The Future of RC Racing (Your Opinions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Future of RC Racing (Your Opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default The Future of RC Racing (Your Opinions)

Well, I was sitting around and I thought that I would start a discussion on the future of off road RC racing.

Where to begin? Well, I guess I will start with the nitro vs brushless debate. Many are saying that brushless is the future of RC and that is true in many respects but I am a firm believer that there is a place for both nitro and electric. I do not think that brushless 8th scale will ever be as popular as nitro based on cost. Right now, a Neu brushless motor will set you back between $200 and $300. Lipo packs (decent powerful ones) are around $80 and you need 2. Add the cost of an ESC, fans and an expensive Lipo charger plus a buggy/truggy conversion kit, Cost for Cost, nitro and brushless are about even when you factor in nitro's need for fuel (about $20 to $25 a gallon) a starter box and an extra servo. In the long run, electric is cheaper but it can not match the sound and essence of nitro. In many regards, the brushless does have performance benefits, faster spool up time and a more linear power-band but it just does not have that same feel of nitro, which is just my opinion. Many will convert because of the cost of fuel but in all honesty, the price of fuel has not really increased all that much within the past five years. I have been in this hobby for 8 years and I have seen the price of race grade nitro increase by about 3 to 4 dollars. There is a place for both nitro and electric but only time will tell.

Now on to the buggy vs. truggy debate. I saw and explosion of truggy popularity around two years ago but all of the focus is now on the buggy. Is the truggy losing poularity. In my opinion, no. The hobby is simply in a buggy cycle. All the major manufacturers are producing buggy re-designs. Within the past year, we have seen major releases and previews from Mugen, Kyosho, Hot Bodies, Hobao, Xray, Odonnell. There are rumors of Jammin, AE and Losi updates as well. We all know that there are never truggy releases before the buggy and no company has a stand alone truggy that is not share some DNA with a buggy. With all the buggy releases out of the way, will we see another explosion of truggy releases? Many companies are till using the original truggy designs and with new buggies as a platform, there may be a host of evolved truggy designs.

To be honest, the popularity of a class is dependent upon options in terms of cars. Look at 1/10th stadium, only 5 years ago. Mugen, Kyosho, Losi and Associated all had cars in this class. Only Losi and AE remain and the cars have gone unchanged in years. The class is dead as we know it. In fact, it is no longer a ROAR class. If companies would return, we may see a return of the classes popularity. The tracks have something to do with this as well. No one like lawn darting a 1/10th stadium truck on a track with jumps spaced out for a buggy or truggy. To bring back this class, we need more 1/10th oriented tracks and more car options. You all know that you started on stadium trucks and how much fun they were. We simply need options. The buggy class is so popular because of the options. Why is 1/8th nitro onroad losing popularity, because only Kyosho and Mugen are present and that class has shown no major innovation in a decade. Yes, don't fix what is not broken but we all know that we love to research about the release of upcoming cars and innovations. It is sad, but we often need new products to spark our interest. RC is an industry like any other.

So what is your opinion? What is the future of RC Racing? Where is our hobby going to go?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Don't even start me on 1/8 onroad

In my arena, theres nowhere close to run them. Theres a facility in roseville, very close to me called Speedworld hobbies [even hosted some national event this year] which is a gorgeous world class facility. Yet for some reason, they left no room for expansion of adaptability for 1/8 onroad cars. I know theres people too, when I started running 1/8 onroad 6 or 7 years ago we would get 10-15 cars, but when tracks and LHS' closing up, the class just dried up around here.

So I don't know, who's to say. anything coming out of my mouth would lack any definitive proof and would be purely speculative. I think all these touring car guys are just scared of 1/8 onroad cars

Other classes: Buggies, ALIVE N' WELL! I really don't know much aobut the truggy deal though, I just recently got back into the hobby after a few year hiatus, and the truggies kinda got popular before I got back intot he hobby. I heard [ROAR? I think?] dropped the truggy class from its roster for next year, not sure if that was true.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

One of addendum, let me be the first to say, I am NOT HAPPY with all these pre-assembled cars. Total BS in my opinion. 80% factory assembled full race spec 1/8 buggies, what is this crap? Building kits was ALWAYS one of my favrotie parts. If the trend keeps up im definately going to buy a new XRAY buggy
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Can anyone confirm about ROAR and the truggy class for next year? I thought that it was 1/10th scale stadium that ROAR eliminated. I thought that truggy was doing well and I believe that there will be a bunch of new truggies released soon.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ROAR has dropped MT and 1/10th truck from the Nats next year. They are combining the buggy and truggy Nats into one event.

Colin
Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ya, here is the press release from ROAR as of April:

5-02-2008

On April 22nd, ROAR President Dawn Sanchez met with manufacturer representatives and Fuel Off-road Committee members in attendance at this year's Truck Nationals held at The Nitro Pit in Phoenix, Arizona. This group discussed the viability of re-combining the 1:8 Buggy Nationals with 1:8 Truck Nationals. It was decided that in order for this to work effectively, Production Monster Truck and 1:10 Gas Truck would have to be dropped from the Nationals program.

Those in attendance at the meeting were unanimous in their decision that this would be the most cost-effective method of handling Fuel Nationals. Not only would this be more cost-effective for teams and manufacturers, it would mostly help the privateer who has to go out-of-pocket for their expenses.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

everything goes in cycles in this world, We are currently at the point where popularity is at its peak and it will fall off soon, just to get big again in about 15 years.
As for cars and classes, the slower classes that are harder to drive will die, while the faster/stronger cars will live on. I see stock 1/10th classes going to a spec class tosave themselves as well
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

How does everyone feel about the truggy class? Will it last or will it lose popularity? As I said earlier, I feel that the class will explode again with a host of new truggies based on the new buggies that are set for release within the next couple of months. Truggy happens to be my favorite class but I love buggy as well (My Hyper 8.5 is alive and well).
Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

My personal opinion is that it will probably fall to the wayside, but it is hard to say. We have as many sponsored truggy racers as we do buggy drivers. I think it is based on location more than everything. I have been putting a lot of thought and effort into an idea that I came up with as soon as I saw the Slash. I noticed that Jang did a conversion that I am going to do and I personally think it will solve a lot of problems and grow the sport.

This idea is basically to put a slash body on an 1/8 scale buggy. Here is why I think it will be big. You can have immediate rivalry between all manufacturers, it is easy to convert over, you have the unlimited class that already exists, no spec class complaints, you can do gas or electric, it will perform just like a 1/8 buggy, but it will look just like a corr truck.

My research has shown that people who are outside the hobby do not like the look or understand the look of the current 1/10 scale trucks and truggys. I believe if we as an industry embrace my idea, it will grow as everyone can relate to a pick up truck and everyone can have a Ford, Chevy, etc....

At that point, the Slash class becomes more of a novice/fun class yet the unlimited class using 1/8 scales will be for the true racers. What is even better is that a person could just pull the front driveshaft and have a 2wd class. The possibilities are endless. I personally would like to see a marshall-less main where you flip over, you are done, just like real life.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

However, just in case, we are going to have a few Fusion truggies available soon..... Sport, Pro, RTR.....
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
My personal opinion is that it will probably fall to the wayside, but it is hard to say. We have as many sponsored truggy racers as we do buggy drivers. I think it is based on location more than everything. I have been putting a lot of thought and effort into an idea that I came up with as soon as I saw the Slash. I noticed that Jang did a conversion that I am going to do and I personally think it will solve a lot of problems and grow the sport.

This idea is basically to put a slash body on an 1/8 scale buggy. Here is why I think it will be big. You can have immediate rivalry between all manufacturers, it is easy to convert over, you have the unlimited class that already exists, no spec class complaints, you can do gas or electric, it will perform just like a 1/8 buggy, but it will look just like a corr truck.

My research has shown that people who are outside the hobby do not like the look or understand the look of the current 1/10 scale trucks and truggys. I believe if we as an industry embrace my idea, it will grow as everyone can relate to a pick up truck and everyone can have a Ford, Chevy, etc....

At that point, the Slash class becomes more of a novice/fun class yet the unlimited class using 1/8 scales will be for the true racers. What is even better is that a person could just pull the front driveshaft and have a 2wd class. The possibilities are endless. I personally would like to see a marshall-less main where you flip over, you are done, just like real life.
I have been talking about that exact thing for a year or so. I think it would be a lot of fun and could take off if we could just get the bodies, LOL!

Colin
Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Funny. As soon as they had a Slash at the LHS, I did this:

Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

a buggy wont drive right....nor will it fly right with that shell on.....and u have to be joking if u think those shells would last a Day of 1/8 offroad racing...they sure do look cool tho.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Great topic!

For myself, I might be forced to convert to brushless, simply because I'm going to be starting school in a while and the nitro track (Rev Raceway) is much too far for me to travel to for practice time and/or racing every weekend. That, and the nearest track (< 2 mi. - OC/RC) is indoor/electric.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Electric will surge in popularity. Nitro will not go away but even the most diehard nitro burners get frustrated if something happens to their $300 engine that they could not have prevented and no matter what, it happens to everyone once in a while. Nitro's are also finicky to tune and noisy which limits the venues where they can be run.

I think the scale looks of the Slash class have a future but I don't think buggies and truggies will go away for the same reason that guys can't leave their Slashs stock. Performance will almost always dictate the evolution of our toys (with touring cars being the glaring exception). I'd like to see Truggy class go away and become more of a scale class like the new Slayer, except with buggy/truggy architecture and more of a spec style, ie. slower engine, less grip/spec tire.

A big limiter of offroad right now is property access. 1/8 nitros are noisy and require a huge chunk of land to race well. A slash/slayer type of class would boost realism and with a slower platform and tires that wouldn't disentigrate on pavement we could get back to "dirt lot" type racing where part of the track could be in dirt and part could be on pavement (I'm thinking of those peices of land that exist on the outskirts of typical mall properties). The hobby would be closer to crowds of people that weren't seeking it and you'd then have 100's of kids begging their parents for RC stuff, like they used to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.