Wiki Posts
Search

HELP - need to get rubber tires off wrecked rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default HELP - need to get rubber tires off wrecked rims

Hey all.

For various reasons (I don't think it was my fault, others do), one rim out of a new set of 4 had the hex shreded making it useless. The tire was glued using thin CA.

Does anyone know how I can get the tire off the rim? I've tried debonder, but it didn't work.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Put the tire/wheel on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes. Make sure you use hot pad gloves and the tires will pull right off the wheels. Sounds weird, but it works great! If the tires are still stuck a little bit, you might leave them an extra 5 minutes. Just keep an eye on them, and don't forget they're in there!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Put the tire/wheel on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes. Make sure you use hot pad gloves and the tires will pull right off the wheels. Sounds weird, but it works great! If the tires are still stuck a little bit, you might leave them an extra 5 minutes. Just keep an eye on them, and don't forget they're in there!
300 DEGREES?

The wheels won't melt? Seriously, I have thrown away so many good wheels because I can't stand trying to get them off the rims.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, it works. The rims do not melt. I do it on my off road tires all the time. It also works on the onroad wheels also, as long as they are not the cheap hard plastic ones. All the good wheels are nylon based and works great. Think about when you dye wheels a different color in boiling water, the wheels don't melt. If you are in dought, try it on an old set of wheels/tires as a test. I thought the same thing when someone told me about it for the first time. They were doing this trick at an indoor offroad track, because the inserts would wear out before the tires. That way they could replace the insert, and reuse the tires.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Boil them in water in a saucepan for a few hours, make sure the water doesn't get too low and if it does top it up. It works great, only problem is you'll have to get the excess CA off the tyres if you want the tyres.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Think about when you dye wheels a different color in boiling water, the wheels don't melt.
Well thats why I was amazed at the 300 degrees! Boiling water is 212 degrees. I figured much over that and you'd have a puddle of plastic and rubber!

I will try your idea. I only want the wheels when I will be doing this. I don't care if the tires & inserts get messed up.

Thanks again for the explanation.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Acetone also works quite well, although I do believe it will eat certain types of plastic. I have used it for offroad tires before and it works awesome.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

boiling works for me i can easily peel off the tire from tamiya and speedmind rims (im not sure how other brands of rims would react to boiling ) ive also removed old foam donuts from 1/12 rims using this method. its very easy and only minimal cleanup.

i tried acetone for my offroad rims and it also works, but i prefer boiling. i suggest that you first test one method on a practice rim to see which one is easiest and safest