Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LIPO rating system. Time for xtreme rc to do a lipo shoot out. >

LIPO rating system. Time for xtreme rc to do a lipo shoot out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIPO rating system. Time for xtreme rc to do a lipo shoot out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I donīt know this guy personally but you could contact him through his website.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Looks like someone thought Joel had a good idea.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/the-cub-re...ur-week-in-rc/
second to last paragraph.

Question is, will we see packs from Orion, SMC and Reedy represented? Assuming that the testing is well done, properly documented and representative of race conditions that the results will carry some weight for me in my next lipo purchase.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

its a shame nothing has happened yet with this.. the squid tests where fine and dandy but but the inclusion of soft pack lipos was not what i wanted. I wanted hard cased lipos and specifically ROAR hard cased lipos... Its all well and fine to show us a soft pack 8000mah pack has the highest capacity when the nearest hard pack was rated at 5400mah...

By testing only 2cell hard cased packs we will see what actual racers are using. 4000-5000+ range

With the name and respect of a magazine such as extreme known for a mostly no BS approach to rc the battery makers should jump at the chance to include there packs in such a test....

i know im starting to beat the horse here.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
its a shame nothing has happened yet with this.. the squid tests where fine and dandy but but the inclusion of soft pack lipos was not what i wanted. I wanted hard cased lipos and specifically ROAR hard cased lipos... Its all well and fine to show us a soft pack 8000mah pack has the highest capacity when the nearest hard pack was rated at 5400mah...

By testing only 2cell hard cased packs we will see what actual racers are using. 4000-5000+ range

With the name and respect of a magazine such as extreme known for a mostly no BS approach to rc the battery makers should jump at the chance to include there packs in such a test....

i know im starting to beat the horse here.
Here's the problem. No test equipment is really available, or cheap to do this test. AND without knowing what cells are in the cases what will it really matter. Tomorrow company A can change their brand of cells and you wouldn't know.

This is where NIMH has the consumer advantage. Racers were able to define cell characteristics on the track and compare. Without knowing the brand it really doesn't make sense.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

This maybe true, but a nihm in raw form also was just a tin can... Nihm sticker is equal to a lipos hard case... Really do we really know what cell is under the shrink?

Oh well i guess there really is no interest in this. Lets continue on with the RTR shoot outs and monster truck racing!

Maybe i should start looking for a 13.5BL shoot out instead? That would be another article i would love to read.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
This maybe true, but a nihm in raw form also was just a tin can... Nihm sticker is equal to a lipos hard case... Really do we really know what cell is under the shrink?

Oh well i guess there really is no interest in this. Lets continue on with the RTR shoot outs and monster truck racing!

Maybe i should start looking for a 13.5BL shoot out instead? That would be another article i would love to read.

Yes you did know. The labels all came from Sanyo, Panasonic, and the other companies that made sub-c cells. Inside the candy shell is a specific manufacturer of LIPO...origins unknown.

There is an answer, but what i'm telling you is the equipment to test this is super expensive, and in the end we're testing unknown cells. So what value is there in me saying Brand A is better when really the CELL they have is better and might not be there next shipment?

This also stops racing from testing what cells work because we don't know what brand we are running (for the most part).

If you want to just stomp your feet go ahead. I am too, but you're arguing with me when you should be demanding to know what is in what you buy.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Yes you did know. The labels all came from Sanyo, Panasonic, and the other companies that made sub-c cells. Inside the candy shell is a specific manufacturer of LIPO...origins unknown.

There is an answer, but what i'm telling you is the equipment to test this is super expensive, and in the end we're testing unknown cells. So what value is there in me saying Brand A is better when really the CELL they have is better and might not be there next shipment?

This also stops racing from testing what cells work because we don't know what brand we are running (for the most part).

If you want to just stomp your feet go ahead. I am too, but you're arguing with me when you should be demanding to know what is in what you buy.

Probably a lot of the cells are as you say, unknown, and for that matter all coming from the same place anyway. But what about certain manufacturers who claim to have exclusive battery sources (SMC, Orion)? Or are you trying to say QC is so bad it doesn't matter?

BTW battery shootouts are meaningless. Just watch the tech charts from big races.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Probably a lot of the cells are as you say, unknown, and for that matter all coming from the same place anyway. But what about certain manufacturers who claim to have exclusive battery sources (SMC, Orion)? Or are you trying to say QC is so bad it doesn't matter?

BTW battery shootouts are meaningless. Just watch the tech charts from big races.

If we knew where the cells were coming from and there are lots of manufactures of cells, that would make more sense. I don't think either SMC or Orion have the manufacturer listed on their cells anymore. Kokam or whatever it was was a selling point, but as many found out they were safer...but slower
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
pdx
Tech Apprentice

i know someone with a consumer reports account. i searched for lipo batteries on their website. i was unable to locate a single article regarding lipo batteries. heck, when i searched lipo, i kept getting lipo-suction ratings.

ha ha that wasn't what i was looking for but i saved that information to my c:\ drive anyway. you never know when you might need some fat sucked out of you. ha ha long live cheetos and redbull..

back to the subject of lipo batteries, what if we all as a forum get together and test them out ourselves?

here's my idea. we don't have access to fancy expensive equipment. but we do have access to RC cars and chargers.

a lot of people on this forum have lipo batteries. some have racer's edge others have venom. ultimately as a consumer we want to know how long the battery will last on a full charge and how the power affects the performance of our cars.

we would need to standardize how we will test the batteries in our real world simulation. what we decide on for tests is just as important as the number of times each participant run the tests. one thing i don't know how to figure out is a control for the testing. Nicad or nimh as the control? perhaps the battery that performs well in a given category will become the control for future tests. i don't now i'm just thinking out loud.

an example:

group:street car 2s
3000 mAh 10c (insert company name here) venom, duratrax, racer's edge
charge rate 1a
straight run on pavement
record length of time until energy is depleted
record distance of car

group: buggy 3s
straight run on pavement
record distance of car
group: buggy 2s
straight run on pavement
record distance of car

group: shortcourse truck 2s
run on dirt track
record distance of car

we then need to gather all the information and put it on a spreadsheet. so spreadsheet of venom battery 3000 mAh 20c 7.4v

testerA 15mins 20secs 300ft charge time 1hr
testerB 16mins 10secs 301ft charge time 1hr 13mins
testerC 13mins 45secs 320ft charge time 59mins

duratrax battery 3000 mAh 20c 7.4v

testerA 15mins 20secs 300ft charge time 1hr
testerB 16mins 10secs 301ft charge time 1hr 13mins
testerC 13mins 45secs 320ft charge time 59mins

if we we could get as many people to volunteer their time. and find someone with some solid excel skills we could come up with a fairly comprehensive set of data points. it may not be consumer reports or underwriters laboratory but it will give us an idea which batteries work well and which work not so well.

just a thought.

-pdx
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM
pdx
Tech Apprentice

i just thought of a way to get time and distance test. it's not entirely scientific but it would give us a ballpark idea of what these lipo's can do.

high school football fields normally have a quarter mile track around it. we could run our cars around the track. take the time and distance of each run. figure 10 runs to get a decent picture of what the batteries can do.

we'd have to note stock cars vs. modified cars. who knows some batteries may work very well with certain motors. who knows?

-get a stop watch (lots of cell phones have this application built in)
-fully charge the battery
-go to the local football field
-mark a starting point.
-go at full throtle
-we may have to run a little to keep up with the car when it speeds down the straight sides of the field.
-when battery dies and car stops, take note of time and estimate the distance traveled.

the more i think of this, the more i think it could work.

-pdx
Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

christmas bump.....

Any magazine brave enough to do an annual ROAR 7.4 Lipo shoot out?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

4 years since i posted this.....

The argument still comes up locally... 100$ vs 30-60$ packs. Does anyone have the balls to do proper shoot outs on ROAR 7.4 hard cased race packs???

Dont give me the bigsquid shoot out...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been using this easy method with great results.

Found this sometime ago on the net:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
I have been using this easy method with great results.
Nice.

-Mike
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, added two more battery packs to my tests today.

Tiger 3500/35c
Turnigy 3300/25c

Results here.

So far the $33+ cheapo packs are around 0.3 ~ 0.5 volts lower than $100+ pack. I love the cheapos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.