 is a good step up in speed to vta 25.5

That's just my opinion
Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

RCGT is all but dead and who cares about TC. I don't mean to sound hateful but that's the way it should be. The funny thing is that 17.5 actually created all the problems in RCGT. Between boosted esc's , timing, complaints about tire/wheel cost and WEAR, rcgt kind of imploded. The fact is that while you can fix the boost/timing issue, 17.5 STILL creates more tire wear for the majority of drivers involved than can be tolerated simply because it's just to damned fast for them. This was supposed to be a class that really caters to new drivers and those who DON'T want the high pressures of TC. Somehow the discussion turned to "How do we make it accessible for all the TC drivers" WTH ??
Keep it 21.5. Let it be a separate class that has it's own appeal. I was talking with a TC driver yesterday. He used to be part of our club. When asked about racing in 2 classes, 17.5 TC and 17.5 RCGT he said he couldn't afford it. Huh ?? Well, Rather than try to race the same car and change set ups every time between the classes , he'd have to get another car to race GT. That means 2 sets of electronics , parts, etc. That's the REAL world, Not the easy proposition that some throw out as feasible.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMHO, anything other than 26mm treaded tires is a mistake. I'm still undecided about the whole 21.5/17.5 thing. I'm not buying the whole "Find a home for the orphan motor" argument. Gonna have to get ahold of one and run it and see.

As for around here in my area, RCGT with 17.5/no boost is king, regardless of any other concerns.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Personally,I agree with you on the 26mm tires. The funny thing is that many people wanted changes to RCGT for that very reason. "Oh, the x-patterns wear badly. Oh, the x-patterns are too expensive. Oh, we shouldn't have more than 1 compound available, blah, blah, blah. I think you remember that thread. The "orphan" motor thing may not mean much and I agree. The fact is that the 21.5 is viable in some other classes but who really cares. VTA uses the 25.5 and it's basically unique to that class. The 21.5 is just a better answer IF we want to use tires that really aren't meant for 17.5 speeds, IF we want to attract new drivers, IF we want to provide existing drivers ANOTHER form of racing without the headaches of TC.
Here's another consideration. Just like VTA....try it. Next year when 17.5 ROAR sportsman rules are supposed to change and eliminate programmable esc's.....then consider upping to 17.5 IF AND ONLY IF enough people involved in the class want to.

Man, I told myself I wouldn't get to involved with this thread. It's not my call. The bottom line is that it appears GT groups will adopt whatever rules they want and I think most all of them will continue on that path. The genie is already out of the bottle....few to many will care to change 1 way or the other. Rob, you got your work cut out for you.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We've been running the originally stated USGT rules (21.5 open) with the exception of tires (X patterns only). That is how our class was designed before the rules on this thread were stated and we just haven't switched. It has rivaled VTA for numbers here in Omaha and has really thrived with solid A and B mains almost every outing. Most VTA guys picked this up as a second class and the speeds are faster yet still reasonable for guys still gaining experience. 17.5 I don't believe would have given the growth we experienced with this class. We have also had FF03's running with us and though they generally aren't contenders for a win some have been able to make the A.

I'm just stating this as a comment from the view of how things are working at the HobbyPlex in Omaha. See ya at TCS in a few weeks... oh wait wrong thread...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

21.5 it is...cya in April
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I actually think that 21.5 no boost is the right way to go for this class.

There is a great progression for the classes this way.

VTA 25.5 great nastalgia class especially for the older racers who don't have the reflexes they once had.

USGT 21.5 great controlable class for the newer younger racers that want to get into racing because of the recognizable looks of the cars and attracts the older racers who like the GT cars as well

TC 17.5 no boost TC bodies for the racer that wants to start getting serious about racing

TC 17.5 expert
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im with the 21.5 decision as well. As stated earlier, it provides a great progression in speed from VTA to Expert Sedan. It also provides a place for new people to the sport who dont want to buy new 25.5 motors or want to run the older style TA bodies to run before running 17.5 noboost/21.5 boosted sedan. (which is a slight issue at our local track. People new to the sport want the new style bodies, but arent ready skill wise for the 17.5 sedan class)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

I think you lot in the US have got a much better handle on what the amateur racer needs class wise.

Here in the UK pretty much the slowest class we have in official races is boosted 13.5, some smaller race series run 17.5 but it is mostly 13.5.

At the big national series its Mod or 10.5, they are doing a 'clubman' national series this year for slower classes but I still think you guys have the better idea. Our classes are just too fast for beginners and if you do the 'clubman' series the level of competition won't be the same. Over in the US your top guys run 17.5, I can only hope the BRCA sees the light.

I wish we had well supported classes like GT and VTA as well, cos they look fun for when you fancy a more 'scale' racing experience.

Oh and I wish we had your prices as well
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

It seems many of us are finally getting the hint. Just curious...What type of tracks do you gents race on ? I wonder if maybe you have larger tracks in general and thats why the faster speeds. So what does the BRCA have to say when the question is asked ?? I also wonder if it's because you have a broader rc base than we do. Where smaller scale racing is all but a joke here in the US...You folks seem to have a healthy 1/14 and 1/16 scale core. That leads to more tracks being available as the requirements for space are less.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoracer
It seems many of us are finally getting the hint. Just curious...What type of tracks do you gents race on ? I wonder if maybe you have larger tracks in general and thats why the faster speeds. So what does the BRCA have to say when the question is asked ?? I also wonder if it's because you have a broader rc base than we do. Where smaller scale racing is all but a joke here in the US...You folks seem to have a healthy 1/14 and 1/16 scale core. That leads to more tracks being available as the requirements for space are less.
Some of the national tracks are massive tbh but that doesn't really excuse them for the classes. Back in the day the main national series ran with 27, 19 and open mod. These days its 10.5 and mod. Those two classes, well, there isn't hat much difference between them. At some of our larger tracks the mods get clocked at about 72/3 and the 10.5 gets clocked at about 65. Now thats nothing like it used to be and is a real issue for beginners. I guess lots of people haven't said anything because for them it isn't an issue. Me for example, I'm fine running 10.5 anywhere just about but when I see younger newbies coming to my local club its just sad really. There is a 10.5 limit at the club but its indoor carpet and 10.5 is crazy fast, they don't stand a chance.

Over in the US you guys have a much better structure to club level slower classes like 17.5 and 21.5, I guess people here don't complain cos anyone good enough to handle the speed is still here and anyone not good enough has already moved on. TBH at my club it would be impossible to implement lots of classes due to numbers. I don't really know the direction we should go in, all I do know is these cars are too fast for newbies and it puts them off.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Also, this 'clubman' series is such a step down from the main national series (~17.5 no boost vs 10.5 boost and mod). I just wish there was a middle ground. Maybe main nationals being mod and 13.5 and clubmans being 17.5 boost and non boosted. Anyway rant over
Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

THAT was a rant ! You should see some of my posts.....now THAT'S ranting.
It's actually cool that you think that way. Without new drivers the hobby will just stagnate. Thankfully we've always had something to offer newer drivers whether it's TCS, VTA,GT or something else. I thought the Tamiya Challenge Series was available in Europe? Have you considered trying to start a VTA or GT class yourself ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.