Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect Battery 4200 (IB4200) World Champion VR-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
You should use .90 for cutoff prior to charging.

As far as charge rate we use 6 amps which isn't harder on the cells.
I think that's also depend on ambient temp.

I still need to find a good charger with temp. probe... to replace my old Pulsar Comp 1.
Any recommendation ? or criteria that I should notice for new charger for 4200 cells ?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akuhon
I think that's also depend on ambient temp.

I still need to find a good charger with temp. probe... to replace my old Pulsar Comp 1.
Any recommendation ? or criteria that I should notice for new charger for 4200 cells ?

They key to a good charger is it's ability to read voltage accurately and have good peak sensitivity. I personally use CE chargers as they are really well built and work great. As far as thermal I don't see a need for this. Using a the correct peak detect for type of cell your using will get the job done well.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Danny I resent that email

Rog T
Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akuhon
The MuchMore Cell Master and the Orion Advantage chargers both have temp probes and temp peak settings.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

They key to a good charger is it's ability to read voltage accurately and have good peak sensitivity. I personally use CE chargers as they are really well built and work great. As far as thermal I don't see a need for this. Using a the correct peak detect for type of cell your using will get the job done well.
CE is top quality charger but it's too big for my pit table....

BTW, thanks for guiding me to the latest charger technology.... for >4000 mah cells.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

You should use .90 for cutoff prior to charging.

As far as charge rate we use 6 amps which isn't harder on the cells.
Hi Danny....Thanks a bunch ....!! I've just gotton one of these new 4200WCe, was wondering how to treat them.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
The MuchMore Cell Master and the Orion Advantage chargers both have temp probes and temp peak settings.
Been thinking about them, too... Here the LHS own MM CellMaster MR Ltd Ed. (Blue). Don;t know if they're better than previous version of MM CellMaster or it's just a window dressing....

Also new Record Breaker "Competition" from Straight Japan..... but not so many of us familiar with this charger ...

Thanks for the advice....
Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Company Representative

I use the T-35 GFX for discharging and testing packs but the Pitbull X3 is a great charger and is small this is what I use at the race track.

Many racers think they need all the features that some of these chargers have but I have never used them as a good peak detection charger is all that is needed. I have been uisng CE equipment since 1987 and they have always been great chargers.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As I have seen the IB4200 is what is the popular use because of its ability to deliver power, since getting my packs and building them I have been able to increase my laps. I realized instantly taht the packs prior to this were going to be scrapped zapped or put to the recycle for sure. The cells have the power and speak for themselves and that is the best proof.

As far as cahrging and discharging most are using 6 to 6.5 to charge and cut off for discharge at .90 that is what works and keeps the cells vital signs high.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Danny :
Have you ever checked the temp. of the cells (IB4200) during matching process ? What's the most extreme temp. you've found (in celcius) ?

kcrunchone :
Thanks for the info. And about delta peak, some said it should be set as low as 3mV.
My Pulsar Comp 1 cannot do it.... the lowest is 5mV, is it safe enough, not damaging the cells ?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Company Representative

Normally the cells peak in the 130-140 Farenheit range using a temp gun. When they get hotter it's due to the contacts not being as good or dirty which creats more heat due to the extra resistance. The same can be said if you have a poor solder joint this will create some extra heat.The charge rate we use is 6 amps with a .01 peak detect and using the REPEAK function on the TM-4 which only allows for a single charge which keeps the temperature at a good level.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info Danny...

I will use that setting for charging this batteries with my future charger....
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Danny,

I have been through this thread and notice that you said back a page or so that you should not go under 1v per cell that's when you start losing runtime
and in another you said you can discharge to .09v per cell now if you go to .09v when you EQ are you going to lose runtime too? now what if i go to .07v when i EQ before i charge do i lose runtime too? i run mostly stock and sometime 19t most stock does it matter if i lose runtime as long as the IR and the Volts stay the same or losing runtime mean i lose IR and Volts, i know lots of question but i want to know thank you.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Here is my taste : ( my equipments are GFX and CTX-D )

During building new battery set :

I will discharge each cell to 0.9V per cell on my CTX-D before soldering ( in order to minimize the chance of internal shortings inside the cell ).

After building new set of battery is completed, I will give some charge like 1000Mah @ 4.5A and then discharge it @ 20A. I give some rest and recharge it again to full peak @ 4.5A with lowest delta peak available. ( GFX lowest delta peak is 0.01V ).

If I don't plan to use it, I discharge it again @ 20A, equalize it to 0.9V per cell, and give 1000Mah capacity before storing.

1 hour before race :

I pulse discharge the battery to 0.9V, give some rest like 5 minutes and start recharging @ 5A with lowest delta peak.

Between heats and finals :

I only use 3 sets of batteries, so battery #1 = Heat 1 & Final 1, battery #2 = Heat 2 & Final 2, and so on.

I charge @5A with lowest delta peak and pulse discharge to 0.9V per cell and repeat the charging again for finals.

After race or Before Storing :

I discharge like the above method and give 1000Mah capacity before storing.

I quit using 30A discharge rate and charging 5A with 0.02V delta peak after several casualities with IB4200 cells. Some of the cells were naked or worse, they were leaking during charging or discharging process. ( notes: tropical weather, 34C/ 93F with 20-30% humidity ).
Old 11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Company Representative

Discharging has nothing to do with venting. Venting occurs when a cell is getting to hot and over charges. The IB cells get hotter than other cells so lower peak detects is required. In normal ambient temperatures .02 peak detect on a good peak detection charger will work fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.