Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!! >

C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)
Default C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

I have spoken to a very reliable source at one of the lipo battery companies who told me that they recently tested their 30C battery compared to another manufacturers so called "40C". Results showed no significant difference from their 30C. Be careful guys of falling for a higher C rating from a non-reputable manufacturer. Who is doing these companies quality control? Just wanted to let you guys know what i found out. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

well, when you watch a guy with a 40c walk every other c rating you know numbers on a machine don't mean much.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
well, when you watch a guy with a 40c walk every other c rating you know numbers on a machine don't mean much.
Sure, but I think the key to what he's saying is that the number doesn't matter if its not backed up by being a pack from a quality manufacturer. Just because it says 40C doesn't mean it performs like it. Its the battery equiavalent of big exhaust on a 4 cylinder

No doubt the guys with true high C packs are going to see better performance over a normal pack (you can see a noticable jump in 20 to 28c on track most of the time).
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nsane
Sure, but I think the key to what he's saying is that the number doesn't matter if its not backed up by being a pack from a quality manufacturer. Just because it says 40C doesn't mean it performs like it. Its the battery equiavalent of big exhaust on a 4 cylinder

No doubt the guys with true high C packs are going to see better performance over a normal pack (you can see a noticable jump in 20 to 28c on track most of the time).

Precisely what i was saying, i just want guys to be careful and not get hosed on spending more money on a so called 40C that isn't truely a 40C!! I just want to help, i am not trying to bash any particular company!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

One battery company that actually delivers their C-rating is SMC. There is one big company that starts with M that doesn't and will threaten to see anyone who posts the performance data of their batteries.

When it comes to Lipo, buy the products, not the marketing. They all come from pretty much the same place but they are all not created equal.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
One battery company that actually delivers their C-rating is SMC. There is one big company that starts with M that doesn't and will threaten to see anyone who posts the performance data of their batteries.

When it comes to Lipo, buy the products, not the marketing. They all come from pretty much the same place but they are all not created equal.
How do you know that SMC delivers their C-ratings? I am playing devils advocate on this one.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

There are only two manufacturers that I know of advertising 40C ratings: ThunderPower and SMC. Both are highly reputable manufacturers, and both have published repeatable tests backing up their claims. Go over to the electric on-road forum and read 10 million posts about this.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have shown C rate test data before that proves our cells keep 90% of there rated capacity at full C discharge. Here is the info again for those who haven't seen it before.

I recently purchased equipment that will allow me to discharge up to 250 amps so I can test packs for C rate. I'm very busy at the moment but it's on my to do list as I have a feeling many companies have been using inflated C rates. They know it's pretty hard for the average guy to test for C rate as it requires a discharge setup that must do high watts which isn't cheap.
Attached Thumbnails C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!-smc40ctestresult.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Company Representative

To show how bad things can get with false C rate claims I purchased a 5200/35C pack awhile ago. I had it sent for C rate testing and it came out at 20C the way we rate our cells. This pack costs the racer 45 dollars more than our 5200/24C pack that has better C rate and capacity as the 5200/35C only had 5050mAh at 35 amp discharge.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

I am not knocking SMC's quality at all. From what i understand they use enerland cells which are known to be one of the best!! Like i said i was just playing devils advocate. I have been noticing that many people are falling for the higher C rating number and not really questioning the quality control of these companies that are mass producing them in China.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
To show how bad things can get with false C rate claims I purchased a 5200/35C pack awhile ago. I had it sent for C rate testing and it came out at 20C the way we rate our cells. This pack costs the racer 45 dollars more than our 5200/24C pack that has better C rate and capacity as the 5200/35C only had 5050mAh at 35 amp discharge.
Exactly my point Danny, i want the RC consumer to make an intelligent decision when purchasing batteries and not just fall for the mighty C rating. Thanks for your post! I want us to help our fellow RC enthusiast out.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC
I am not knocking SMC's quality at all. From what i understand they use enerland cells which are known to be one of the best!! Like i said i was just playing devils advocate. I have been noticing that many people are falling for the higher C rating number and not really questioning the quality control of these companies that are mass producing them in China.
We don't use Enerland cells. We use an exclusive supplier which only makes RC cells for us. I know it's hard to believe but that is the truth.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC
Exactly my point Danny, i want the RC consumer to make an intelligent decision when purchasing batteries and not just fall for the mighty C rating. Thanks for your post! I want us to help our fellow RC enthusiast out.
Most people buy into marketing than actual facts. It has been my experience through using them and reports by people who do independent tests that SMC batteries deliver. Other brands, not so much, but they sure do have some fancy marketing. Unfortunately some people would rather pay for marketing than actual good products.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

We don't use Enerland cells. We use an exclusive supplier which only makes RC cells for us. I know it's hard to believe but that is the truth.

I did not know that, thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Very interesting Danny.. I wish you'd tell me more. I'm doing heaps of research on Lipo cells and manufacturers. My wife's father works in the battery industry for an American company in Shanghai, he's telling me there are more battery manufacturers than I'd ever be able to comprehend. But I'm researching just the ones that are catering to the R/C market. There are only a handful of them, but some of the information can be hard to wade through. Luckily having a Taiwanese wife I'm able to speak to the battery companies and check out their native literature and info on their plants (she translates for me).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.