Wiki Posts
Search

Help, dirt got in my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default Help, dirt got in my engine

I was out running my RC8 yesterday, all was well for about 2 tanks. Then it started flaming out and I could not get it to stay started. I have an issue with my carb neck (new carb on the way) so I thought this was the problem. Well I just took my air filter off and this is what I found

How much damage can this do? What's the best way of cleaning it? I don't have the tools to take the bearings out.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default It's done

I know your going to hate it but it's ALL trash now. No way I can think of to save from sand blasting.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

A good place to start would be to pull the engine apart and look at the piston and sleeve to see if they damaged. You could try cleaning out the bearings and if they still feel smooth they should be alright.

To remove bearing you only need heat and a wooden spoon or dowel.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Please post back with info on how the dirt got in there, or at least how that much of it was able to get in there. I'm just curious and want to learn from it.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

PLEASE tell me it's not toast. I JUST got laid off and there's no way I can get another engine before the race season starts

Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

I would take it apart and flush it out really well with denatured alcohol. If you see scratches on the liner and/or piston you will probably have to replace those. If you don't want to take the bearings out you could leave them in but be sure to clean them out really well. If do a search on the web I am sure you can find an article on taking the engine apart. It isn't really all that complicated. Before you put it all back together make sure to dry the alcohol out and oil everything up real good with some light oil. Maybe you will get lucky and not have any damage but you can't really tell till yo tear it apart.

edit: I see you beat me to it. Do you see any scratches on the liner?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by markr04
Please post back with info on how the dirt got in there, or at least how that much of it was able to get in there. I'm just curious and want to learn from it.
I don't know how or how much, but from the looks of the top of the carb and the inside of the air cleaner it's looks like quite a bit got in there. The filter is properly installed and oiled, Zip tied tight to the carb and filter.

The engine still has great compression.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

From the pics it looks like you might have gotten away with it, but its hard to say. When you put it back together make sure you clean out the air filter and make sure it seals well onto the carby and filter.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just put the piston at BDC and shined a light inside the sleeve. I don't see ANY scratches at all.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Huckster
From the pics it looks like you might have gotten away with it, but its hard to say. When you put it back together make sure you clean out the air filter and make sure it seals well onto the carby and filter.
God I hope so! Hopefully it quit running before any damage was done.

Can I use brake cleaner to flush eveything out? And will after run oil suffice for re-lubing it?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

That is definitely a good sign.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

If your gonna use brake cleaner make sure you avoid getting it on any of the o-rings or other seals. After-run oil is fine to re0oil with, its what i use, but wait untill the engine has dried out before re-oiling
Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK, I cleaned it with both plastic safe contact cleaner and denatured alcohol, blasted it real good with my air compressor then lubed the shit out of it with after run oil. Worked it around really good by hand. Everything feels smooth, no grittiness or anything. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Clean it up and sell it on here "like new".

A guy at my local track had this happen with his RC8 air cleaner a couple of weeks ago, destroyed his engine.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a proline one sitting around that's going on this thing. Screw that RC8 filter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.