Search
Like Tree11Likes

Newbie to on road rc needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dealer Xing
I think the Fazer is a good value if you don't plan on upgrading like I am; and there is no need to for general bashing with that car. Parts are available at my LHS and on the web. I have many Tamiya kits (from TA01 to TRF) and I think the Kyosho is a great value based on its performance and durability. Sure it lacks an ESC and a body but a TT01/02 kit don't come with Ball Bearings/oil shocks/fluid diffs/CVDs/sticky tires either. That's an easy $100+ right there
I think they come out to be around the same.
Tamiya:
$120 - TT-02 kit
$15 bearings - ( With dry lube you can run the plastic ones longer than you think )
$25 oil shocks
$20 servo
RX/TX this could be anywhere between the Gool RC $20 and the MT4 $600 - We will go with the Gool 2.4ghz rx/tx - I have one and it is basically a DX3 in a new case.

Total = $200

I did not include tires, because a few times of saucing fixed the grip issue.

The Kyosho Fazer is $249.99 + $8 shipping. RTR
Old 12-28-2020, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tamiya TT series are really good values, and if you don't mind the brand of aftermarket, there are tons of brands out there that support it. Yeah Racing makes ridiculously inexpensive parts for it as do several others. I love Kyosho, but the aftermarket and, right now, manufacturer part support is not close to what Tamiya offers.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
I think they come out to be around the same.
Tamiya:
$120 - TT-02 kit
$15 bearings - ( With dry lube you can run the plastic ones longer than you think )
$25 oil shocks
$20 servo
RX/TX this could be anywhere between the Gool RC $20 and the MT4 $600 - We will go with the Gool 2.4ghz rx/tx - I have one and it is basically a DX3 in a new case.

Total = $200

I did not include tires, because a few times of saucing fixed the grip issue.

The Kyosho Fazer is $249.99 + $8 shipping. RTR
Stock Tamiya tires are useless no matter what you do to them. Tunable Fluid diffs are also essential. Ultimately it is a personal choice. The Kyosho had everything for my needs without aftermarket hop-ups and I could go high speed right away with my own electronics. I also believe the Kyosho will survive a crash much better than the TT0x. 200mm compatibility is an additional bonus since HPI makes inexpensive and good looking 200mm bodies.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Stock Tamiya tires are useless no matter what you do to them. Tunable Fluid diffs are also essential. Ultimately it is a personal choice. The Kyosho had everything for my needs without aftermarket hop-ups and I could go high speed right away with my own electronics. I also believe the Kyosho will survive a crash much better than the TT0x. 200mm compatibility is an additional bonus since HPI makes inexpensive and good looking 200mm bodies.

Ah I gotcha. I have not experienced that. Normally the tires that come with the kits seem to do well for me, but they wear really fast.

I sauce them maybe once or twice when I first run them and it seems to change the compound. For parking lot bashing or racing, I just go with much thicker grease Red grease from the auto parts store up front and the normal yellow stuff from Tamiya in the back. If you pack it enough you can almost make a spool with that stuff.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

I use silicone ear plugs to create a spool. Works well and it is reversible with no mess.

The Kyosho tires surprisingly work well even in cold weather without sauce. However, I would not buy them individually at the suggested MSRP. There are so many aftermarket tires at bargain prices. Tamiya upgraded Radial tires are awesome too.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I use silicone ear plugs to create a spool. Works well and it is reversible with no mess.

The Kyosho tires surprisingly work well even in cold weather without sauce. However, I would not buy them individually at the suggested MSRP. There are so many aftermarket tires at bargain prices. Tamiya upgraded Radial tires are awesome too.
you can get a set of tires for under $10 from eBay or Amazon
Old 12-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Yes but those are not good enough. I am going to test an inexpensive set of Integy X-Pattern tires at $6.99 a pair this week. I have a variety of treaded tires waiting to be mounted and tested.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Suspended

That is quite ingenious, I think I might look into that mod. The grease works too, but a heck of a mess to clean up if you every want to change/refresh
Old 12-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
That is quite ingenious, I think I might look into that mod. The grease works too, but a heck of a mess to clean up if you every want to change/refresh
Silly Putty, Play Doh, and other similar materials also work to make a gear diff into a spool. For old school ball diffs, Tamiya sell 3x3mm bushings (#54424) that replace the diff balls to make a limited slip or locked diff as well.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

I bought the Kyosho Fazer MK2 kit this summer and I like it a lot. It's partially built but there's still a lot to do like add fluid to the shocks and diffs. It comes with some of the upgrades you would want on the RTR like an aluminum center drive shaft and front CVD's and it's geared for speed. They also have an extended shock end option to give a little extra clearance for rougher roads.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

If all u are doing is playing around in a parking lot the TT's are great, but if you plan on any kind of racing and its not a TT only class like Euro Truck then you are throwing your money away, halfway through your first race day you will regret the purchase. If you plan on any kind of on road racing get a S64($110) or XQ2S($170) Both will have all the adjustments you will ever need to be competitive at any level without breaking the piggy bank.
Nerobro, dman18t, gigaplex and 1 others like this.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

This screw driver for Tamiya screws and yes lube the screws as they tap the first time.https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tools...river-pro-l-2/

As for upgrading the TT cars, they works just fine out of the box (adding bearings is a good idea though).

Our club races the TT cars as a spec class with bearings. We allowed universal shafts to keep dogbones from popping out and usgt tires. Otherwise what's in the box. Esc and motor last forever, friction shocks are just fine for that speed motor. This is a good choice for improving driver skill, car doesn't do any of the work for you. They are tough and parts are cheap and plentiful.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
If all u are doing is playing around in a parking lot the TT's are great, but if you plan on any kind of racing and its not a TT only class like Euro Truck then you are throwing your money away, halfway through your first race day you will regret the purchase. If you plan on any kind of on road racing get a S64($110) or XQ2S($170) Both will have all the adjustments you will ever need to be competitive at any level without breaking the piggy bank.
This is why you don't buy a Fazer. If you're spending ANY more money, you deserve a real touring car.