Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
Anywhere near Lincoln that is Tamiya M chassis friendly? >

Anywhere near Lincoln that is Tamiya M chassis friendly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere near Lincoln that is Tamiya M chassis friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Anywhere near Lincoln that is Tamiya M chassis friendly?

Hi all,
Just getting into this hobby after drooling after the pro style cars since childhood (and I felt like I was just a big kid who was being paid $1000 a paycheck to tinker with computers this summer when I ordered my first M chassis)
Now I have 2 (one for me, one for her) and we're looking for more than the local campus to run them on. A track that has "open" days would be awesome, as she's horrible in terms of driving (cracked a front wheel on my M before I ordered hers by planting it into a curb) and both of our cars are running AM with Brushed motors and NiMh stick packs, so I doubt we'd keep up.

If there's a ton of M chassis owners around, I'd be ecstatic. I doubt I could get out much (studying to be a teacher, as is the other half, and our weekends aren't always open) but we'd be willing to try just for the joy of racing.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192
Hi all,
Just getting into this hobby after drooling after the pro style cars since childhood (and I felt like I was just a big kid who was being paid $1000 a paycheck to tinker with computers this summer when I ordered my first M chassis)
Now I have 2 (one for me, one for her) and we're looking for more than the local campus to run them on. A track that has "open" days would be awesome, as she's horrible in terms of driving (cracked a front wheel on my M before I ordered hers by planting it into a curb) and both of our cars are running AM with Brushed motors and NiMh stick packs, so I doubt we'd keep up.

If there's a ton of M chassis owners around, I'd be ecstatic. I doubt I could get out much (studying to be a teacher, as is the other half, and our weekends aren't always open) but we'd be willing to try just for the joy of racing.
Like a mo5?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Hi all,

Have you been to the Plex in Omaha? Or the outdoor track in Lincoln?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Mini used to be one of the biggest classes in Omaha. It may see a resurgence soon. The Tamiya TCS race is usually hosted once a year at the Plex. In the winter, there is usually a small class of Mini's that run during the club races. There are a few cheap mods you will want to do and tips. Any of us will be happy to help you.

Here is a video from the Mini Class heyday at the Plex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQl5rR-m0cQ
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by WILDWILLIE 9
Like a mo5?
we run a pair of m03 chassis, as the parts are cheap and easy to come by as rollers or spares.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jasons56
Have you been to the Plex in Omaha? Or the outdoor track in Lincoln?
not yet. only had my mini in the area for a few weeks, and hers isn't in till Wednesday. hers shipped with the aluminum steering knuckle set, and the tamiya silver can. I have blue aluminum knuckles, but haven't installed them yet, and run a Trinity SlotMachine II with a Nova cyclone. both are 20t pinions. hers has a ball diff, mine is stock. I have a few sets of slicks and radials, but run rc18t tires for fun usually, as they can absorb more of a beating (and they are $10 for 8 back home slightly used)

shocks are friction on both. stock springs too.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There is a permanent asphalt track in Lincoln at 1st & Cornhusker. You can go there any day except Saturdays to run your cars. They race on Saturdays, so feel free to go watch but they don't race those types of cars. It will give you a chance to drive without worrying about traffic and the boards are a little more forgiving than curbs.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jasons56
Mini used to be one of the biggest classes in Omaha. It may see a resurgence soon. The Tamiya TCS race is usually hosted once a year at the Plex. In the winter, there is usually a small class of Mini's that run during the club races. There are a few cheap mods you will want to do and tips. Any of us will be happy to help you.

Here is a video from the Mini Class heyday at the Plex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQl5rR-m0cQ
Right, so her's showed up today. Mind pointing me in the right direction to talk Mini class with people in general? I'm starting to feel like mine needs an overhaul compared to her newer M03.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Right, so her's showed up today. Mind pointing me in the right direction to talk Mini class with people in general? I'm starting to feel like mine needs an overhaul compared to her newer M03.
For the carpet track, it comes down to three things.

Tires, tires, and tires.

Traction compound is used on tires racing carpet tracks to keep the rubber fresh and clean. Typically it is some kind of solvent. For best results, you want to run whatever the majority of the other racers are running as some kinds of compounds don't mix.

For messing around at home with things around the house, WD40 and some kinds of suntan lotion work well. You apply wd40 at night and let it soak in. Then clean the tires the next morning with Simple Green.

If you race at the Plex, they have a compound called SXT that most people run.

Then the other big tip, especially for M03 tire prep. Super GLue. When you get the tires sticky with traction prep, it makes them grip really well. But in some parts of the corner TOO well making them want to tip over in hard corners. So you put a little super glue on the sidewalls on the tires. If the traction is really high you might even put some on the first tread.

Then you have really good forward traction and when you corner hard and the tire leans over onto the sidewall the glue helps keep you from rolling.

Also, a set of Tamiya option springs help lower the car. You want it almost rubbing the track on carpet.

Once you get fast, another trick is to add shims (or tighten if ball dif) to the differential to tighten up so you don't spin the inside tire so much coming off tight corners. This can knock a full second off lap times and it also makes the car a little more smooth to drive. This trick only applies to FWD minis.

On the M03, a stronger servo saver can help a lot. Also, if you don't have the aluminum front knuckes you can use the plastic knuckles from the M05. The are a lot stronger and have better geometry as well. They do require you to get different bearings, but the Plex has very reasonable prices.

If you take your Minis to the Plex in Omaha ask for Alex or Tim to help. Both of them have competed with the fastest Mini racers in the nation and know the tricks!

Great thing about FWD minis is that all the things you need to mod a champ level car cost under $30!

No other racing class can you do that.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

right now we are just bashing around the campus commons or parking lots until she gets some sort of control over her system. we run slicks on the front, and 60D Radial on the rear. mine seems much more difficult to roll when off, as if the motor is more stiff, or something similar. mine also has a difficult spot when spinning the gears with no motor mounted where it'll get caught and require more force to spin past it. I'm assuming that is bad, but dot know how to remedy it. I've tried swapping the whole gear set, tried different diffs (have 4 complete planetary ones, and 2 complete gear sets) and it hasn't helped much. previous owner had a 25t pinion in. I swapped pinions and gears as soon as the replacements from tamiya came in, but it still runs loud and "stiff"

what sort of grease or oil should I apply to the gears? rc-mini doesn't say.