Community
Wiki Posts
Search

dog bones to CVDs.. RC10GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default dog bones to CVDs.. RC10GT

woo, hey guys, my first post here, checkin out the place. ive been reading here for a while n you guys seem cool, so i think i might stay here

anywhoo, im in the process of rebuilding my RC10GT. i bought it 3rd hand used, and its my first nitro venture. ill start with what the truck had, and then ill list what ive done to it, then go over a handful of my suspension questions

originally:
megatech .16 engine
stinger 360 pipe
pretty much stock everything else

my rebuild so far has replaced the chassis (the old one was bent) both dog bones, the fuel tank, fuel lines, carbon fiber front shock tower, rear shocks, installed an O.S. .12 CVX pull start, a new futaba receiver, throttle servo, and radio, a set of RPM chrome clawz (i know i know, but they are so cheezy i had to get em), a set of pro line dirt hawgs rear, and a set of road hawgs for the front that i had lying around, which inexplicably do pretty damn well as fronts on dirt.

this week i should be getting my new muffler in from tower (stock tuned pipe) and some assorted small screws n bolts n stuff.

the next phase of the project will be replacing the dog bones n axles with CVDs. i have a set of RPM rear arms, each has a set of 1/4x3/8 flanged bearings in it. with the flanged bearings i cant use them for my dog bones so im hoping they will fit with a set of CVDs. i want to move up to CVDs anyway.

do i need different arms and or carriers for CVDs or will a CVD kit for the car work with the old carriers and bearings?

thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

btt
Old 08-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Do you have the rpm hubs (carriers)? The stock hubs definitly don't allow for flanged bearings. I think the rpm hubs use bigger, more durable bearings and they could be flanged for all I know. Right now you have 1/4th axles, the newer trucks have 3/16s axles to allow the use of bigger more durable bearings with the stock hubs. I think the cvds are available with both 1/4th and 3/16s axles, if you have the rpm hubs with the bigger bearings then you could stick with the 1/4th axles or even if you have the stock hubs you could go with the 1/4th axles but youll probably be replacing bearings more often. The only other problem is that since the 1/4th axles arent used very much anymore you will probably hhave a limited selection of rims. If you go for the 3/16s axles you will have to replace the bearings you have now with bearings that have a 3/16s ID. You also wont be able to use the rims that you have now with the 3/16s axles.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Actually I just reread you post and right now you have the 3/16s axles. In order to use the hubs with the flanged bearings (you called them arms, I assume you mean hubs) you will have to buy the cvds with the 1/4th axles and you wil have the same problem with the rims you have now not fitting.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

my carriers (youre right, not arm) i just replaced the bushings in, and those bushings were 1/4" ID. does that mean the part with the threads that the rim bolts on to is 3/16"? im confused as to what makes the axles 3/16".

either way, the rpm carriers that came WITH the car (obviously not installed) were a set of rear arms with carriers, and the carriers had a set of flanged 1/4" ID flanged bearings. with the flanged bearings in either carrier, stock or rpm, there isnt enough clearance to get the roll pin back in.

simply put, if you were going to install CVDs on my setup, how would you do it? what parts would you replace and with what?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

If you replaced the bushings with bearings that are 1/4'' ID then you have the 1/4" axles (yea the are the part with the threaded end, 1/4" is the diameter). I'm not sure what I'd do, take a look on tower hobbies and see if you can find the cvds with the 1/4" axles also look for rims that will fit the 1/4" axles (it should say what size it is in the description) do the rpm hubs have bigger bearings than the stock ones, if so a good compromise could be putting 1/4" ID bearings in the rpm hubs, that way you can still use the rims that you have. Or if you not satified with the 1/4" rim selection you could replace the bearings in either the stock or rpm hubs with 3/16" Id bearings and use the cvds with the 3/16" axles you will also have to replace all of your rear rims, so this is the most expensive alternative. You could also just stick with the stock hubs and 1/4" ID bearings and get the cvds with the 1/4" axles and keep your current rims, the cheapest option, but bearings may fail more often.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

im thinking about getting the MIP CVD kit

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAV74&P=7

which has 1/4" axles, which i can install and use right away with my stock 1/4x3/8 bushings, and when i get some cash get the rpm carrier/bearing set

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEU78&P=7

which uses 1/4x1/2 bearings instead of the 3/8s bearings.

would that be a wise move or would i be wiser getting the 3/16x1/2 (RPM) bearings for the rear carriers, and getting a 3/16" CVD kit?

both options would be about the same price, give or take a set of rear RPM chrome claws
Old 08-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

If you dont mind replacing the rear rims then I'd get the cvds with the 3/16s axles and keep the stock hubs but get bearings with a 3/16s ID.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

yeah i think ill do that. then i just need some bearings and the actual CVD kits. ill have to bake the NEW tires off the old rims lol but oh well

thanks for your help bro
Old 08-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

YOu can use the cvd from the t4. It will widen the rear end a little and make it a bit more stable. You also need to get the little cups that sit up against the bearing.