Wiki Posts
Search

New to Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to Nitro

I just wanted to get some advice from the experts. I'm thinking about making the transition over to Nitro. I don't know too much about it so I wanted to get some input from you guys.
I was thinking of going with a DM1. Good/bad choice? What should I be looking for? I like the scale look of the Inferno GT1 bodies and from my understanding these fit on the DM1. Am I getting in over my head?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

DM-1 Spec is a great car just make sure you use 3 bearings in the front clutch bell and if you want to convert to the stand up shock towers SNR and max velocity makes them
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

DM1 = 1/7 = Inferno GT2

DM1 Spec = 1/8 = Inferno GT1

Look here for info and parts and accessories.

www.igthobbies.com
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow, ive been racing for well over 10 yrs and not heard of either one of those cars. Im no pro but for a guy who just transitioned from electric to nitro I can tell you this.

First go to your local track and find out what they are driving. Its always easiest to get advice from your pro drivers. HINT: they get paid to answere your questions!

Second stay away from to cheap of a car. Now 1/8 scale cars may all look the same but id stay closer to a brand thats been around for awile. Plus if you go to cheap you'll just get frustrated and give up.

I went about as cheap as a guy can to get into Nitro but yet did it right and still spent $700-$800 when all was said and done. Not including your radio!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bus
Wow, ive been racing for well over 10 yrs and not heard of either one of those cars. Im no pro but for a guy who just transitioned from electric to nitro I can tell you this.

First go to your local track and find out what they are driving. Its always easiest to get advice from your pro drivers. HINT: they get paid to answere your questions!

Second stay away from to cheap of a car. Now 1/8 scale cars may all look the same but id stay closer to a brand thats been around for awile. Plus if you go to cheap you'll just get frustrated and give up.

I went about as cheap as a guy can to get into Nitro but yet did it right and still spent $700-$800 when all was said and done. Not including your radio!
$700-800 on a 1.8th gt? Thats a little high IMO.

My dad races this class, we started with the original kyosho inferno GT $350 if you ass the used radio we got then +$90 spektrum dx3s. you can get the GT2 for $549 or less ready to rock. Now thats not to say you done want to get a starter box for it or better servos, but you can start there and slowly upgrade these things.

We started with a GT then found a used deal for an awesome GT2. not a bad thing to think about either.

The thing about more of the RTR GT cars is they have cheaper motors and servos in them to keep the price down. upgrading these items will run the price up some, however it will make a big difference down the line.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JJBinks
$700-800 on a 1.8th gt? Thats a little high IMO.

My dad races this class, we started with the original kyosho inferno GT $350 if you ass the used radio we got then +$90 spektrum dx3s. you can get the GT2 for $549 or less ready to rock. Now thats not to say you done want to get a starter box for it or better servos, but you can start there and slowly upgrade these things.

We started with a GT then found a used deal for an awesome GT2. not a bad thing to think about either.

The thing about more of the RTR GT cars is they have cheaper motors and servos in them to keep the price down. upgrading these items will run the price up some, however it will make a big difference down the line.

Have you seen the new GT car kyosho release that cost almost $700 ....i don't Kyosho care about cost from the jump, 1st they started the gt1 at $399 then jump to $549 & now $700 while the most you pay for ofna $329-$450...but even if you convert a buggy you still have some serious cash invested...like you said it will make a difference down the line when you do all upgrades

Last edited by bobbyblaze; 06-29-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
Have you seen the new GT car kyosho release that cost almost $700 ....i don't Kyosho care about cost from the jump, 1st they started the gt1 at $399 then jump to $549 & now $700 while the most you pay for ofna $329-$450...but even if you convert a buggy you still have some serious cash invested...like you said it will make a difference down the line when you do all upgrades
I did not see their new kit for $700!?!?!?!?! Thats crazy. I guess Kyosho forgot it was ment to be more of a cheaper race class. Thank god ofna didnt forget. Ofna, or Used is sounding much more the option.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JJBinks
I did not see their new kit for $700!?!?!?!?! Thats crazy. I guess Kyosho forgot it was ment to be more of a cheaper race class. Thank god ofna didnt forget. Ofna, or Used is sounding much more the option.

yup here it is

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...io-S24T-Engine
Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
WOW.... That thing looks pretty decked. so much for the cheaper enty class.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Initiate

velox v10 is nice choice
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zosman
velox v10 is nice choice

he's asking about !/8 GT cars not 1/10
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've checked out that factory team Inferno. My lhs has one

It's cool, but I think the price is steep for what ya get. I'd say stick with the RTR car and upgrade as you go.

The Kyosho or the Ofna are great choices. Both have their bugs to work out, but either can be made a contender with a few tweaks.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nothing at all wrong with the Onfa/Hobao, these are good competitive cars out of the box that will serve you well for a long time and anyone that tells you other ways has never bought one or driven one.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Im a newb to nitro but not the hobby and I decided on the GT1 from kyosho. IMO you really need to research the cars the all have good and bad points. For instance the GT2's now available.....Plan on buying a new 2 speed tranny right away...they strip at the drop of a dime. I bought my GT1 used because of the shortened wheel base which will allow for more steering but the existing problem of the tranny is there also. The servo's......well the steering servo has to go right away also....it has no torque to hold the wheels in place when turning. I can go on and on but you have to decide if your racing competitive or just messing around in the parking lot. Oh and the brakes....the worst I ever seen ,will last 2 minutes...they need to be replaced. On the positive...they are more fun to drive then anything I have ever driven but they push like a dump truck!!!

Competitive bottom line is going to end up over $1000 but once the car is set it is really cool and fun to drive.

So Far

GT1 used $200
2 Speed $100
Big Bore Shock set $47 x 2
Sweep GT 50 slicks $60
Novarossi Kangaroo Syd $380
Novarossi 2015 pipe and short manifold $100
Front Oil shocks 80 weight
Rear oils shocks 60 weight
Front Diff grease 120000
Rear Diff grease 50000
Savox 1258 servo $75 with a free shirt!

Plus gas ,ignitors and all odds and end stuff easy $1000 for competitve.

GT's and DM1's are a fun class....great for new guys...like us. Any questions you have have already been asked on the forum. Research is key my friend. I decided on Kyosho over Ofna only because of availability on parts. See what local guys are running and what your local hobby shop stocks.

Last edited by Slapstick10; 07-03-2011 at 09:39 AM.