Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FM or 2.4 GHz?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

buying a used spektrum system for $150 (DX3, 1 TX, 1 RX) would be the same as buying a BRAND NEW spektrum system (DX2, 1 TX, 1 RX, 2 Servos) only difference is the 3rd channel in the DX3 but not like many people use it, and you would get it brand new.

+1 on the futaba FASST systems, I switched from a DX2 to a 3PM FASST
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Why is the Futaba so much better? They have them at the shop for $199 new. I could justify the $100 or so, but $200 is pushing it. If the Futaba really is that much better I'll wait and get that. I just thought it'd be better to get a 2.4 system on the cheap now and get rid of my AM system.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
Why is the Futaba so much better? They have them at the shop for $199 new. I could justify the $100 or so, but $200 is pushing it. If the Futaba really is that much better I'll wait and get that. I just thought it'd be better to get a 2.4 system on the cheap now and get rid of my AM system.
I've tried them both they aren't any better than the Spectrum, its a bias thing.
You owe it to your self to try them all on for size. Hold one of the DX3R's in your hand and you will be sold. Check there web site and learn all you can of each radio. The DX3R uses 4 AAA batteries it so light you can forget your holding it. Save up and get a high quality radio.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM3100

Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I ran Spektrum in an M8 since it came out and I could never tell any difference between it and FM in terms of response speed. The Spek systems are also very picky about battery power and will give you problems (going into failsafe, dropping bind, etc, etc) if your TX cells and rec pack are not 100%. I used 2500 rechargable cells in the M8 and bought a new rec pack at the beginning of every outdoor race season and never had any problems.

That said, I recently picked up a Futuba 3PM w/FASST and there is a HUGE difference in response speed between the FASST and first gen Spek. I've got my steering servo speed turned down to 60% on the 3PM and it's still much quicker than it was with Spek. The LCD on the Futuba will go wonky if you leave it in direct sunlight (it's a heat thing I've been told) but returns to normal once it cools down a bit.

Several local guys who had been using Spek and FASST have switched to the DX3R (DSM2 system) and they are all happy with it. They say the response is on par with the FASST system and it's much lighter and easier to use than the rigs they switched from. If you can lay out the bucks for the DSM2 rig, I'd go with Spektrum, but given a choice between first gen DSM and FASST, I'd take the FASST. The other thing to consider with first gen Spek is how long will it be supported now that DSM2 is out.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by vw addict
Yeah I figured the 2.4 was the way to go. I don't mind spending the money for a good radio. I figure I will "get by" with my OFNA buggies for the rest of this year, then next year upgrade to a Losi buggy.
Then I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to spend the money again.
It's always been my experience that if you spend good money the right way he first time, best you can get, then you don't end up spending more money later to address something you could have done right the first time.

Buying used, or going the cheap route, always stands the risk of dealing with OPP (other people's problems).
Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i swotched from the spec to the fasst and there is a huge difference.. the 2.4 is waaaaaay faster..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs down

the reputation speaks for itself....the Futaba is the King period....and IMO the Dx3R is a Pos...feel's horrible compared to a 3pk...the throttle trow isnt adjustable and Full throttle takes FULL Action of the finger...which for n00bs may be good...but as a racer...i need that quick throttle action...and the DX3R does not have it....dollar for dollar the 3pk's gonna win every time....yes the 3pm has the EXACT same throttle trigger and feel as 3pk..well with the Faaast at least.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well... WHICH Spektrum Tx/Rx is it? Be sure it is one of the newer ones with exponential if you are going to buy it. I personally run an M8 with Spektrum module...

Spektrum is nice since you don't have to worry about frequency conflicts... but... if you work on it (i.e. change a servo, etc) it is a good idea to rebind.

I HAVE seen glitches (both mine and other people) at certain tracks under some conditions... some completely unexplained... could be as simple as a wire rubbing, etc.

I also know of a local guy who has had runaways due to (he thinks) heat issues with the Futaba system in longer mains... he's still chasing a solution. This isn't some basher either, he's a sponsored pro.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hrmmm...heat issues....never even heard about that....more details please ?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT
but... if you work on it (i.e. change a servo, etc) it is a good idea to rebind.
I don't quite understand your thinking here?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've ran a spektrum system in my M8 since the spek came out. Never had any problems with it, never one glitch ever. I've haven't even sent in my old rx's for the updates. I run 1/8, gas truck, mod truck, 1/12 scale.

I just bought the dx3r, wow is that thing light. Haven't used it yet though. After playing with it and setting it up for my cars I grabbed my m8 and ended up talking to the neighbor for a bit.. After a few minues I really noticed the weight of the m8 after I'd been holding the dx3r while programming it.

Anyhoo, I think the spektrum is probably the best investment I've made in rc. Then comes pesonal transponder, brushless, and lipo.

Any heat issues I've read about have come from guys running lipo rx packs in 1/8 scales, and the voltage regulator is what heats up and causes problems.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by Nik
I don't quite understand your thinking here?
Not my thinking, just what I've been instructed by multiple people with experience to do. I've seen it act odd after changing a servo, rebinding cured it.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

strange, ive never had or heard of that problem.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamminnay
i swotched from the spec to the fasst and there is a huge difference.. the 2.4 is waaaaaay faster..

are you even sure what you're talking about?????
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
hrmmm...heat issues....never even heard about that....more details please ?
This is only with the FAAST system and not all 2.4. The receiver gets hot and shuts down the IC circuit for thermal protection, when it cools back down you regain signal. Futaba is working on the problem as we speak, but if you race where it in the 90-100F range, run crystals until getting the updated receiver. It wil save you parts and headaches and DNF's.

One thingt o note is it seems like a bigger problem in the K car and RC8, as the receiver is closer to the motor. Drill holes all over the rx box and take all the foam padding out and you might get by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.