Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, I am new to Hangar30...raced my first race there a couple weeks ago...still pretty new to RC racing in general and still trying to get a handle on setup.

I'm curious what kind of FDR I should be shooting for to race at the Hangar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nortran11
Hey guys, I am new to Hangar30...raced my first race there a couple weeks ago...still pretty new to RC racing in general and still trying to get a handle on setup.

I'm curious what kind of FDR I should be shooting for to race at the Hangar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
question For what motor are you running ?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

I have a couple of options.....I have a 25.5 and a brushed Tamiya Torque Tuned (25 turn).
Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here are the race videos from Saturday October 14 2017 at the Magnuson Park Gym. Presented by the Seattle RC Racers

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8HEep-oWeBxWPI

Jake
Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 14Oct2017 Race Report

It seems whatever hangover our IIC racers may have been nursing did not affect their desire to race with us last night because we were sporting a full program with 58 entries and 10 heats, and that included nice group of Novices and a surprising seven intrepid Mod 1/12th scalers--and that was with Brian racing the WCICS event in Edmonton. I will also mention we had support getting the track set up and torn down. We have little to no fat in our program to trim, so there's just no way to get through the night and not be pressed up against the clock at the end. It's a very encouraging sign that guys are willing and able to hang for the teardown!

Scale Spec was a back and forth contest between Kerry, Franko, and Justin in qualifying and the main. Franko laid down a good second qual to snatch the pole from Kerry, but then Kerry went to work in the main and got it back for a good victory, and I will add that not only is his car fast, he has impeccable style with functioning headlights which are good for 0.2s on every lap!

Our Novices were a sporty bunch, and a good race formed up between Ken and McKenna, Ken a lately arrived touring driver, and McKenna 1/12th wheel we've seen before. Ken shadowed McKenna through qualifying, though she held tough and claimed the TQ. Come the main, Ken was able to take the lead at approximately the halfway mark, and try as she might, McKenna couldn't quite clean up her line to take it back. So, TQ to McKenna, and a stout win for Ken.

Stock 1/12th I tried some new things with my trusty 12R5 that elevated its abilities. I laid down a quick 43 laps, five seconds shy of Slappy's track record, but definitely on pace. I enjoyed a largely uneventful run in the main, but the real action was between Ryan and Ron for the runner-up. After eight long minutes it was Ron taking it by 0.3s over Ryan. Good stuff guys! And Ryan coming on strong.

Modified Touring was the big field of the night. We are seeing some new blood in the ranks as Dick looks to put his stock program on the shelf for the time being and get on with no-drama Mod. I hope he sticks with it as I know he is a very capable racer and these things just take a little time. In the main, Andrew looked like he was on his way to defending his pole position, but he flung it off track at the midpoint, leaving Korey to finish it out for the win, with Jake trailing a mere 3s behind. Panos and Stuart stayed steady as attrition took its toll on the field, and Stuart muscled past Panos at the last turn to take the 3rd.

Formula Un! Was relatively sedate as four capable drivers did their best to honor the tradition. Russ Dyer was on his game all night, and despite Dave's best efforts Russ slowly pulled away for a solid win. Everyone finished as they qualified, which probably makes it as much a true-to-scale class as any we offer.

Stock Touring was the Sam Show as he laid down the heat in both qualifying and the main, leaving no doubt who was the boss for the evening. The drama came further down the order as Matt, Ron, and Andrew Kaltsounis contested the 3-spot. The young Andrew ran most of the race in a solid third, though with Ron and Matt hot behind, there was consistent pressure. Andrew did tap and the two were quick to get by and sort it out between them. It was Matt who flashed some Vegas-tuned form by taking the third step on the box.

Modified 1/12th was predictably a Korey-dominated affair as he blazed to a fast 50 lap run. Minus a tap and he would have reset his record at I believe the 51 mark. Next time! We have new guys jumping into the grip crushing eye bleed that is Mod 1/12th. My best advice guys is to take it slow and give yourselves time! Consistency first, then add speed. With Mod 1/12th it doesn't work to think you can grab a monster car and somehow wrestle it to the ground. You have to take it in deliberate, patient steps.

The legendary hangar on Wednesday...it's where the cool kids will be!

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q1 14Oct2017.pdf (328.4 KB, 76 views)
Q2 14Oct2017.pdf (342.4 KB, 85 views)
Mains 14Oct2017.pdf (277.4 KB, 174 views)
R3VoLuTiOn and KR145 like this.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys,

I am new to Seattle RC Racers and wanted to say that I am having a blast racing at Hangar 30 with you all Wednesday nights. Everyone has been very kind and welcoming and that's awesome. I've spent time at other tracks and have just come away with a very sour taste from some of the elitist unhelpful attitude.

I do want to express one concern. Driver etiquette. Not on the track, but off track. One of the cardinal rules in RC racing is corner marshall after your heat. This goes without exception. You go to a big event with the pros.....you'll see guys like Ryan Cavalieri, Ryan Maifield out working the corners, sweeping the track, etc after their heat. They aren't exempt. No one is special and doesn't do it, if you can't work a corner ask someone to fill in. When we have a 5 man heat and only three guys corner marshall, it puts a serious crunch on those three guys which makes for upset drivers when their cars don't get flipped over in a timely manner. Just help out man....that's part of being in a club, everyone pulls the weight to make the night go smooth so we can all have a good time.
R3VoLuTiOn and Fritzy like this.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey there,

I'm also pretty new to racing in general, and I've been having a pretty good experience at Seattle RC Racers. I'm not the most socially apt person either, but racing with other people in general really helped me open up more to people while being out of my comfort zone just to have fun. Running on carpet's a totally different experience, but I do want to keep improving. I realized I didn't really have to sauce my tires yesterday since that's what got my slipping and sliding around.

The only minor gripe I really have so far would just be when the result sheet gets taken off after the A-Main when I was still corner marshaling with the other racers. I am aware that it gets posted online eventually, but I figured people should just take a picture of it instead of taking it before the all the races are over.

Last edited by Fritzy; 10-19-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Just wanted to further elaborate
Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just a heads up on a couple of realities that happen at H30.

Kyle is chief in charge of running the program and he generally signs for two classes. That means if he's 1 of the 4 in that heat, he will duck out to call races right afterwards. That leaves 3 marshalls on track and asking for a volunteer is not uncommon. Personally, I'd rather have Kyle on the mic instead of covering a corner (because he doesn't pay attention! Ha!) and I feel that running the program should come with a little perk. 3 marshalls can cover this track, but 4 is ideal. We also have a gentlemen that is not capable of marshaling, but we are thankful that every day he sees the sunrise and joins the kids for a little fun on the rug.

As for the main sheets: as soon as the program concludes, the clock ticks away. We have a hard, lights out, 10:30p contract with the Hangar and we do not get the luxury of dilly dallying around leisurely putting our equipment away, socializing, or race strategizing for next time. No, we need to hustle to break the program down or we run into financial overtime with penalties. So if folks are a bit put off by our abrupt conclusion to the end of the evening, trust me, its the way we have to operate. I hope that there is understanding there.

Its fantastic to see new faces! We've always made a push to welcome all. After all, this is just for fun!
T-Hawk likes this.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I miss racing at the hangar, I might be tempted to show myself if ya'll went back to no heat, huddling around the kerosene heater. Back to the roots I say!!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30, Round 2 Results

Last edited by Magnet Top; 10-20-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: I posted last years race report... only a joke fellas !
Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Just a heads up on a couple of realities that happen at H30.

Kyle is chief in charge of running the program and he generally signs for two classes. That means if he's 1 of the 4 in that heat, he will duck out to call races right afterwards. That leaves 3 marshalls on track and asking for a volunteer is not uncommon. Personally, I'd rather have Kyle on the mic instead of covering a corner (because he doesn't pay attention! Ha!) and I feel that running the program should come with a little perk. 3 marshalls can cover this track, but 4 is ideal. We also have a gentlemen that is not capable of marshaling, but we are thankful that every day he sees the sunrise and joins the kids for a little fun on the rug.

As for the main sheets: as soon as the program concludes, the clock ticks away. We have a hard, lights out, 10:30p contract with the Hangar and we do not get the luxury of dilly dallying around leisurely putting our equipment away, socializing, or race strategizing for next time. No, we need to hustle to break the program down or we run into financial overtime with penalties. So if folks are a bit put off by our abrupt conclusion to the end of the evening, trust me, its the way we have to operate. I hope that there is understanding there.

Its fantastic to see new faces! We've always made a push to welcome all. After all, this is just for fun!

That's fine, I get physically unable to do it. But when you're just being a turkey, it's another thing. I asked the driver in question on three separate occasions if he intended on helping us marshall...he walked back to his table and didn't say a word. I know I would much rather sit at my table and work on my car to try and find that missing second on the track instead of marshalling, but alas....it's something that comes with the territory.

The time sheet issue has to do with the same person. The heat is over, while we are out working the corners he takes the time sheet and vanishes into the night. It's not an issue of dilly dallying or socializing....I ran what I felt was a pretty clean A-main last night, I still have no idea what my times were if I had done any improvement over my last heat, etc. I never got to see the time sheets because after I corner marshalled the sheets were gone.

Again....I don't want to sound like I am bitching or causing trouble. It's just a little off putting when stuff like this happens. Clubs like this function smoothly because everyone pulls their weight.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nortran11
. Clubs like this function smoothly because everyone pulls their weight.
I hear you..PM me and we'll talk more. I'll find a way to get everyone on the same page and ensure we all have a good time racing.

Also, I'm almost done with the race recap, will post shortly....
Old 10-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Default Hangar 30, Round 2 Results

This was the second race of the H30 season, and for me personally there was a lot to absorb. First on the list was the volume of poor life choices processed while in Vegas at IIC, but those stories are for another time, preferably with a legally-binding non-disclosure agreement. NDA, aside, I am at liberty to discuss are the kick-ass improvements made to the H30 track build (thanks Brian, Todd, Mike, George and anyone else I missed) and the unplanned upgrade to the newest version of RC Scoring Pro. The former is all goodness and enhanced the on-track action in a big way, while the latter is the source of a “mea culpa” regarding how the race results are posted this week. It turns out the results in the new version or RCSP do not provide a summary of each round as we had in the past, which is why there are 17 files instead of 3. I’m pretty sure there’s a way to post all this stuff online in real time, so next race I’ll have an unlimited data plan on my cell phone (to tether the computer to the interwebs) and a whole bunch of unsolicited advice on how to embarrass myself less. The net result of all of this is I think I can get H30 online like Todd posts the CC results, so stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed. Now, on to the results.

Novice is awesome, and gives me faith that our hobby will thrive in the years to come. We had five (count em, five) drivers all night, and the only regular was Gary Bennett, making his return from a vacation in the Southwest and a stopover in Vegas for some Wayne Newton action and to support the SRCR contingent a IIC. Five drivers started the night, and all five finished which has to be some kind of record. In the end, Gary put his decades of RC experience to work to take the win, with Ken Christiansen second and Paul Nortness third.

Stock Touring was the Donny Banks show, with Stuart and Mike Boyle (aka Chaps) hassling him at every opportunity. Donny asserted is will by taking TQ and the win, but Stuart served notice by finishing 2nd only 1 second behind, with Mike third.

Stock 1/12 was, in a word, robust. Eight cars were fielded, which I believe is close to an all-time high for the Hangar. There’s something pure and fun about hammering a pan car over the bumps, and the top three (Bodine, Stuart and Todd) are more than willing to wax philosophical about how much they enjoy Hangar 30 pan car racing. Bottom line is if you’ve ever considered rocking one of these pocket rockets, PM me and I’ll gladly lend you my ride so you can get a taste. It’s awesome. Qualy and Main results were the same, with Stuart grabbing TQ and the win, followed by Brian and Todd.

Scale Spec was (as usual) the capper on the night. This week we were treated to visits by Donny and Mike Boyle, taking the TQ and #2 grid spots respectively, followed by Jeff Johnson who was clearly building on a strong showing at IIC. The main started with some shenanigans at the front, namely Mike and Donny roughing each other up for fun, but after a couple minutes they settled down and ran their race, with Donny taking the win, Mike second, Jeff third.

I hope to see repeat racers and some new ones when we meet again at Hangar 30 on November 1st, Mark your calendars, plan your excuses for an early exit from work, and we will see you there!

Results (all 17 of them) are attached.
Attached Files
R1_Race_01_Scale_Spec.pdf (126.8 KB, 54 views)
R1_Race_02_Scale_Spec.pdf (131.1 KB, 49 views)
R1_Race_03_Novice.pdf (128.7 KB, 50 views)
R1_Race_04_Stock_1_12.pdf (139.4 KB, 42 views)
R1_Race_05_Stock_1_12.pdf (140.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Fun fact: RCTech limits posts to 5 attachments....here are some more H30 results.
Attached Files
R1_Race_06_Stock_Touring.pdf (137.5 KB, 45 views)
R2_Race_01_Scale_Spec.pdf (131.3 KB, 41 views)
R2_Race_02_Scale_Spec.pdf (132.3 KB, 43 views)
R2_Race_03_Novice.pdf (128.2 KB, 37 views)
R2_Race_04_Stock_1_12.pdf (139.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 AM
Tech Regular

..and some more
Attached Files
R2_Race_05_Stock_1_12.pdf (141.4 KB, 65 views)
R2_Race_06_Stock_Touring.pdf (137.6 KB, 46 views)
R4_Race_02_Novice_A_Main_.pdf (126.5 KB, 67 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.