Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8 Factory Team vs MBX 6 need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

here goes, I have a mbx6 now. I had a rc8 before the x6. Rc8 is a great buggy. has tons of steering and is very durable. I was pretty fast with it. but it just wasnt aggressive enough for me. I couldnt get it to square in the turns like the losi's. But it needs big bores, so they are a hundred bucks. I really like the mbx6 so far. 2nd time out with the mugen I went faster with it by about a half second a lap. It drives like a losi but not a twitchy.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

jsmax you are doing nothing but filling this thread with bullshit. Please stop. I doubt you have owned all these cars in the last 2 years as most people can barely afford to run and operate 1 of these cars. The guy is asking a simple question and you are lying to his face with information based on your sole opinion after driving the cars, if you have ever, for what, 1 tank?

And as far as you thinking shock caps and camber link balls wear out on the 8ight? Are you crazy? Its the plastic that wears out, just like on every car!!! So you have to replace the shock bushings and the plastic rod ends, i do it all the time on my 8ight and my gas truck, its a normal wear and tear item!! Steering screws? No, its the ackerman plate, which does suck, but you know what, the whole car slops out, all my electric cars did the same thing and when i switched to new parts, it didnt make a damn bit of difference! These cars handle better when they do get a little slop in them. The most part often replaced on the 8ight is the front center drive shaft. Clutch bearings are regular maintenance as is cleaning the shoes to get maximum life from them.

The RC8 is garbage. The car has no grip, you have to move the battery clear across the chassis, chop the steering ackerman and move the tie rods, get the big bores, hope your tank is the 4th or 5th revision. Oh, and run the truggy tower on the rear of the car.

I have a 5R, yes its older, but if the MBX6 is anything like the 5R, look out. The only thing that didnt help the 5R was the weight. It handled great, jumped awesome and was durable as all hell. My outdrives and drive shafts are worn out after 4 or so gallons. The shock oil stays clean forever, the coating doesnt wear off the bodies like on the old shocks. Its the small things that add up. The only thing i never liked about the car was the clutch setup. I think it sucked.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

to me the rc8 had to much grip, thats why I couldnt get it aggressive. The mugen quality is better, but the rc8 is a good car.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

What ever you do don't put a Os engine in it it won't last, its fast good run time but it will not last its just garbage(OSPOWER)

To say that the RC8 is garbage just shows what a putz you are! To rip the guy thats posts on a public forum like you did your just a internet warrior way to go dude! The RC8 has its problems like all other kits or the Losi would't need a 2.0! I have run my RC8 for a year after I ran the Losi for a year. The RC8 is quicker, has more steering, and if you have a problem with the fuel tank(i didnt) they will ship you one no questions asked. They had some early problems which they fixed for free with a add on bag of parts. The RC8 is known to have problems with the fuel tank and lack of rear traction. For me I had no problems with my fuel tank, at times I do find it hard to find the rear traction I would like. The parts I broke over the last year:

shock shaft 1
steering knuckle 1
bent a few front axles

Last year I raced the Losi and liked it. I had problems with the pins coming out of the center cvds, the screws that hold the shock piston on the shaft backing out, slop problems, and the Losi sterter box is one of the worst out there!! LOL I have seen a problem with the throttle servo burning up(don't know why) I have read alot about it on line and Losi sent out o-rings to put under the receiver box and told you don't screw the screws all the way in. I did not use these orings and did not have any servo problems. But I have witnessed two local exp. racers go through like 5 in a year. Its a must to set your EPA right on the Losi's.

I have a mugen 5 and it was durable a little heavy but was easy to drive just not blazing fast like all the lighweight cars coming out now.

All cars have their ups and downs to say one is better than the other is hard. You need to decide what one best suits your driving style and what u can afford and are they parts availabe to you.

He oslackofpower how do you know what he can afford and what he has driven?

PS dont get a OS engine total garbage maybe a gallon or two.

sorry ospower(lack of power after 1.5 gallons, yeah yeah I know you have 7-11 gallons you you vspec sure sure) please dont do the internet thuggery on me, please, next you will be telling me you fight in the octagon and want to come to my state and wrastle me. I'm sorry

Last edited by franklucas; 11-28-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Problem I had was the the rc8 had to much rear traction for me. I couldnt get the car to rotate or make the rear spin around in the corners. I even went to 1000 in the rear diff and it didnt help that much. On power steering the car was deadly fast. I agree all cars have there problems and the rc8 can win on any raceday. I did have a couple of tanks go bad, but I believe the last one I got was the version 3 tank and I didnt have any problems with that one.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
Problem I had was the the rc8 had to much rear traction for me. I couldnt get the car to rotate or make the rear spin around in the corners. I even went to 1000 in the rear diff and it didnt help that much. On power steering the car was deadly fast. I agree all cars have there problems and the rc8 can win on any raceday. I did have a couple of tanks go bad, but I believe the last one I got was the version 3 tank and I didnt have any problems with that one.
Lets say I stick with Rc8 how necessary is it to buy the BB Shocks?
Because that puts me within $40.oo of the MBX6

I went through and read just about the whole TA RC8 forum. The 2 other questions I have is all of the talk about the RC8T Rear Shock tower and moving the battery. Are people just really splitting hairs
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the rear shock tower thing is so new, the pros at my track just went to it this past weekend. The battery moved is dont by half of them. The Big Bores, i would say are a must.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

only reason I would move the battery is to un hook the car, less rear traction. Thats what I was gonna try next with my rc8 but I thought it just looked dumb with the battery like that. Not sure on the rc8t rear tower thou. I know some people on sgid have tried it but know sure on the results, contact shane racer about that in the rc8 fourm, I know he did the rear tower change. Big bores are not a must, I had the jammin big bores on mine and I didnt think it made my car much better for the price of them, they did look good on the car I will say
Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

OSPOWER, I am not gonna even justify most of your post with a response, except to say that yes, I have owned a MBX-5R, bought the RC-8 shortly after they came out, put 4-5 gallons on it, then got the losi 8, put 4-5 gallons on it and now I have the 808, just bought another RC8 and thinking about getting a MBX-6 to try.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

+1 on the bb shocks really smooths out the not perfect landings. i did the battery move to follow the pack just did so I do not know the results yet except it gives me mucho room in my once tight radio box. the rear tower is just what some of the pros are trying for now.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Also the battery move depends on the battery. I would not move a lipo out there un-protected and in the open.

Best thing to do, go to your local track on race day and ask to run a couple laps in someones RC8 and MBX-6. That would probably help out a lot.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can only tell you about the Mbx6 since I haven't driven an rc8, I'm happy with my MBX6, coming from a 8IGHT I drove for over two years. The Mbx6 does everything I want it to. The car has great acceleration and rear traction, I have raced it several times now and made several changes back and fourth on the car that are noticeable after the changes are made. Seemed like with my Losi I could make changes all day long and it still drove the same. The Mbx6 is great right out of the box, I have yet to break anything. Adjustment wise,Everything you need comes with it, most kits don't. Its hard to explain the handling, but with this car, I feel connected to it when driving it, it is predictable and stable and reacts to what ever I want it to do. It brakes nice and straight and accelerates straight as an arrow. For me I can get on the gas harder In more places than I could with my 8ight. I know you were asking about rc8s Ive only seen two guys run them at my track and they seem good, matter of fact one guy is real fast but I have no idea what he has done to it or what problems he has had. Anyway, I'd try to find someone with a Mbx6 and drive it and find a rc8 and drive it and see what you think for yourself. I was never a Mugen fan, I had a Jammin before the 8ight and a Mayhem before the Jammin. To me the new Mbx6 drives like a traditional buggy but faster and comes with all the features of the 2nd generation buggy designs out there. Maybe it just suits my driving style better, we all know theres a ton of fast Losi drivers, rc8 and 808 drivers out there but for me it seems like you dont have to finesse the car in order to keep it fast and straight.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

I have both and will gladly give you a good deal on my RC8.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Man

Why do things have to be so difficult...I have learned a lot today in this forum. The ass-biter for me is the extra $100.00 for the BB and I think the MBX6 comes with tires to. I spent more time debating this subject in my head then when I bought my house.

Please guys keep the comments coming I have a 14hr drive back to SC tomorrow to think about it

If anyone here has any questions about any composite carbon fiber, Kevlar, fiberglass resin or glues please feel free to ask me.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default have both

Originally Posted by RBMike
I have both and will gladly give you a good deal on my RC8.
I bought am buying new but thanks for the offer, I am more interested in what you have to say about both buggys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.