Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS TR engine thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

STi- most of your questions are answered already in this post.

The R-spec is a 3 port turbo -- this means it has a turbo button and takes a turbo plug.

The R spec is pictured below it has an oversized silver cooling head and black case.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

I don't get it, tower charged my credit card on the 15th and said it takes 2 days to ship it out, and you can't include weekends because the shipping company works on weekdays. Well today is the 3rd day. 15th, 16th, and 19th, that's 3 days. It looks like i'll get my credit card statement before the engine itself. BTW, when they ship it out they tell you, so far they are saying it's being packed. wow, I got the car like a week after finishing my education and in august i'll get my engine. so 2/3 of the summer is looking at the car instead of driving it
Old 07-19-2004, 10:29 AM
STi
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by FFR3582

The R-spec is a 3 port turbo -- this means it has a turbo button and takes a turbo plug.

The R spec is pictured below it has an oversized silver cooling head and black case.
I know that. I was just wondering why someone mentioned the difference between the TR-R and TR-T includes a turbo button since they both use turbo plugs.

I'm confused to what the engine will look like because of the following statement:

Originally posted by gijoe64
Wate for the US version. because in Europe their spec are different from our's. Plus you will not have the black crankcase and I think it comes with the sliver Hyper head.
I couldn't really understand what gijoe was trying to say there. If he was saying that the US-bound version will look different from the E-spec, that means it probably won't look like the picture on Tower's site since the E-Spec looks exactly like that.

Funny thing, is according to some Europeans, the E-Spec is only rated at 1.15ps.

Basically, I want an engine to replace my RB X-12T 5-port. The car will be run on a mid-size track, and I'm deciding between the TR-T 5-port and the slightly more expensive TR-R. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by STi; 07-19-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

compaq, I'm in the same boat as you. Mines still says at hte warehouse and my cc was charged on the 15th too.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I bought my fw05 in january here in japan, it came with the e-spec engine, shimo chassis and carbon deck. 43000 yen since im fairly new to rc i had some guys here at the track help with my tuning. I also have the tr turbo as well. between the two engines the e-spec has more top end and the punch coming out of corners is noticably stronger (too much at times). Its still a little short on top end but the novarossi's cant blow by me on the back stretch like with the regular tr.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:44 PM
STi
Tech Regular

Originally posted by nippon
I bought my fw05 in january here in japan, it came with the e-spec engine, shimo chassis and carbon deck. 43000 yen since im fairly new to rc i had some guys here at the track help with my tuning. I also have the tr turbo as well. between the two engines the e-spec has more top end and the punch coming out of corners is noticably stronger (too much at times). Its still a little short on top end but the novarossi's cant blow by me on the back stretch like with the regular tr.
From my understanding, the FW05 comes with the TRT-K, which is Kyosho spec. I'm relaly confused to what's different with all these different versions, and no one from O.S. seems to want to explain in detail the products they are selling.

What car did you run with the TR? Results from comparing different engines on different cars are sometimes misleading.

Thanks for your input though.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Tech Rookie

the owner of the hobby shop is the one who told me it was the e spec motor when i was getting the kit. I was torn between the different kit options and this was the best buy. I picked up the tr from a friend here in the military who decided he was sticking with off-road buggies for some kanai parts. had about a half gallon on it. ran it on my 05 a couple times and put it back in the box for a back up
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 AM
STi
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info, nippon.

Does anyone know exactly what's different between the E-Spec and R-Spec?

With so very little info from OS, I'm having a hard time deciding between these two and the TR-T.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I emailed OS to find out when they will update their site to include the specs for the R-spec and they said it will be coming soon. They also gave me these specs as the 'official' specs of the engine as tested by OS.

The 12TR R-Spec engine is being released to U.S. dealers in August. The web page for it will be online in a few days. Here are the power, rpm and other specs:

Stock Number: OSMG2007
Displacement: 0.129 cu in (2.11cc)
Bore: 0.551 in (14.0mm)
Stroke: 0.539 in (13.7mm)
Practical rpm range: 4000-38,000
Output: 1.3 ps @ 30,000 rpm
Weight: 7.7 oz (218.3g)

Webmaster,
osengines.com
Looks like the max rpm will be bumped up to 38,000. Thats cool!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by STi
Thanks for the info, nippon.

Does anyone know exactly what's different between the E-Spec and R-Spec?

With so very little info from OS, I'm having a hard time deciding between these two and the TR-T.
E-Spec, means it is made to comform EFRA rules
R-Spec, means it is made to comform ROAR rules

So if one reads the 2.1cc engine rules for each sanctioning body, you get to know the differences between engines.

Basically the crank rules are different from one model to the other, beeing the E-Spec model more restricted than the R-Spec.

AFM
Old 07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
STi
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Darkseid
I emailed OS to find out when they will update their site to include the specs for the R-spec and they said it will be coming soon. They also gave me these specs as the 'official' specs of the engine as tested by OS.
cool!
Thanks for the info.

The specs look very similar to that of the TR-T, and since OS has been known to be honest about their engines' output, maybe I should save some money and go with the TR-T instead.

Hmmm.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 AM
STi
Tech Regular

Originally posted by afm
E-Spec, means it is made to comform EFRA rules
R-Spec, means it is made to comform ROAR rules

So if one reads the 2.1cc engine rules for each sanctioning body, you get to know the differences between engines.

Basically the crank rules are different from one model to the other, beeing the E-Spec model more restricted than the R-Spec.
That's what I thought, but you never know. They could sell you the R-Spec making you believe it's faster without changing anything. I heard the E-Spec has machined pistons etc.?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Regional Moderator

I wont lie, I'm not only hooked on the specs, I'm also hooked on that silver head! So it'll defintely be the R-spec for me!

Besides, after all the different discounts and/or coupon codes that Tower offers, the engine wont be much more than $159-$169, which aint bad at all.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Tower Hobbies stikes again!!!!

For all of you who had your CC charged by Tower Hobbies on the 15th, you better call and have them credit your card.

I called them today and sure enough, the r-spec isn't in and won't be in until late august. However, instead of crediting my credit card, they were just going to have a credit on my account.

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

I had them credit my credit card until it actually arrives.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Regional Moderator

After emailing the OS people, I don't think that Tower was ever really supposed to list that engine as "IN STOCK". The email I got from OS said that the engine wasn't even going to be released to US shops until late August.

So what was Tower doing with its listing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.