Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

What I would really like to see is a nice pair of RC specific pliers
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I an glad I induced such a great collective of opinions re: RC tools manufacturers with my "a tool is a tool is a tool" comment. I guess it was kind of ignorant of me to assume that RC tools quality is no big deal ( I know from working on 1:1 cars that tool quality matters but did not figure it would translate into 1:10 so much. Oh Well.)

I appreciate all your guys help, especially with the sizes I will need, and look forward to purchashing my Integy drivers and going to town, Again, FINALLY! I have been dead in the water for 1.5 weeks, No motor, no battery, yes those were in the tool box as well.

Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckaspar
How about the Integy line of tools? They are about half the price of the Hudy tools. Are they junk?
Some of the integy tools are alright. But the hex drivers I would skip for something better. The fit of the integy hex drivers is a little sloppy. However the nut drivers work great but are a little heavy. I also like the shock shaft pliers integy has.

Here is a breakdown from my personal experience with hex driver brands.

Dynamite; good bang for the buck, when new the fit is pretty good. But they wear out quickly and the ends of the smaller tips, 0.050" and 1/16", torque easily.

Integy; the worst hex drivers I have used, can't think of a good thing for them, sloppy fit and the smaller tips break easily.

Associated; I consider these the middle of the road tools, they have a good fit, color coated handles which fit my hand nicely and the bigger tips last a long time. The smaller tips however break easily. Most of my hex drivers are associated.

Hudy; These tools are great, I have yet to replace a tip from being broken or worn out. I have never stripped a screw with them. The hex drivers I use most often are hudy. 0.050", 1/16" and 2mm. Downside is cost and the handles are small for the smaller drivers.

This is my experience with those tools, everyone has different experiences so opinions will vary. I suggest staying away from the integy hex drivers, and let your budget determine from there.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

I actually bought a 11/32" losi nutdriver last week. I opened up the package in the parking lot in my car and noticed that the inside of the hex portion looked like it got brittle and some chunks were cracked off. I did see some indications of excessive heat damage due to the discoloration around the cracks, but not sure whether it was due to some machining process or the coating process. I brought it back inside and had some store guy look at it and bring out other tools. Sure enough, the other tools of the same size were showing the same damage as well as the 3/8 driver. I don't think this will break the tool in half or anything since i only envision tightening the locknuts on the wheels, but it kinda made me sad for the $14 I spent on the tool.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CE28N
I actually bought a 11/32" losi nutdriver last week. I opened up the package in the parking lot in my car and noticed that the inside of the hex portion looked like it got brittle and some chunks were cracked off. I did see some indications of excessive heat damage due to the discoloration around the cracks, but not sure whether it was due to some machining process or the coating process. I brought it back inside and had some store guy look at it and bring out other tools. Sure enough, the other tools of the same size were showing the same damage as well as the 3/8 driver. I don't think this will break the tool in half or anything since i only envision tightening the locknuts on the wheels, but it kinda made me sad for the $14 I spent on the tool.
I dunno what's up with that but i whore out sqc049's losi nut drivers all the time cause they are so schweet.... i cannot wait to buy a set of my own.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I dunno what's up with that but i whore out sqc049's losi nut drivers all the time cause they are so schweet.... i cannot wait to buy a set of my own.
Yeah man, I have a set of standard Losi nut drivers and Metric Losi hex drivers and they have lasted forever and work great. I have had the nut drivers for over 3 years, still with their original tips.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SQC049
Yeah man, I have a set of standard Losi nut drivers and Metric Losi hex drivers and they have lasted forever and work great. I have had the nut drivers for over 3 years, still with their original tips.
Those are 1095 dayz old ?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Those are 1095 dayz old ?
Yeah, I've had them for years.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

perhaps its was just a bad batch.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

I haven't heard them mentioned so I figured I'd post: I've used MIP/Thorp hex wrenches for at least five years with a lot of success - long enough that the writing showing the size has worn off and I just go by feel! My drivers are still sharp and can remove screws that other wrenches can't grab. MIP also has a tip re-grind deal with them where if the tool ever wears out/the very tip breaks off you can send them in and have it re-ground, free of charge. I broke my .050" wrench about 3 years ago using it as a drift pin and they redid the tip for me, no problems. I don't know if that program is still around, 'cause I haven't had to use it since then (learned my lesson and bought a proper drift pin!). They are a little heavy compared to the Hudy tools, but I prefer the solid feel they have.

http://www.miponline.com/MIP/Tools/Tools.html

As for nut drivers, I have some Trinity ones for the 3/16" and 1/4", and the Losi wrenches for the wheel nuts. Both work great, IMHO. The one thing I would say; be careful when you're picking out the smaller wrenches with the wall thickness; a while back I bought a 1/4" wrench only to find out that the wall was too thick to fit in some of the places on my car.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Talking MIP/THORP! AE..............is the killer of All! Legend!

+1....
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Paul_Sinclair;4548638]
http://www.miponline.com/MIP/Tools/Tools.html
[QUOTE]

DAMN!! Those are expensive! YOu could almost buy 2 AE hex drivers for the price of one of these.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

*shrug* They're worth every penny to me; but I've been in the hobby for a while and plan to stay in a long time. I think they were like $12/driver back when I bought them.

The first real tools I had (past the 'L' wrenches) were AE's; bought them about 2 weeks after I got my first kit. They worked pretty well, but I learned to carry around a few extra tips especially for the smaller drivers. The AE tools I had aren't available any more; they changed the design, so I can't really comment on their current line. I think I still have some replacement tips for my old AE wrenches floating around somewhere, in fact... Anyways, having the right tool for the job, and having good quality tools, is worth a lot to me. You pay your money and take your pick, I guess. I just wanted to let people know of another quality option.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Facom tools ...
They make tools since 1918, no bullshit, Unlimited lifetime warranty.
Absolutly expensive but they worth it
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Paul_Sinclair

The first real tools I had (past the 'L' wrenches) The AE tools I had aren't available any more; they changed the design, so I can't really comment on their current line............
.........Anyways, having the right tool for the job, and having good quality tools, is worth a lot to me. You pay your money and take your pick, I guess. I just wanted to let people know of another quality option.
I think i have used the new design, i was pretty impressed with them.

Exactly