What a difference a WING makes...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What a difference a WING makes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default What a difference a WING makes...

Short story.

Two weeks ago at our local slippy floor club my TA05-R was mint, TQ'd comfortably and was handling excellently. Running a Mazdaspeed 6 shell with the big wing, no slots.

Last week, I took the car across to a tarmac track, where the rule was for BRCA legal rear wings, so I cut the wing down to the smaller markings. Car was excellent again on a virtually identical chassis setup but down on power.

This weekend I was back at the slippy floor club, only changes were a new motor since the old one was past it, and the body with the small wing.

I could not get ANY rear traction all day. Even increasing the rear toe, softening the rear end and stiffening the front could not get the back end as hooked up as it had been.

So I'm wondering whether the loss of traction was mostly down to the smaller wing, whether the big wings REALLY make such a significant difference, or whether I should take a very close look at the car for an overlooked mechanical/setup problem.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

try to raise the wing by 3-4mm.. that will give you more downforce in the rear
Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I did a science experiment on this. The thread is the "Wings and Spoilers" thread.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

I had a look at your thread, very interesting, seems that there may well be a few tenths in the size of wing, and a significant difference in the driving experience.

Think I may have to pick up another Mazdaspeed 6, keep the big wing on, and do some back-to-back testing.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
I had a look at your thread, very interesting, seems that there may well be a few tenths in the size of wing, and a significant difference in the driving experience.

Think I may have to pick up another Mazdaspeed 6, keep the big wing on, and do some back-to-back testing.
Use the molded Protoform 200mm wing. It is actually 190mm. It performs alot better. I can see aerodynamics being the future of making your RC faster. Right now, your motor and batteries is what it comes down to.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes it deffinetly makes a huge difference. My wing was busted, so I got the RIDE wing kit (figured it would be best seeing it was a RIDE body) and the next meeting, I hadn't changed a single thing except the wing, it went from being planted to being the worst thing I had ever driven, was sliding all over the place. So I bought the Yokomo wing kit, which had bigger and higher downforce wings, and tried it again, it was perfect again.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You could also try moving your wing further back, I had a similar problem and that helped a lot.
Drew.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I decided to buy a new Mazdaspeed6 shell and retain the big wing.

Running it around the track back-to-back with the BRCA wing body it was clear that it was not specifically the smaller wing that was causing the rear grip problems. I'm fairly sure it was premature rear tyre wear, tyres that usually last 2-3 weeks had more or less given up after 1.

I did notice that the big wing generated more understeer (ie more rear grip). It also broke away a bit more sharply when the tail started to slide. But that was fixed by about 5% on the dual rate, couldn't account for all the lost grip.

Just re-confirms how important tyres are! Put a fresh set on and the car was flying again (albeit with the big wing staying on the car).
Old 06-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

protoform sells a "high downforce" wing set for 190mm cars.. cheaper than a new body..
Old 06-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
protoform sells a "high downforce" wing set for 190mm cars.. cheaper than a new body..
Have a part number.. or somewhere online that has them?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

there yah go
Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks... I searched Stormer but they didnt list it... I guess I should have tried Tower
Old 06-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yep that's them. of coarse, i'm not sure they are even as big as the one that comes stock on the mazda 6.. that thing is like a snow shovel straped to my car..