Search
Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default For Sale

Posted this on the buy/sell but thought I would post here too. I brought 3 Nova Rossi RR12L5 engines into Edmonton for a large up-coming race (see my signature, Canadian Asphalt Invitational). I have one, my friend has one and you can have one too!! The price is $305.00 U.S. This engine is new in box and is the 5 port, long stroke, turbo plug, micro cast piston engine that Nova Rossi rates as having 1.62hp on their website. The seal on the box has not been broken and the motor is still sealed in the factory plastic bag. This engine performs like a big block!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by GoldFinger
No, the piston is not as good as NSR.
The top coat will break on the 3rd gallon if you are using max temp (110-120 C) all the time.
Goldfinger you are wrong. The piston on the RR series of motors is Microcast not CNC.

RR12L3
RR12L5
Displacement
2.1 cm^3

Maximum power
1.54 cv 1.62 cv
R.P.M.
40.800 g/min 43.300 g/min
Bore x Stroke
13.70 mm x 14.25 mm

Ports nr.
Piston type
Microcasted

Crankshaft Ø 11.5 mm
Type EFRA SG Turbo SG
Glow Plug Type Turbo
Exhaust Type Rear
Carburetor Ø 5.4 mm (interchangeable insert)
Type Slide
Material Aluminium Alloy

Taken from Nova Rossi website. http://www.novarossi.com/default.htm
Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by jjmudd
Goldfinger you are wrong. The piston on the RR series of motors is Microcast not CNC.

RR12L3
RR12L5
Displacement
2.1 cm^3

Maximum power
1.54 cv 1.62 cv
R.P.M.
40.800 g/min 43.300 g/min
Bore x Stroke
13.70 mm x 14.25 mm

Ports nr.
Piston type
Microcasted

Crankshaft Ø 11.5 mm
Type EFRA SG Turbo SG
Glow Plug Type Turbo
Exhaust Type Rear
Carburetor Ø 5.4 mm (interchangeable insert)
Type Slide
Material Aluminium Alloy

Taken from Nova Rossi website. http://www.novarossi.com/default.htm
Yeah, I could be wrong. 2 days ago when i check nova site for crankshaft pn. I notes that, And Im confused.
The RR piston is having 2 oil pit and having same colour/finishing with 1st generation of NS12, while they releasing NSR. Equipped with microcasted piston (they said) darker colour but still 2 groove, exactly the same with MAX P series.

Couple month after it, MAX is releasing S series. Piston has a brighter finish than previous P version but only have 1 oil pit.
Soon after that, NSR is releasing newer batch with ported sleeve(3port) and lighten crankshaft(5port) and the piston is exactly the same with MAX S series.

Dunno about newer RR, but in here the piston is still not changing.
Please open/borrow your friends NSR piston you will notice the difference.
I still could be wrong though....
Old 07-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Default Nova Rossi, TOP, and REX

Ever compare a 321P NR, Rex, or Top? I can't figure what the difference! It seems like one you can buy price jacked up from one place, and the other is priced better elsewhere.

Other than the color of the head, what makes NR, REX and TOP different from each other? Just doesn't seem to make sense why these motors are any differnt to each other. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default piston/sleeve sets

hey folks....

do you guys know what is the difference betwenn the MICROCASTED piston/sleeve set and the CHROMED piston sleeve/set???

I suppose that the chromed set is even better than the microcasted and probably is also microcast machined because it's the more pricey piston/sleeve set sold by novarossi.....

any advice will be apreciated.....

thanxxx!
Old 08-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You have the 2 somewhat confused. The CRHOME P/S set is a regular set, the piston is made of machined aluminum and the sleeve is coated woth crhome.

On the MICROCASTED the sleeve is the same as on the other set, but the PISTON is made of MICROCASTED aluminum, not machined.

The microcasted piston is said to take more heat, but it also breaks easier, and it wears faster.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

take a look on the novarossi pricelist and you'll see that the microcasted set is cheaper than the chromed one.....

I've heard that the chromed set contains one microcasted piston and one HARD CHROMED SLEEVE......and maybe is true because only this difference can justify the higher price....

Last edited by SalvadoriRacing; 08-01-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:47 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
take a look on the novarossi pricelist and you'll see that the microcasted set is cheaper than the chromed one.....

I've heard that the chromed set contains one microcasted piston and one HARD CHROMED SLEEVE......and maybe is true because only this difference can justify the higher price....
Both sets, the MCP and the Regular set have chromed brass sleeves with aluminum pistons , hence the ABC name (aluminum/brass/chrome). The difference as explained before is that one uses a piston machined out of a solid aluminum bar, and the other one comes out of a microcasting mould. The difference in price comes out of the higher labor costs (Europe) of machining the regular pistons and the high waste of material involved.
Which is better...."questionable".....seems the regular set last longer than MCP, which supposedly gives you some extra rpm's and withstands higher temperatures, but wear the sleeve faster.
So it's your choice between lasting engine or "arguably" faster but fast wearing engine.

AFM
Old 08-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know that all sleeve are chromed.....

but I'm refering to the HARD chromed sleeve....that's I heard....

and it's the only reason fot the higher price of the chromed set.....

novarossi sells the CNC machined set, MICROCASTED machined set and the CHROMED set......

CNC is cheaper than MICROCASTED and the MC is cheaper than the CHROMED......
Old 08-01-2004, 03:57 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
I know that all sleeve are chromed.....

but I'm refering to the HARD chromed sleeve....that's I heard....

and it's the only reason fot the higher price of the chromed set.....

novarossi sells the CNC machined set, MICROCASTED machined set and the CHROMED set......

CNC is cheaper than MICROCASTED and the MC is cheaper than the CHROMED......
Got it.
Then this new Hard Chrome set might be the latest evolution of the MCP family to avoid the fast wearing problem the original MCP sets had with the sleeves. New hard Chrome sleeve should last longer than the previous.
Where did you find this new sets????

AFM
Old 08-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was just looking the novarossi pricelist ans I was wondering about the chromed set, because this set costs more than 120 EUROS (suggested retails price) while the microcasted costs 70 EUROS....

the term "hard chromed" I saw on this link.... http://www.internet-rc.com/rexre21sttr21.html

but i checked the other engines descriptions and even the cx12 sleeve is hard chromed too.....

I'm so confused, because I can't understand why the microcasted set is too cheaper than the chromed set.....
Old 08-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by afm
Got it.
Then this new Hard Chrome set might be the latest evolution of the MCP family to avoid the fast wearing problem the original MCP sets had with the sleeves. New hard Chrome sleeve should last longer than the previous.
Where did you find this new sets????

AFM
Ha ha ha ... another manouver from Novarossi.

If this is true, they were killing all the engine tuner.
No wonder Mr.Bervoets is leaving.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ceramic bearing

does any one try the ceramic bearing from Nova rossi ? how are they comparing to Jp ceramic bearing ?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Hmmm . . . lets get the terminoligy sorted first and please correct me if I'm wrong, here.

I'd expect all these chrome sleeves will all be "hard chromed".
This is just a description of the chroming process as applied to the engineering requirements as distinct from decorative chrome. For instance, the structural integrity of decorative chrome isn't very important.

Microcasting is a method of precision casting that permits, among other things, a higher content of silicon than could readily be achieved using bar stock.

CNC machining is just a computer controlled lathe that permits repeatability within fine tolerances for larger runs. Even the Microcast piston will be CNC machined I'd expect.

Then the Novarossi marketing guys get involved and we now have no idea what they are trying to sell us, or for how much.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Then the Novarossi marketing guys get involved and we now have no idea what they are trying to sell us, or for how much.

You know, in hydraulic area (non RC) you will find some sales that saying that their hydraulic shaft is made from "harden-hard chrome"
Maybe Nova will using that terms too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.