Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brands of fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation brands of fuel???

i've been using HPI 20% nitro fuel, even though I have only run 1 quart through my engine and never used any other fuel it seems to work great. but as most of you probably know a quart doesn't last very long. In my search for the same fuel (since I broke my engine in with it) I have had a numerous number of our not so good local hobby shops tell me that the type of fuel really doesn't make a difference. one guy (who I personally cant stand, but he owns the closest thing to a hobby shop around here) said that he has been racing for 33 years and never noticed a difference between fuels or had any problem switching. i may be new to RC but I dont think I am that stupid. OOH and 1 hobby shop told me all the fuels are basicly the same and it doesn't matter what I use.

for my HPI NMT with the .15FE should I do my best to stick with the HPI fuel or should I attempt to switch. if I switch what would be the best to go to. the HPI fuel is 20% nitro 14% oil and I am not very good at tuning but according to all the guides and tips that I have read I seem to have it very close to right.

any help very fast would be appreciated
Old 07-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

truth is most all fuels work just fine and only slight needle adjustments are needed when switching fuels

i have tried alot of different fuels over the past 3 years and some i liked and others i didnt care for much

i liked trinity, byrons, and mugen

i didnt like odonnel and blue thunder

but the engines ran fine on all of the fuels with proper tuning

the blue thunder and odonnel just left black or brown residue in the engines

trinity and byrons (which is the same as mugen) left no carbon build-up (the black stuff) so thats why i perfer them

but the main thing you should decide which fuel to run is availability i would not choose a fuel i cant regularly get i have enough problem getting the normal stuff and i wouldnt want to run out of fuel during a race and have to worry about retuning

just so you know trinity and hpi fuel are both made by wildcat i believe sidewinder and blue thunder are both made by morgan fuels and byrons makes the mugen fuel

even though they are made by the same company though doesnt necessarily mean they are the identical fuel oil may be different content and different castor/synthetic mix

i dont know what is available at your LHS but if they have the regular trinity monster hp i would get that or the byrons which is the fuel i run

trinty regular is 12% oil and should be fine or use hpi if you really are concerned about how long your engine will last

fact is as long as you dont over lean and over rev your engine you will be fine if you over rev and over lean your engine 50% oil wont be enough and your engine will still be toast
Old 07-18-2003, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

so if you were to tell me which one fuel to use which one would it be??

are wildcat good fuels?

BTW great response ad very informative, thanks

Last edited by corvettecrazy; 07-18-2003 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I recommend PitStop fuel, that stuff has worked wonders for me for years...
Old 07-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

I have used Trinity Monster Horsepower in my Picco .12 since day one. It works great for me.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

the fuel i use is the byrons or mugen fuel i had a conversation with dennis ritchie about it and he told me he used it had been using it and that he was getting 12 gallons or more through his engines while using it and smeltz also recommended it

that was enough for me i have used it since and i think its really great fuel

but i also used trinity for a couple years and have nothing but good things to say about it either

if they are both available i would buy byrons it has 11% oil vs trinitys 12% in monster hp or 8% in platnium

platnium is what i was using before and 8% is maybe a little less than the average guy should be running but i still didnt have any problems

wildcat are good fuels they make the trinity and hpi and 1 other brand i cant quite remember

in fact i hope i can get some more fuel because it has been getting kinda hard to find the byrons or mugen around here lately due to their popularity and i ran almost an entire gallon through last weekend
Old 07-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

exactly what kind of byrons fuel are you running???

thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

i believe its called race 3000

its 30% nitro

and the label says 11% oil

i have used the byrons and mugen the label may say mugen or byrons but the smaller label still reads race 3000 30% nitro 11% oil
Old 07-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone make a fuel with 18% oil? I have never seen any. My new OS CV R manual says to run AT LEAST 18 % for long life performance.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

i do not know of a fuel with 18% oil

i saw that written in the OS manuals before but i have never seen any fuel like that

if you really think you need more oil most hobbystores sell castor oil seperately you could get some and add it to your fuel

personally it sounds like too much oil i am more into performance
Old 07-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

which wildcat fuel would be a good one to buy?? my not good hobby shop can get supposidily get wildcat fuels so which one is best??? (20% nitro)
Old 07-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

is wildcat Eliminator a good fuel?? 20% nitro 14% oil same as the HPI fuel I was using before.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

get whatever fuel you want it doesnt matter very much

14% oil is more than i like but i am also more concerned with performance than engine life

a fuel like that should be great for the engine and properly tuned i am sure it would have a long life
Old 07-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

PTP, have you heard anything bad about O'Donnell fuel? I know tons of people who run it, and I run O'Donnell 20%, but I talk to TSR6 a lot, and whenever we get onto the subject of fuel, he always says he will never run O'Donnell(he runs Trinity MHP). The only thing I can remember him saying about it is that it leaves a burn mark(I think..) on the top of the piston in your engine(I only noticed this in one of my engines, but I thought it was just some burnt oil...). I was considering trying Trinity until I saw that HobbyTown here only carries like 4 bottles at a time, but they carry like 3 dozen bottles of O'Donnell, and my track only carries O'Donnell and BT.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

odonnel is good fuel but it does leave a brown residue on everything it touches i believe its from the oil they use

i think that castor oil burns easier that synthetic and thats what leaves the brown stuff

so they use a blend of oil that is higher in castor than synthetic thats all

and i may be wrong it might be the opposite but it doesnt matter

that reason was enough for me to decide i didnt like it but its not a big deal