Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Last night during racing I started off with low roll center blocks on the front and lows on the far rear and mediums on the front of the rear arms. All the cams in the coll center blocks were in the lowest setting. In the 1st heat the car had a sever push through out the turns which made the car slower than the others down the straights. For the 2nd heat I put high roll center blocks on the front cams in the low position and for the rear mediums on the far back lows on the front of the arms. The cams on the far back were in the high position and on the front of the arms they were also in the high position. This made the car look lose as hell but still felt like it had some under steer but it also had crazzy corner speed. I'm a little confused I always thought that the lower the roll center was the more grip was generated and made for an easyer car to drive. It was hard to drive with the low roll center blocks being used and fast and easy to drive with the high blocks. If someone can explains this to me it may help me in the future with car setups because I just dicided to throw the kitchen sink at the car after the 1st heat it was so bad. Thanks for any help, as may have helped in the past.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sprintcarracer
Last night during racing I started off with low roll center blocks on the front and lows on the far rear and mediums on the front of the rear arms. All the cams in the coll center blocks were in the lowest setting. In the 1st heat the car had a sever push through out the turns which made the car slower than the others down the straights. For the 2nd heat I put high roll center blocks on the front cams in the low position and for the rear mediums on the far back lows on the front of the arms. The cams on the far back were in the high position and on the front of the arms they were also in the high position. This made the car look lose as hell but still felt like it had some under steer but it also had crazzy corner speed. I'm a little confused I always thought that the lower the roll center was the more grip was generated and made for an easyer car to drive. It was hard to drive with the low roll center blocks being used and fast and easy to drive with the high blocks. If someone can explains this to me it may help me in the future with car setups because I just dicided to throw the kitchen sink at the car after the 1st heat it was so bad. Thanks for any help, as may have helped in the past.
You have to break down the corner into entry, mid and exit, all settings affect different parts of the turn. The only time I know low low roll centers work is on very low bite tracks, everyone runs mid or high roll centers.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The track I race at runs off road trucks. We get half as many on road cars as there are trucks so there is no groove on the track. By the end of the night you can just start to see a groove. I just want to better under stand why the car likes high roll center blocks. Most of the guys at the track come to me for setup help since I'm one of the fastest cars every week and it would be nice to tell them how some if this stuff works.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you don't have these books already I would get them as they explain all the various setup features on a Touring car.

XXX Main book - can be bought from most online retailers.

XRAY set-up book - Go to XRAY's website to download, here's the link.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/products/proddwnld.php?prod_id=3606&kategoria=3606&catName=

This guide is geared more towards off-road but many concepts can be applied to TC. Plus a few concepts are explained in way more detail then the above mentioned books.

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/

Each is very good and explains various setup features slightly different.

I've reread each of these books dozens of times to understand each setup feature and still have to refer back every once in a while.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Do people use any of the optional "Wings" for carpet rubber racing? I am about to place an order for some parts and was wondering if I should bother ordering the medium or hard wings or not.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Start with the basic(mentioned in the manual) setup and work your way from there.
I found out that this setup is a good reference for indoor and outdoor.
Both are mentioned in the manual.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by Travis S
Do people use any of the optional "Wings" for carpet rubber racing? I am about to place an order for some parts and was wondering if I should bother ordering the medium or hard wings or not.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
I wouldn't ..those option first came out, it was great for the 6cell batteries chassis ,Now the lipo kit chassis are stiffer...so you may not needs them...
Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by OVA
I wouldn't ..those option first came out, it was great for the 6cell batteries chassis ,Now the lipo kit chassis are stiffer...so you may not needs them...
Medium all round the car even better with lipo chassis than 6 cell
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My LHS is the importer for HB/HPI in Australia so i thought hmm... lets try....

Success! I do intend on updating to the LiPo chassis but since hearing about the new narrow chassis coming out I thought i would wait.
Also saw a few pages back a neat bit of machining.... The motor mount that moved the motor toward the center of the car! I want one... I will look back and PM the person.... If i can find it...
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-tcx-brace.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TeamWTF

Success! I do intend on updating to the LiPo chassis but since hearing about the new narrow chassis coming out I thought i would wait.
Also saw a few pages back a neat bit of machining.... The motor mount that moved the motor toward the center of the car! I want one... I will look back and PM the person.... If i can find it...
Hello,
It was on Site 267 I think.
If you get an answer from him, please could you post it here.
Regards
Pierre
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think this is the one you're thinking of:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/8613339-post6992.html
Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Any body have a top one-way Ur willing to sell off? Will be placing a order tomorrow night with amain for a stock spec one if noone chimes in between now and then. Just thought I would ask
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mico Pro Spool Outdrive - Steel for Photon

I see this in the website

http://www.top-racing.jp/Eng+JP/Cate.../u-Pro_JP.html
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-mp-tp-0004.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
I think this is the one you're thinking of:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/8613339-post6992.html
Thats it

After further reading it would seem it need the chassis to go with it.

Now that I have this retainer I'm once again quite happy with the functionality of the standard chassis.
Taping was getting annoying...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thats it

After further reading it would seem it need the chassis to go with it.

Now that I have this retainer I'm once again quite happy with the functionality of the standard chassis.
Taping was getting annoying...
I asked him about using just the motor mount and he stated that the standard Photon chassis needs to be cut 3mm where the motor mounts and use his upper deck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.