Wiki Posts
Search

Jrxs Type R or T2 008

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Jrxs Type R or T2 008

I know they are both good cars, But what are your thoughts on both? I would like to be able to run carpet and parking lot.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Type R is a different car to set up, so it requires a different mindset then working with other touring cars. If your competent at setting up a car, you may find the Type R frustrating as it won't respond the same as a "normal" touring car.

From what I've seen and been told the Type R can work on asphalt on rubber, but it's going to require a lot of work to get it to do so. Not as much as the 008. As a owner of a Type R I think I'd rather buy a rubber car then try to make it work.

Parts availability is about the same for each car, not every hobby shop will have parts. Horizon is a little faster to order from then RC America. The parts pipeline for XRAY is slower and less reliable.

If you've already got a lot of spare parts, springs, etc, they are basically worthless on the Type R since it requires different shock springs (proprietary sized) so you can't bum springs off someone else's car.

On another hand, XRAY has race team support. It seems like Horizon does not care about on road racing. If you want to try setups you have dozens of them to choose from on the XRAY site, with the Losi you get two setups to choose from - Dumas' or Schreffler's - which are both solid setups fortunately but are only for carpet. So your going to be a little more on your own when it comes time to move the car outside.

Also look at what your locals are running .... anyone running a Losi? You'll be the only one trying to make that car fast if nobody else is running it. At least with an XRAY you have more people trying to set the car up on the same track, someone usually finds something and you can use their setup to get you going...plus the more people who run your car the more people you can bum parts off of when you break something and run out of spares.

I like both cars. I have issues with both cars. The Losi is a great car, easiest car I've driven out of the box. Little unconventional but I like the way it's setup, you never have to tweak it - ever. It's dialed on carpet. However after spending years working with a XRAY I am a little confused how to set it up, there isn't the automatic response I have when working on a XRAY and I fall back on others to get it dialed in.

The XRAY however has it's own issues ... expensive parts (insane) and not real reliable parts delivery. If you break something it's possible to be out for 1-2 months, depending. You pay more for the luxury of the car. It's one of the easiest cars to setup in my opinion but it's also one of the easiest cars to tweak. You don't have to buy a lot of different aluminum blocks to change settings, just different sized shims which is real nice. It's also more durable than the Losi, in my opinion.

In conclusion, I'd buy both..
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are good setups for both foam and rubber on the Type R for I ran both at IIC this year. The setup on my rubber car was one I got from Schreffler and modified slightly to my liking. It works great on asphalt or carpet with that setup. Only difference going from asphalt to carpet was to pull the spool out and put the one way in it. I ran Schefflers setup for foam at IIC and the car was very good there too, just the driver was lacking for I don't have carpet to practice on. It was not twitchy or unpredictable even for my lack of experience running foam on carpet.

The one main thing that may help you decision would be part availibility. I know Xray stuff is hard to come by here in that no one stocks it, but can get it rather quickly from a local distributor.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

008 is a real nice car. I went with the losi after trying both. I liked the feel of it and the price tag on replacement parts
Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
008 is a real nice car. I went with the losi after trying both. I liked the feel of it and the price tag on replacement parts
assuming parts/price was a non issue, would you still have chosen the type-r over the 008? a consideration would be that the car will be used for asphalt/rubber racing (no carpet tracks over here). thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Type R all the way.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default comment

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. Trying to decide whether to go with an Xray or a Losi.

What I did to help me decide was to create a pro/con list. Being new to the hobby, I discovered what I wanted and it turned out to be the Type R.

As a newcomer to the hobby, I am satisfied with my kit. I love how it is predictable when driving it. I know exactly when I am reaching the limits of the car while racing it, because it tells you.

I have been racing with rubber tires at my local club and I am about 1.5 seconds slower per lap than the fastest guys at my club who race with foam tires and xray kits.

I am the only one at this time who is using this kit at my club, but the interest for the kit brews every week because people come by to have a look. The most frequent question I get asked is whether lipos fit in it. All that I can say is that I can't wait till next year because I am positive that they will be allowed. (Currently they are not)

To answer your question about ashphalt, I think the kit will do fine, if not better than you would expect. My advice, if you plan to purchase this kit, pickup a losi shock matching tool.. I think this is the most usefull thing in helping you tune your suspension. This will ensure that you get the most right to left balance for your car. Most guy would over look the shocks, but it is the small things that count.

Hope this helps you decide...

Gordon
Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I have the same question 2 days before but now I buy Losi already.

The main poin I consider is parts supply, although all people said X-ray is long lasting but so far most 008 racer in my club spend many parts such as solid axle, belt &top plate etc.

Also, the li-po generation is coming soon and the best car for it should be Losi & TM E4. I think you would not be disappoint with Lsoi. ^_^
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default xray tc

I have ran Losi and xray. I perfer xray hands down. With the JRX-S The rear toe was never equil.. losi said stick it.. somethings wrong with the xray, they send out parts all over the world for free... costomer service is much better with xray.. I broke 1/10 the parts running xray.. car is faster out of the box, more people actually running it all over. Suggestions me or you make are actually put into the idea pipeline where at losi they just don't have the same approach as they did back in the day. If price of parts doesn't hang over you, get the xray. I have a box of spare parts that I didn't have to hardly use last season. I replaced cvd pins, bent one axle, and the lil driveshaft clips get replaced a lot ... the caster blocks, camber link/ toe link ends got replaced because of slop about half way through the season. The new car also rocks your socks(008). Honestly, the only car that comes close is the tamiya car, but those cars grow slop in every part lol.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

which brand name can easy to buy parts ?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I think there is a more fundamental question that will really define your answer. Do you want to focus more on RACING or BASHING...?

If racing is the answer, then Xray is the better product, otherwise choose Losi since many kits are starting to be RTR's.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
I think there is a more fundamental question that will really define your answer. Do you want to focus more on RACING or BASHING...?

If racing is the answer, then Xray is the better product, otherwise choose Losi since many kits are starting to be RTR's.
yea cause the type r is a basher....

gotta love people that bash a car cause its not what they drive...the people that get paid to say there car is good agree that the losi is dialed...

if the xray is so great how come the same car comes out every year with revisions? and its still not 1 second a lap faster?

there were a couple guys at a race up here that drove there 007 cause there 008's were slower...was kinda weird
Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROBORAT
assuming parts/price was a non issue, would you still have chosen the type-r over the 008? a consideration would be that the car will be used for asphalt/rubber racing (no carpet tracks over here). thanks in advance!
Honestly, Price wasnt an issue but the parts availability was. The losi was really the only logical choice for me. I am very happy with the car. It handles great,it is unique,and i can get parts if i need them. The 008 was really cool also but i dont like to have an outdated car very quickly. I am one of those guys who likes to have the latest and greatest even though it does nothing for me on the track. I dont want to spend all that money and then have the car be last years model after a month or 2.Xray parts are also hard to come by locally. Im not trying to bash xray here, I just really am that anal about that kind of thing. I have had my type r for about 4 months and it is still not outdated. Makes me feel alot faster. All kidding aside, I would not change my decision if i had to do it again. The type r is a great car.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:18 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Losi guys used the brain to design the Type-R

Xray guys used the eyes.

I explain, the losi is a real well thought design, several options were for sure considered and they concluded in a stage where things are simple and logic (always the more dificult in a project).

Xray just used the eyes because since the biginnig their car is just a copy of the others, they did not spent time thinking a car from all the options they had, they just spent the time giving those already existing car design some improvements.

I decided to buy the Type-R just because of its look. Now all the others simply look some how stupid cars with the motor to one side the batteries to the other, if I was their design teacher at school I will send those projects back.

In airplanes there a saying that goes: "if it looks good, it will fly good" with the cars is the same. Losi Type-R "must" be a good car.

I believe in the future all the others will be that way.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So the Type-R is now a basher at less than a year old? Why, 'cause XRay released another car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.