Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMP Body for Touring Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default amazing

I love your work. I have prototype shells made from Carbon kevlar. I just wanted to see if i could produce a complex one piece part with undercuts. It was autoclaved. I'd love to make something like that from composites. the bodies i made ended up being 10 ounces heavier than lexan but i could stand on the roof and twist it, and the kevlar would help it regain its form. good but to expensive to produce. A body would be around $250 to 300 canadian. Keep working at it. Need change from the regular touring bodies.

later
chris

Attached Thumbnails LMP Body for Touring Cars-sample04.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Awesome thread! It doesn't matter to me which type of chassis you guys want to put these bodies on, they'll look friggin' GREAT flying around the track. If the r/c industry was a bit more in tune and in line with the current crop of popular race cars, I'm sure the newbies per month ratio would increase!

"Dad, is that the car we saw on SPEED channel last night? Yes son, it is. I'll take two!"
Old 08-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Awesome thread! It doesn't matter to me which type of chassis you guys want to put these bodies on, they'll look friggin' GREAT flying around the track. If the r/c industry was a bit more in tune and in line with the current crop of popular race cars, I'm sure the newbies per month ratio would increase!

"Dad, is that the car we saw on SPEED channel last night? Yes son, it is. I'll take two!"
At least in Europe we have two big touring car series that are popular, WTCC and DTM, plus many national touring car series.

Anyway my idea is to replace the boring 1/12 chassis with slightly bigger but still light cars, 2wd with individual suspension front and rear and more realistic looking LMP bodies. For examle similar chassis to MLP with bodies like the tamiya Dome LMP.

These cars would be working great at the same tracks as 1/10 touring cars both indoors and outdoors.
Attached Images   

Last edited by moonman; 08-17-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moonman
At least in Europe we have two big touring car series that are popular, WTCC and DTM, plus many national touring car series.

Anyway my idea is to replace the boring 1/12 chassis with slightly bigger but still light cars, 2wd with individual suspension front and rear and more realistic looking LMP bodies. For examle similar chassis to MLP with bodies like the tamiya Dome LMP.

These cars would be working great at the same tracks as 1/10 touring cars both indoors and outdoors.
You might want to page back I am on it!
Well here is a picture of ours with the Tamiya body
we are making a full suspension car for the older style Tamiya bodies.

Just like our F206F1 1/10 scale R/C car but for the Group C and GTP and LMP cars .

D-Drive
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthr...754#post2573754
F206F1
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthr...50&page=5&pp=30
X10P4 Touring car
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116488
GTP/LMP/DP Car
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125251

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I am glad i brought this back to the top. See Sammy... alot of people are wanting this so don't give up just yet!

And Marty, by the looks from the last picture you posted ( the one on the right... rear view) I never knew designing/building these things were soo stressful! With all of the medicines in the background, I think i'll change my mind about scratch-building something for myself! (just picking with you! )

Mark
Old 08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

It is and it is a lot of work and a lot of endless days.

The Meds Well at the end of july I had a storke (Heart attack) Not good we had 2 bad storms just days apart and the loss of power and our back up system was dead, as the water ran into the shop so no sump pump or power there was only one thing to do and that was to use buckets well after 4 to 5 hours of carrering 2 10 gals buckets out for hours I guess I was found face down out in the driveway and rushed to the hospital,

I am told I will be fine in time and doing what the Doc tells me to, but for now things will muttle on here the best we can!

Thank you
Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

I do have a Scale drawing of a 1/12 scale Full suspension RWD car it is about 12 years old, I could copy it for you and email it to you if you would want to try.

Plus my first car that I made was a RS4 PRO / XXX4 Yep a dirt buggy Rs4 pro.

That was back when they had just come out with the PRO2 and it cost me about 600.00 in USD.

Next Question would be why did I do that? Well because I was told I couldn't do it.

Well after winning most of the races I ran in with it. Here we are Today.

So I would say go for I would like to see other people making cars,Bodies and chassis.

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-18-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

For those complaining about scale realism there is still one company that makes realistic looking bodies-Tamiya.

Also if a sanctioning body really cared about the racing for racing's sake they could make a positive mold looking very much scale and offer it up for sale to any body manufactures that are willing to buy the mold. This would allow them to all be equal and the sancioning body could make some money to put back into there organization.

Yes you would have three or more dfferent body companies selling virtually the same body but that happens today with several products and it's up to the companies to markets and distribute the product in a manner that benefits the consumer to gain their business. This way there is little risk and everyone has the best opportunity for reward. I do not understand why this is not done more often with a lot of things that are easily controlled? What if there was a box that all batteries had to fit in? What if every Touring Car had to begin with the same bottom chassis? What if every tire had the same durometer under a range of set temps? What if every motor was given a torque/rpm rule instead of a wind limit?

There are a lot of what if's hopefully soon we wil have some solutions.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

Rainey, yeah, I'm glad you brought it up, too. It affirms that there is a ton of interest in the concept.

Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
I do have a Scale drawing of a 1/12 scale Full suspention RWD car it is about 12 years old, I could copy it for you and email it to you if you would want to try.
Absolutely, that would be very helpful! My email is [email protected]
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe

If you saw it on Speed it must be a stock car!

Seriously, though, Daytona Prototypes (overturned hot-tubs) are hideous, except for maybe the Crawford, but just barely. It's like the Gran Am said to itself when coming up with the rules for D.P.'s, "Gee, I like the idea of closed cockpit prototypes, now what can we do to make them ugly?"
Old 09-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ed Delgado

Seriously, though, Daytona Prototypes (overturned hot-tubs) are hideous, except for maybe the Crawford, but just barely. It's like the Gran Am said to itself when coming up with the rules for D.P.'s, "Gee, I like the idea of closed cockpit prototypes, now what can we do to make them ugly?"
Yes I do not care for the bubble Roof ! But there is that word again over and over in racing! Safety! I for one thought they were going to go back to a GTP type car when the made this change. But Owell I like to watch it

And after the Flood this is all I have let of the 1/12 scale full suspnsion on road car left Something more to work on over the winter, and yes it would run on the currant 1/12 scale foams.

sorry best I can do even the cad file that was on cd got trashed as did most of my Designs but well time for a clean sheet of paper right

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ed Delgado

while not directly owned by nascar, there are nascar based investors in the series and i'm sure they have some say, so it wouldn't be surprising that they are a bit awkward. just look at most of the neckcar race cars now.. noses are shovels, rear is so high in the air that you can hardly see over the spoiler. *cough* wedge*cough*.

according to their grand am site:
Daytona Prototypes are produced to similar specifications by seven approved constructors—Riley Technologies, Doran Designs, Crawford Race Cars, Fabcar Engineering, Chase Competition Engineering, Picchio and Multimatic. Although each chassis is independently designed and manufactured, competitor modifications are highly limited by Grand American rules and certain parts—including series-standard rear wings—are mandated by the series. A Daytona Prototype chassis costs about $400,000, but the cars can be raced in their current configuration for several years within Grand American’s stable rules package.

- so yeah, just about stock car :P but these guys race like men, in rain, turn both ways. i'll take it over neckcar anyday.

Marty looks interesting. Keep up the efforts - just dont kill yourself doing it.
i am anti-4wd f1 though :P 4wd defeats half the purpose of racing on something where its not dirt-ish or doesn't have jumps (knowing how to use the throttle)
Old 09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

I Concur!!!!

Well there he is Mason ^5
on the 2WD cars throttle control is everything to racing !!!!!!

I also need to make a living and if I can not get them to run a 2WD car then I will take 4WD F1 to them! and see what is what as they say.

I never see him say much (Mason) but when he dose it is right on the head and to the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and will do Bud!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Dont mean to jump on this thread, but I am still in the process of making a Ferrari 333SP body, started it 2 years ago, but my job has halted progress for the last 6 months.....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=333sp

An update will be done hopefully this week
Old 09-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dancin stu
Dont mean to jump on this thread, but I am still in the process of making a Ferrari 333SP body, started it 2 years ago, but my job has halted progress for the last 6 months.....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=333sp

An update will be done hopefully this week
That's perfectly allright jumping in here. I started this thread, not only to update people on the progress of the LMP TC shell I was making, but also to talk about other prototype sheels for touring cars that might be available. You've done some nice work there! I can totally understand the prolonged delays, though. It's tough, but definitely one of those "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" situations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.