Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Faster corner speed like pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Martin,
Need your input on this. My first time on carpet this sunday, car had oversteer condition both on and off power. I did not have sufficient time to set the car (sticking corner dots on the track ), so I did a quick "setting" by reducing the dual rate on my radio, and softening the rear (which did not help, btw).

I believe my car would perform if I had removed the rear roll bar, but I am lead to believe (can't test the track is gone, lol!) if I were to remove the rear roll bar, the recovery time for the 'canes might be longer. Front is blue roll bar. Could a high front roll center help to remove this on and off power oversteer?

Thanks!

Regards,
Alvin
Old 07-23-2002, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

hehe alvin ...... u played on carpet ?
hehehe i think ur problem is due to too soft a setup ( too much grip)

on carpet i think u need a F1 like car ( no supension travel(droop) and super stiff setting)

i think i heard a friend of mine says he runs 100w associated oil and gold associated springs to be able to run nicely on carpet ...
it was a reminder for me a newebie if i was ever to run on carpet
Old 07-23-2002, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

I started out with blue springs all around, 60wt shock oil. Car was extremely twitchy. Through the heats I brought down the sensitivity level via going to softer springs (yellow) and softer oils (50).... depends on what kinda carpet track you run at... .mine doesn't seem all that high traction!
Old 07-24-2002, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

opts i forgot to ask ....... u run same springs all aorund ??????
or front harder / rear or vice versa
Old 07-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Alvin - if you put softer springs on the front, you are INCREASING your sensitivity or off-power steering. . .

Try putting the blues back on the front, keep the yellows on the rear. 50W should be fine, it only slows the RATE of weight transfer. . .your springs determine where that weight goes.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Boomer: Odd enough so far I get more twitchy response with softer springs. I tried blues up front with yellow, front blue front/rear, the softer rear actually made my car spin out easier. No clues there, apart from taking away the blue roll bar
Old 07-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

normal alvin .......
i have the same experiance .... with the rear end spinning out easier .... with softer springs ...
i just harden it up till i am able to do a drif like turn ( rear end out)

and with softer springs i get super quick response (twichy)

and another thing i realised is that my car will be twichy in the inital turn ( lots of resposne ) and then understear out if i had harder springs in the rear ...... and if theres too much grip i spin but still control able ...

and with harder springs infront i get less response initally but nice and quick exit..... ( tail out but it looks like its pushing foword )
with too much grip slight response on the transmeter and i cannot control the car as it goes into a side drift before a 180 then going reverse ......

( recaling what happened when i tested .... i wrote it down somethere but cant remember )

based on what i remember my best guess is that u need to harden the REAR spings ; soften the front springs...; and use thickest roll bar infront
not sure of the rear roll bar

correct me if i am wrong ....
Old 07-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Guys,

What I do is to start with a good solid setup (Tony Phalen has some very good TC3 setups on his site - www.competitionx.com) and go from there. I know that they are all pretty solid setups.

I won't say that they will work completely for you, but they make a good solid starting point and then you can modify (slowly) from there.

I would say that all the symptoms you are giving sound very much like your setup is too soft in the rear and too hard in the front. The general setup that we use at SoCal (high bite, very well groomed asphalt) centers around Reds - many run Reds all the way around, I run slightly softer in the rear. . . silvers I think, with 35 oil all the way round. This with both roll bars installed.

I would go to that and slightly modify from there - also pick up the Mpower book (also available now from xxxmain)
Old 07-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys! Race is tommorrow I'll keep what you said in mind

Regards,
Alvin
Old 07-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Tech Rookie

try this setup is a great indoor carpet setupfor tc3 on shumacher carpet dragons .

front:
60wt
copper spring
2 degree caster
roll bar
camber link inner upper
shock layed down
2 degree kickup
6 droop
rear:
40wt possibly needs to be little stiffer
blue
inner upper camber link
long wheelbase
5 droop
shock layed down
roll bar

car tends to be twitchy off power but on power it flies
Old 07-27-2002, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

good luck alvin ......

try setting up the car so its easy as posible to drive ... till its boring to drive then i think u will get a pretty good result !
Old 08-01-2002, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what exactly does bump steer do? does it add more initial steering/turn-in? thanks in advance for any info.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:41 AM

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that we have released a new version of the mPowered Racing Chassis setup guide in partnership with XXXMAIN.

The content has been enhacned, and the book has been reviewed and endorced by Josh Cyrul and Chris Tosolini.

You can check it out at www.xxxmain.com or www.mpowered-racing.com

Martin Crisp

Last edited by mcrisp; 08-14-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

mcrisp - is it different from the one I purchased from you about 3 weeks ago? and if so, do I have to purchase it all over again to get the revisions?
Old 08-08-2002, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

keep this thread going... common !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.