Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB V2 Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default MRC / Academy SB V2 Buggy Thread

Here is a place where we can discuss the new buggy.

I got this in towards the end of last week and so far this is what has been done:

I got through part of the build on my SB V2. Still waiting on some hopup stuff i ordered by i figured i'd get the diffs and stuff together in the mean time.

The plastics for the suspension arms is stiffer than before and feels pretty good. The spurs also are huge and they provide you a big range. They also give you some inserts into the spur that look like what you would use if you didn't use the slipper setup, not sure.

one item that I think will be a good hopup for someone to make and should be EXTREMELY easy to make is an alloy hingepin brace. this part is a thin plastic piece that goes in front of the bulkhead setup that is plastic (and provides kickup) . Make this metal and I would be extremely happy here. Will see how it holds up but at least its not something where its the bulkhead only doing any bracing.

The chassis isn't the shiny FRP like the V1, looks different and possibly better, though, I agree that maybe it would have been better to just not have all the cutouts for stiffness sake, but, will see how it performs. Most likely will do graphite there in the future.

The diffs went together well, but they should have made the thread nut longer as well as used a different diff spring or a longer one. Feels like I am getting close to bottoming out again. Will have to see how it goes an maybe research a diff mod like on the V1. I do like the locked diff rings, thats a nice touch.

So far so good other than what is listed above.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

are parts still absolutely impossible to find for MRC cars? we struggle big time here in Australia to get them from anywhere....

James
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been interested in the SB 'wheelers for a while now, and the V2 appears to have fixed the major problems with design (slipper and motor mount).

Can you order parts directly from MRC? Just have to call them? Is there an online source? My LHS is pretty much stuck with getting stuff from Great Planes (Tower) or Horizon, so he's out.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Same issue here... not having a (known) source for parts is what's kept me from getting a pair of these for quite some time. Any online sources would be greatly appreciated, as our LHS's are in the same situation as the post above.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Legend

I contacted ultimatehobbies last week and they advised me if that you want to order a kit through them you just need to give them a call and specifically request it. I am sure if they are going to officially carry the vehicle like they did the SB V1, but they said they can get you the parts and they would probably be cheaper than going through MRC direct.

MRC can get you what you need as well, just ask to speak with Tim as he handles that side of things and can get you all you need.

if you decide to go with the kit tires, definitely get different foams. The stock foams are too soft but the kit tires actually work quite well, with the fronts being alittle on the chunky side but I would put a full rear losi foam inside of them and they felt pretty good.

The slipper setup does feel much better than the previous and should be much easier to set.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I plan on having mine in the next couple of weeks. Cain, keep me posted if you find anything out. late
Old 04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Legend

I am checking right now to see about getting some machining done for a couple of parts I think would benefit, namely the hingepin brace. I am not sure if this is a weak point yet, but, from what I have seen on various kits when this is plastic it doesn't hold up.

Other part I am thinking would be the center steering link.

And of course the chassis and top deck for another graphite item.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When I used to own my MRC/Academy touring car, when I wanted parts, I just gave them a call and ordered them over the phone. It was extremely easy.

We're getting a new (closer) off-road track here, so I'm thinking of trying of these SB V2 buggies. Its pretty much between this and the Kyosho. The price is better on this one, but the Kyosho has more goodies in the box. So right now its a toss up.

Can anybody who all ready owns the SB V2 throw some pictures of their car up. In the pics on MRC's site, it looks like the car comes with regular threaded rods, does in come with turnbuckles in reality?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Legend

Mine I am hoping to finish tonight.

The vehicle unfortunately comes with thread rods and plastic shock bodies. However, the B3 turnbuckle kit appears to be a match like it was on the V1.

I saw a nice looking aftermarket graphite chassis set, will see how much it will go for.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Legend

Got a response from fiberlyte. Will see what the cost is for the graphite chassis and top deck.

I am pretty much done with my assembly. finished it up this morning.

I saw similar issues that reinferno reported on the rear of the vehicle with the dogbones so what I did was put an o ring into each rear axle which would push in the dogbones more into the diffs. This appears to give more rear droop range since the dogbone is inside the diff more than before.

Other than that and what I have already mentioned, so far so good. Now to mount up some electronics and get this body painted.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Legend

I got the electronics on the chassis, though I am going to probably rig up a lexan plate to put the esc on and then mount that the chassis as the cutouts don't leave enough chassis to mount the G-10 to. for some reason the G-10 wants to lean.

Doing some initial street driving the cars initial setup (went with different pistons and oil) appears to work pretty well. Initial steering felt better than my SB Pro did on initial setup but this of course is just initial street runs. Still need to make it to the track and give her a whirl.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails MRC / Academy SB V2 Buggy Thread-dsc03175.jpg   MRC / Academy SB V2 Buggy Thread-dsc03176.jpg   MRC / Academy SB V2 Buggy Thread-dsc03177.jpg  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default MRC/Academy kits & parts

Give the guys at Evolution Hobbies a shout. They ship overseas and the pricing is right. Also an authorized dealer. www.evolutionhobbies.com
Old 04-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Cain, the car looks good. Do you have a one-way in the car?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Legend

unfortunately I don't. i want try out that new oneway unit they have though I figure i'll give the car a go initially without it.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Any new news on availability of this buggy and spare parts?

I read the reviews in the magazines and became interested in this buggy, especially with a price of around $200. But if I have to wait for a slow boat from China to get it and spare parts, then I'll probably look at other options (like the Tamiya Dark Impact).

Any comments on pros and cons of the SB V2 versus the Dark Impact?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.