Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
can i get some help please >

can i get some help please

can i get some help please

Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default can i get some help please

just got this car for a deal,idk what kind it it or what motor it is it says hpi but i cant find anything on it ... cause i need a piston and sleeve for this motor,cause it starts right up runs great untill it gets hot then it dies and i cant restart it only bout 5 to maybe 7 min of run time and i still got around a half tank of fuel.
Attached Thumbnails can i get some help please-3.jpg   can i get some help please-4.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default dont know what motor

Hi cant see motor very good maybe if u pulled it out of car.have u tried riching both ends of the needles high and low end try takeing both high and low end needles back to flush and raising idle a bit.hope this helps u little bit
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default help

Originally Posted by chewydbb
just got this car for a deal,idk what kind it it or what motor it is it says hpi but i cant find anything on it ... cause i need a piston and sleeve for this motor,cause it starts right up runs great untill it gets hot then it dies and i cant restart it only bout 5 to maybe 7 min of run time and i still got around a half tank of fuel.

Looks like an older HPI car for sure.
Are you sure you want to invest more money into it.
1> Parts could be very hard to find<break a part, say a front arm, or shock tower>, and you could be screwed. Rebuilt engine, but no availiable parts to repair the car itself
2> Parts for the engine would cost more than the car is worth.
3> Lots of advancements in the 10th scale on-road cars sense that car was produced.
If you do insist on getting it up and running, you might be better off
buying a complete used engine.
Just something to think about.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

i basicly got the car for free i look at all the chassis parts in compaison to my rs4 3 there the same,even the guy at my local hobby shop siad he gets alot of ppl in with older cars buying new parts and all the belt parts compare to duratrax street force, it runs ... but not for long.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey dude,

By the sounds of it, the motor is about as good as a paper weight!!!!! The motor looks like an older generation novarossi.

Check out this website at www.rayaracing.com. Ray is the king of pinching. Send him the piston and sleeve and he will bring it back to life. You can't go wrong for 20.00 or so.

Ray has done all my motors for the past ten years.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Derek_Siciliano
Hey dude,

By the sounds of it, the motor is about as good as a paper weight!!!!! The motor looks like an older generation novarossi.

Check out this website at www.rayaracing.com. Ray is the king of pinching. Send him the piston and sleeve and he will bring it back to life. You can't go wrong for 20.00 or so.

Ray has done all my motors for the past ten years.

ill look into that thanks but the motor block says hpi
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

anyone have an hpi piston and sleeve that might work
Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can put an OS TZ 18 on it.Very fast motors for the price and thing will fly.the car looks like a hpi rs42.I have a rs4 super nitro with a tz 18 and it runs great.For the track it might not be what u want but just playing around its great.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JDOM111
You can put an OS TZ 18 on it.Very fast motors for the price and thing will fly.the car looks like a hpi rs42.I have a rs4 super nitro with a tz 18 and it runs great.For the track it might not be what u want but just playing around its great.
do you have an old motor... does anyone? for cheap?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

I have a Picco .12 JLR stock and modified with pipe, asking 150 plus postage? PM for negotiations??
Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

ive had too many probs with ofna, im orderin a new one
Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if you want reliability, i recommend OZ .12, .15, or even a .18. You'll also find that O.Z. engines are carried by many if not all hobby shops who stock r/c. Sometimes you also have to check what kind of a glow plug you have in there and the temperature outside. Using a hot plug stays hotter longer and it is mostly for cooler conditions. Using a cooler glow plug for those hot summer days is always a juggling act. Nitro engines are always tricking to deal with because you always have to check the engine's temperature range. Summer days are tricky because if it gets over 100 degrees Farenheit outside, the engines do not work well for a very long period of time. Now if you are racing, you really don't care how much abuse the engine receive...the emphasis is winning. It is usually good practice to let the engine cool down after two or three tank depending how rich or lean you have set it to. Go Brushless???

Last edited by N2Deep; 11-05-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: yes