Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How To: Promote Sportman like Driving >

How To: Promote Sportman like Driving

How To: Promote Sportman like Driving

Old 07-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Chris/Josh - my opinion is that you shouldn't split the finals because of a "natural gap".

Often, that natural gap is caused by the top heat being able to run faster race times because they all push each other faster, whereas the lower heats have more delays. Drivers from lower heats can easily gain a couple of laps in a fast final, I've done it many times myself.
Sos,

that is why you reshuffle for the 3rd rd. of qual., to let all the guys run with people on the same pace, after the reschuffle i think everyone has a fair chance to qual.

you are not gonna take a 17 lap racer and out him with the fast guys and now he is gonna run 22-23 laps,

i think sometimes people just wanna make the "A"

i race at prob. one of the most competive carpet tracks on the east coast for weekly club races that sometimes go all the way to the "E" main, i will prob never make the "A" there, but i do qual sometimes in the top of the "B", but i dont ask them to go 10 cars in the "A" so now i qual. for it . . .
Old 07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

I am missing something here. I think its the definition of "whacked", "hacked", bump and rubbed.

Isn't a "hack" intentional (requiring some skill), rough or unsportsmanlike driving.

Being "rubbed up against, and bumped" is a natural part of racing and it happens. Two people going for the same realestate....

Isn't a "whack" the result of a "hack", or the natural part of racing called a "wreck". Your car gets sideways as a result of a "hack", rub or bump, brushing the wall or corner dot. The guys behind you is left with no choice except to hit you!

So two guys going head to head down the back stretch, we know neither is going to lift (rarely). Is the resulting bump, rub, bobble part of racing or is it a "hack".

It appears to me that the "touch" of racing is defined by the reciever or he who complains the loudest.

About the participants for "A" Mains, reminds me of those "Real Car" races, where they run two or more classes at the same time. Been so long since I watched them, I forgot what classes. CAN-AMS? I dunno, but there are "real fast cars" pitted against door bangers". Slower (drivers) cars start in the back. 24 Hours of Daytona, is one of these races.

And the point is?

Last edited by Hick; 07-22-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think the idea of split final will work at my track for the sole reason of number. I think we will be struggling to get enough modified car to run a complete class at the beginning (that I hope can be worked on). But I think speed have nothing to do with the ability to avoid bad driving. The worst race here in New Zealand for hacking is Stock (a silver can 540 Johnson motor class) incident almost happen every single corner because we all know, there is a very slim chance of someone recovering after being toss out of the track. Its sad to say, most of the incident I am talking about are tends to be intentional. And that's what I would like to eliminate at my track to give everyone a fair chance of racing and fill that they had a great day of racing.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Its basic economics, people get tired of having their equipment torn up they leave. Your choice, 1 "hackers" money or 2 or more good racer's (who might leave) money.

We run point series at our local events. Driver's who fail to marshall, fail to yeild their car for tech inspection, etc., forfeit a lap, are DQ'd or loose points.

Again, I believe the "hackers" competitors will take care of the issue.

A long standing problem here in Purgatory was the "gassers" getting up side down and blipping the throttle. After nearly loosing my eye sight (under entirely different circumstances), I was quite sensative about get stuff thrown in my face, cut and burned. Wearing safety glasses, if I marshalled one of these fellows and he wanted to continue to "blip his throttle" I put his car in the infield and he had to find his own marshal. The track staff supported me and others who followed suit, consequently, we rarely have a "blipper" nowadays. Come to think of it, we don't have as many runaways or limping marshalls as we used to.

So tactics taken by this hacker's competitors will have an effect. Say he is the last to be marhsalled!

PS. Why electric drivers marshall for gasser here, I will never know, I guess.

Last edited by Hick; 07-24-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

I'm with Hick.

At out track, bad driving is sorted out with coaching. Hacking is sorted out with suspension (one driver has just finished a 3 month suspension)
Old 07-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
As for lapping a car. It's just curtious to ask the driver on the stand if you can pass. If I'm being lapped, then I'm not fast enough to worry about losing two tenths for letting the leader by.

I agree with you. When I started racing, I'd found myself turning faster lap times after letting a faster car pass and fellowing/learning a faster way around the track. And slower laps when I was trying not to be lapped.(aka blocking a faster driver) Instead of just driving my line.

Now that I have a couple of seasons under my belt, I've become a front runner. The problem I see now when I go to pass someone is intentional blocking. I've followed a car to observe their driving line and when I go to pass, their line changes all of a sudden. In real cars, there is defending your line or position which is okay, but intentional blocking is not okay.

I've seen fast guy drive around slower guys that held their line. And when two good guys are fighting for a position, many won't risk a bad pass and take both cars out. Their loss is usually more than their gain. Slower drivers sometimes can't be taught that, they must learn it.

I've been in situations were making a move on someone, they changed their line were I looked like a hack. Good driving is going to have to be desired by the racer wanting to be faster. Until a racer realizes their own faults, they will think/fell their actions are warranted. Even if it is keeping them in the bottom half of the qualifying order.

In short, I feel the question is what is the best way to help drivers learn these somewhat "unteachable" things.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hick
Its basic economics, people get tired of having their equipment torn up they leave. Your choice, 1 "hackers" money or 2 or more good racer's (who might leave) money.

We run point series at our local events. Driver's who fail to marshall, fail to yeild their car for tech inspection, etc., forfeit a lap, are DQ'd or loose points.

Again, I believe the "hackers" competitors will take care of the issue.

A long standing problem here in Purgatory was the "gassers" getting up side down and blipping the throttle. After nearly loosing my eye sight (under entirely different circumstances), I was quite sensative about get stuff thrown in my face, cut and burned. Wearing safety glasses, if I marshalled one of these fellows and he wanted to continue to "blip his throttle" I put his car in the infield and he had to find his own marshal. The track staff supported me and others who followed suit, consequently, we rarely have a "blipper" nowadays. Come to think of it, we don't have as many runaways or limping marshalls as we used to.

So tactics taken by this hacker's competitors will have an effect. Say he is the last to be marhsalled!

PS. Why electric drivers marshall for gasser here, I will never know, I guess.
I personally run a similar policy here... If someone shouts at me from the rostrum whilst marshalling, I will pick the car up and turn it off. If they have beaf with me over it, I'll simply explain I am not prepared to marshal whilst being shouted at, after what is probably their mistake. We all try our best when marshalling, so why should we put up with beig shouted at. Simple really... and it works!

With regard to the "hacking" and etiqute issue, driver training is your best bet. Having a drivers meeting before the start of the day is THE best way of informing all drivers (if you don't turn up to it, you lose your TQ ) of a) whats happening (very useful for new drivers) and b) the rules. If people know that you are watching there driving, then you will get better racing.
Also for the new driver, how about some form of Mentor program? ie getting the more expericend drivers (preferably one which doesn't hack too ) to take them under their wing, explain the rules, formats, driving standards etc? That would be a good initiative, and hopefully promote better driving AND keep them involved in the hoby

Just some thoughts
Ed
Old 07-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Best way to encourage good driving, is to go up to another driver who you had a good race with and thank them for the clean run. Generally they will start to do the same in the future. It's always fun to walk back to the pits talking with other drivers about the close racing.

Another good thing to do, is have your Race Director let lapped traffic know when the leaders are coming up behind them. We've taught this to our new drivers and since then, lapped traffic crashes have gone down significantly, leading to much closer races. And if the Director is on top of things, she can also point out the position battles (extremely useful for spectators). On any given club race, we get about 25-30 people stopping by to check out the action. They love it when they can follow the cars battling for position, especially when it's the leaders.

I've just gotten involved with mine this past spring, and we just finished our largest gathering for the state championships ever. And our race was on the same weekend of mod-nationals, so we were missing all of the Colorado drivers who normally come up!! Ways to do this, are contact every hobby shop within a days driving distance and ask them to post a flyer about your race. Most are more than happy to oblige. If your track does not have an on-site hobby shop, when you host a large race, try to bring one in. That way if people need to buy stuff they can. Since we do not even have a hobby shop in our town, we brought down Extreme RC from Billings. They did very well, selling many kits, along with tires. On the first day (we run electric day 1, gas day 2), he sold several 1/8th scale buggies and spent the day breaking in motors for the guys so they could run the next day. Also promote your race. Since we are a small town, our radio stations were more then happy to have our race organizer go on the air to talk about the weekend's racing. As a result... got a couple of new entries, many people checking out the hobby and asking questions. Also, if other tracks are within a few hours drive, work them on race schedules attempting to avoid as many conflicts as possible. That way you both can increase your attendence by going to each other's tracks.

Do a points series!! This will keep drivers coming back, because they don't want to drop in the standings by not showing up to a race.

Wow this is long, hope it helps though.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

For those interested in "driver etiquette" and "mentoring" why not visit mkrctc.org.uk and follow the "info" link - it has some good documentation which we use for our members.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

So what doyou guys do about unresponsive marshalls??

We seem to have a problem where some of the younger marshalls tend to sit down or just gaze around in a dream looking everywhere but the track!

I find myself having to shout " MARSHALL!!!" to get their attention back to the racing
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by loopedeloop

We seem to have a problem where some of the younger marshalls tend to sit down or just gaze around in a dream looking everywhere but the track!

I find myself having to shout " MARSHALL!!!" to get their attention back to the racing
Marshall their cars the same way you would take a shit in the toilet. Slow and agonizing.

Maybe then they would be grateful for speedy marshalling.

At my track, we have some people who are perpetual strollers when marshalling. Some of them are also the most vocal on the driver's stand when they need to be marshalled themselves, talk about double standards.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

At the end....money talks, what I mean is....1st violation is a warning, 2nd violation - you are done, you have to pay $20 (or whatoever amount) to get back in the race.......the next violation will be done for the day or ban from the track...if that happened on the final, he will charge double for the next race.

I think most of the ppl are good driver....there are only 2 type of bad drivers, (1) a bad skill driver....just don't know how to drive or setup, they should be in lower main...nothing can do, they are just slow and still learning (2) a bad driver just cannot afford to lose....block the leader when they are 1 lap down...

Usually, there is a pattern of the bad driver......bad driver will not wait untill the grand final and do the dirty move...........race director should keep their eye on those ppl.
At our track, that $20 penalty does work for bad behavior drivers and racer does not do the marshell after the race....on top of that, more $$ for the track.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loopedeloop

Nothing personal......but myself, if that happened on me, I will only tell myself..." WHY do I hit the board...?"
Marshall only their to help, they don't necessary need to respond quickly because you made a mistake...........I hit the board a lot, and at one time, my car was stuck at the corner for 30 second.........I can only blaim myself, why do I made that mistake...?
I think we can try to teach and improve the way we marshall.......but never yell and blaim them to not pull your car out of our own mistake fast enough...

Atsushi Hara marshall races after his race......if he missed our car at the corner and react 1 second too late......do you think anyone of us will YELL at him and take him "WAKE UP"...?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Yelling at a marshall..

ive been guilty of yelling at a marshall.. BUT.. im yelling because they are zoning out, daydreaming of Jessica Alba...or wondering about their next race or something.. so I would yell at the top of my lungs to get their attention.

then after the race.. if i can find the marshall (they usually speed off back into their pits) and let them know.. i was yelling to get their attention. not yelling in anger.

ive been yelled at plenty of times... but then again.. Jessica Alba is hard to get out one's mind also!

Old 07-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hebiki
ive been yelled at plenty of times... but then again.. Jessica Alba is hard to get out one's mind also!

Hey, man ! .....I would'nt mind yelling out with Jessica Alba !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.