Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

I think the stock Go-Karts from Kyosho or Thunder Tiger would make a great on-road entry-level class, just as they are in the full-scale auto racing world. Limited set-up options, easy and relatively slow. I built an F-104 Pro and found it next to impossible to get around a track. Now it's a shelf queen.

On-Road needs a class that is just fun and low-maintenance. I lost interest in it for a variety of reasons, but the number one reason was the huge focus on set-up.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes. F1 is a good class.

- $150 for the kit
- 30 minute run times on a single Lipo charge
- Open wheel scale looks
- Realism
- Easy maintenance, simplicity for beginners

We run tamiya 14T brushless motors, rubber tires, not a problem to get around a track quickly. Simply slap a steel axle, 120grm weight in sides of battery, have a very flat profiled rear tire for max contact patch, tire traction compound for the rear.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just did some price checking.

A F104 F60 from Tower is 184.99.
You could get a ESC for $50 and a radio system(radio, receiver, servo) for $100
So for $335 you have a RTR F1. I know there is no battery or charger. This is comparable to what most other RTR vehicles come with.

You can get the F104w for as low as $160. Tamiya used to offer a RTR F104 for $536.

The Traxxas Slash RTR ranges from $186-$488 depending on various options available.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Make it RTR and reasonably priced, make it durable, make it interesting, and make it have grip EVERYWHERE. There's your winning combo. We can discuss royalties later.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Wow that only took a page or two to get the VTA drum to start beating lol.
+1
... and since they run off anybody that won't talk VTA (to the letter), or follow their imperialistic views on how they do things, I don't think it right they're here beating their drum or even mentioning their class here.

That being said, IMHO, the same thing that killed the Slash class at my local track(s) is the same thing that ruined VTA racing in my area. Silver cans (cheating), one manufacturer class, and beating and banging basher-mentality racing.
Sure VTA has moved onto BL and gotten Novak to build them a system, but at the same time they're still running the "chassis of the month/year" format, despite their claims otherwise - or they're just another TC class with vintage looking bodies, IMHO.
But the thing that helped SC racing growth was the acceptance in the Class of other manufacturer's products. Once SC got going, the Slash class went away - totally.

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez
After watching the F1 class at the IIC race it looks pretty good. With F1 coming to the US it has the same realism that people can relate to and provides a lower cost entry class for onroad racing.

Could F1 do for onroad what shortcourse did for offroad?

Tekin Prez
I love the idea of getting a proper F1 Class going, and it being accepted by a national ruling body - but as others have mentioned without some uniformity among the manufacturers (dimensions - wheelbase, specs, etc) it leaves us back to talking about a 1-car class like the original slash class. But we can get it together, if companies like F109, Tamiya, and even Associated gets on board and produce cars that fit the bill and have a chance of being equally competitive.

I don't want an RTR, I don't want silver cans, I don't want "Vintage F1" (which is what it would take with the current limited offerings and body styles), I don't want go-karts, I don't want 1-car/manu. classes, I don't want to build a class for bashers (or rookies, or pros) - I want one adults can get involved in for roughly $500-700, BL/Lipo, to appeal to adults/the F1 crowd, like real F1 racing. A class we can hold the annual "nationals" in Austin at the Circuit of the Americas track, and attract crossover participation from spectators and potential sponsors.

Maybe Tekin can get the party started by offering to build an affordable BL system.

Last edited by kaycerc; 10-11-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaycerc
+1 ... and since the run off anybody that won't talk VTA, or follow their imperialistic views on how they do things, I don't think it right they're here beating their drum or even mentioning their class.
You will address me as your Benevolent Dictator. That is all
Old 10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by robk
You will address me as your Benevolent Dictator. That is all
Maybe, when you start sending me a check every month. Until then you'll have to settle for Prince Doodie-Head.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Duratrax used to sell their Delphi Indy Car as a RTR, didn't they?

Yes they did. Out of the box the car was one step below a doorstop. I sent a message to them that a full option car would be very competitive against the ones from other builders. I have 4 of them and loaned one to a bud of mine that never raced onroad. At the end of the series he won the championship with that car by 1 point over a well prepped F103 with 14 cars in the 4 cell class. Yes Duratrax could do it no problem and probably would again if F1 had a stable base of classes and rules. I still think a silvercan (low start cost) class and a 21.5 brushless for the seasoned racers would be ideal for newbies and vets as well. Then maybe they could be included in more onroad events. Then you will see the class grow. Who want's to take the job on this? It will need more than one.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kdeselms
I think the stock Go-Karts from Kyosho or Thunder Tiger would make a great on-road entry-level class, just as they are in the full-scale auto racing world. Limited set-up options, easy and relatively slow. I built an F-104 Pro and found it next to impossible to get around a track. Now it's a shelf queen.

On-Road needs a class that is just fun and low-maintenance. I lost interest in it for a variety of reasons, but the number one reason was the huge focus on set-up.
Stay away from the Kyosho and Thunder Tiger karts. Not that great and parts could be a problem since they mirror Tamiya by discontinuing something just as you are ready to buy one. Check the teamedge rc karts first. Inexspensive, tough and they have a lot of support for the product. It's all they do and they need no real setups or maintenence. Just dust them off with a brush once in a while and have at it! We are totaly hooked on these things.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
Duratrax used to sell their Delphi Indy Car as a RTR, didn't they?

Yes they did. Out of the box the car was one step below a doorstop. I sent a message to them that a full option car would be very competitive against the ones from other builders. I have 4 of them and loaned one to a bud of mine that never raced onroad. At the end of the series he won the championship with that car by 1 point over a well prepped F103 with 14 cars in the 4 cell class. Yes Duratrax could do it no problem and probably would again if F1 had a stable base of classes and rules. I still think a silvercan (low start cost) class and a 21.5 brushless for the seasoned racers would be ideal for newbies and vets as well. Then maybe they could be included in more onroad events. Then you will see the class grow. Who want's to take the job on this? It will need more than one.

3Racing builds a good looking F1 chassis...100.00...a 21.5 and 7.4 lipo would be a blast...
Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is great reading- again and again.A silver can/21.5 great I've raced a silver can against a 21.5 and was very competitive. An old 27 turn motor no contest- easily faster and it was a antique I had on the shelf.The Rubber tires are a big problem with me. There are NO hobby shops that would carry the rims and tires. Had to order them from california-japan or china. Foams are available EVERYWHERE.
The other killer is as soon as you got your new kit and showed up at the track everyone had spent another $300.00 on the new chassis set-ups from Japan.Not everyone used to race these thing back in the mid 90's. I can make my old F103 competitive with minor changes (the same things I did back then) alot cheaper. Now the trackthat used to race these things - the class is DEAD. And my car just sets on the bench ready to run but instead collects dust.I'll be ready for the next go around with the F1's.
Oh and someone wants to do go karts- contact Rick at RJSpeed.com as see if he still has the old Bolink Gokart mold for a 1/10 wide car.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

see if he still has the old Bolink Gokart mold for a 1/10 wide car.

A lot of the molds are missing from the Bolink days and have not been found as of yet. That would be a kiiler body to run.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaycerc
Maybe, when you start sending me a check every month. Until then you'll have to settle for Prince Doodie-Head.
i wouldn't wait by the mailbox
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default F1 Rules

The only rule that there really needs to be for the time being is F1 type tyres and not pan car.. the car also has to look like a F1 car.. so no pan front suspension... no motor and esc limits.. with my 109 if I put a more powerful motor in it the car becomes to much of a handful to drive and cant put the power down anyway. When the numbers are high enough and ppl become obviously faster with different motors then limit it.

F1 is awsome to watch and a challenge to drive.. watching 10 F1 cars go around a track at any track will get new members.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

I hate to tell ya but...your F109 IS a pan car with a pan car front suspension. It is just made to look like a F1 style suspension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.