Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACE 1015 on unregulated lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't want this thread to turn into debate about whether or not it should be done...

I just want to know if this scenario has worked for others and so far the consensus is yes.

Let me turn it around. Has anyone used and fried an ACE 1015 with unregulated lipo?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
Don't want this thread to turn into debate about whether or not it should be done...

I just want to know if this scenario has worked for others and so far the consensus is yes.

Let me turn it around. Has anyone used and fried an ACE 1015 with unregulated lipo?
Yes. I sent it to ace an they were cool, but the Tech stated "Our Servos CAN NOT handle OV" I got a replacement, and told him I was running Lipo, I like ACE and Have had/Have Several (I run three classes most every week) I got spoiled with JR...They wont tell you but there stock servos handle OV pretty good... If I install an ace..I run a regulator.No Issues,
Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fast11970
They wont tell you but there stock servos handle OV pretty good... If I install an ace..I run a regulator.No Issues,
This is why I ask. I'm fairly confident that most manufacturers will underrate a product to help boost sales of their next 'big thing' that is likely just a slightly revamped version of the last 'big thing'...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
This is why I ask. I'm fairly confident that most manufacturers will underrate a product to help boost sales of their next 'big thing' that is likely just a slightly revamped version of the last 'big thing'...

No there saying it to cover their asses...if they didn't and released a statement saying "1015's LIPO READY" they would have an Influx of Broken servo's that have been overloaded and fried....imo there's no real advantage to unregulated....regulator's work just fine for the most part and shortening the life of your electronics is imo not the wisest idea.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

How about LiFe or A123 on 2S ? 6.6V nominal & perhaps 7.2V fully charged (i'm not sure)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Integra
No there saying it to cover their asses...if they didn't and released a statement saying "1015's LIPO READY" they would have an Influx of Broken servo's that have been overloaded and fried....imo there's no real advantage to unregulated....regulator's work just fine for the most part and shortening the life of your electronics is imo not the wisest idea.
If u don't think there's a difference between unregulated lipo and regulated or NiMh, u've never done a comparison. Unregulated lipo - super fast servos, holding power, no power drop off. NiMh - servos at normal speeds, power drop off. Regulated lipo - servos at normal speeds, holding power, no power drop off.

Last time out racing I had a connection problem w/ my 2300 lipo rx pack, so put in a buddies 1600 NiMh pack for qualifiers. My RC8T pushed through the corners. Fixed the connection problem b4 the main, reinstalled my lipo, no push through the corners w/ the same exact truck, same exact setup, on same exact track. Unregulated lipo is the way to go and worht it for racing. I run Futaba S9351 throttle, Hitec 5995TG steering w/ Futaba 2.4GHz 3PM and 603 rx.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
So you are willing to risk the chance of your throttle servo going out and possibly creating a run away and blowing up your mill. Not here. I run high volt servos when I use lipo thats the only safe way. I have not tried it. I am not that crazy. Why take the chance.
More chance of a runaway with a malfunctioning regulator IMO. My ACE 1015's and 1313's are both going strong unregulated.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

I have ran them with out a regualtor using DX3R, Losi 200mah Lipo and fried both in less than 3 laps, sent them back and they would not warrenty them because it was fried
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marshon50
If u don't think there's a difference between unregulated lipo and regulated or NiMh, u've never done a comparison. Unregulated lipo - super fast servos, holding power, no power drop off. NiMh - servos at normal speeds, power drop off. Regulated lipo - servos at normal speeds, holding power, no power drop off.

Last time out racing I had a connection problem w/ my 2300 lipo rx pack, so put in a buddies 1600 NiMh pack for qualifiers. My RC8T pushed through the corners. Fixed the connection problem b4 the main, reinstalled my lipo, no push through the corners w/ the same exact truck, same exact setup, on same exact track. Unregulated lipo is the way to go and worht it for racing. I run Futaba S9351 throttle, Hitec 5995TG steering w/ Futaba 2.4GHz 3PM and 603 rx.

No comment needed.

Originally Posted by token
I have ran them with out a regualtor using DX3R, Losi 200mah Lipo and fried both in less than 3 laps, sent them back and they would not warrenty them because it was fried

sucks to hear that Token....i also had problem's getting my Ace's serviced a Long time ago..and eventually gave up and stated throwing out the blown bodies and re-using the gear set if i could...imo they are sub par servo's.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Ok. To satisfy myself and the naysayers fear for the safety of others I will wait and get the Hitec HS-7940TH when it comes out and run that on the throttle. That way if 7.4 blows the ACE then I can still hit the brakes, save the innocent and buy another Hitec HV servo for steering.

The end.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
I ran my 1015's unregulated through a 603FS futaba receiver, and although I didn't smoke anything, I had a hesitation in the throttle input, car just didn't feel right, like the servo motors were cogging or something. Put in a regulator and instantly got better. May be a receiver issue or servo issue, but I get the best performance without delay when I run my regulator or 1600 nimh, I couldn't tell you which was in the car if I didn't know.
This was exactly how my 1015 acted. I had it on there for a couple mins then brought it back in and threw my NiMH pack back in. Maybe some of them work, but mine did not.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kd2777
This was exactly how my 1015 acted. I had it on there for a couple mins then brought it back in and threw my NiMH pack back in. Maybe some of them work, but mine did not.
I'm going to try mine and see if it causes the same problem.. If it does I will stick with the NiMH until I can get two 7940's.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

why dont you use a regulator?

i use the orion adjustable regulator and no problems with my aces
Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeling
How about LiFe or A123 on 2S ? 6.6V nominal & perhaps 7.2V fully charged (i'm not sure)
im running life 2s in both truggy and buggy with hitec 7955str and 1015thr on spectrum no dramas and super long run times life is the go
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by crash1
why dont you use a regulator?

i use the orion adjustable regulator and no problems with my aces
Unregulated = faster and more torque.

I guess I'm just the type of guy who wants to get the most bang for my buck. And if the servo goes bang then I'm out some bucks and it will be a lesson learned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.