Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Hey guys, I gotta know is there any alternative to using the scythe spool??? What I wanna know is, is there any other kind or brand of spool from other cars that could fit the scythe???

I'm just so sick of replacing the c-joint blades every after heat... I had a race today and I went replacing the blades 4 times...
I know that my spool could have been toast and need replacement but I dont wish to face this problem anytime in the near future again...

Is there any way or mod that could be done to the original spool that would allow me to run without using the blades on it ???

Thnx in advance...am frustrated with the blades breaking...
The best thing to do is build yourself a slipper spool. This is an ordinary diff ith AE slipper spool plates in place of your steel diff plates. What you end up with is a spool that has "give" according to how tight you set it.

Check out the image below and you can just see a diff in the front of my chassis. It has had the same c-clips in it for over 2 months worth of modified and 10.5 racing.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car-pic_00053.jpg  
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is there anyway I could run safetly without using the blades ??? Any mods perhaps ???

Is there other brand of spools for other brand of cars that doesnt require the use of c-joint blades that fits in the top scythe???
Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Champion

Is there anyway I could run safetly without using the blades ??? Any mods perhaps ???

Is there other brand of spools for other brand of cars that doesnt require the use of c-joint blades that fits in the top scythe???
Both the delrin spool and the steel spool do not use blades. I strongly suggest you try the slipper spool. You will love it.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Both the delrin spool and the steel spool do not use blades. I strongly suggest you try the slipper spool. You will love it.
How do you build this slipper spool?? Does it belongs to TC5 and just fit and play onto the scythe???

About the delrin spool, is it reliable and strong enough to sustain racing collision???
Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

How do you build this slipper spool?? Does it belongs to TC5 and just fit and play onto the scythe???

About the delrin spool, is it reliable and strong enough to sustain racing collision???
I wouldn't trust the delrin spool to a single collison but it does offer the best steering from a spool.

For a slipper spool all you need is to build a standard diff (alloy is best) but replace the steel diff plates with associated slipper spool pads as seen in the link below...
http://www.redrc.net/2008/06/team-as...ormance-parts/
These pads used with all the other normal part make a great spool that lasts longer. Give it a go you won't be dissapointed.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't trust the delrin spool to a single collison but it does offer the best steering from a spool.

For a slipper spool all you need is to build a standard diff (alloy is best) but replace the steel diff plates with associated slipper spool pads as seen in the link below...
http://www.redrc.net/2008/06/team-as...ormance-parts/
These pads used with all the other normal part make a great spool that lasts longer. Give it a go you won't be dissapointed.
For the current alloy spool I have, what can I do to save it from going into the trash can??? Can I still salvage it?? What mod can I do to continue it being able to run for races ?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
You should talk to the Manager at HobbyTown. I bet you could convince her to stock some parts for you. LOL

You should too E.J.

She can only stock it if HB USA sends it Scotty still hasn't received a team order but has plenty of rcmarket orders Matt Francis loved red and he's my hero so I may be trying one for next years asphalt season
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

For the current alloy spool I have, what can I do to save it from going into the trash can??? Can I still salvage it?? What mod can I do to continue it being able to run for races ?
Well if you can file down the inside edges of the spool and make them flat and smooth again it would be fine. But you will probably increase the amount of play too much for you to be fast.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well if you can file down the inside edges of the spool and make them flat and smooth again it would be fine. But you will probably increase the amount of play too much for you to be fast.
Wow great timing, there seems to be a thread on a new lightweight spool for scythe... from the pics I cant seem to figure if they are using the c-joint blades or not....

About the amount of play, is it ok to have excessive play in the spool coz it seems that someone advised me that there must not be more play than what was preset from the factory... any more play will definitely damage the blades instantly.... is this true?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Tech Champion

Wow great timing, there seems to be a thread on a new lightweight spool for scythe... from the pics I cant seem to figure if they are using the c-joint blades or not....

About the amount of play, is it ok to have excessive play in the spool coz it seems that someone advised me that there must not be more play than what was preset from the factory... any more play will definitely damage the blades instantly.... is this true?
The greater the play, the greater the initial stress on the blades when you go from throttle to breaking and back again.

The new spool looks like it uses replaceable plastic outdrives which means it won't use blades. Looks like it is solid enuf to take a hit or two and live to tell the tale. Nice.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Any news from the T.O.P team from the recent IFMAR World Championship in Thailand ??

Whats the part number for the new lightweight spool that has a plastic outdrive ???

What is the common rebound used on a Scythe ???

3 questions to spice up the TOP Scythe thread.....
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Hybrid Solid Axle Set PO-SDT113RD (for the red one)

Delrin Solid Axle Cup PO-SDT022 (replacement drive cup)

Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by odpurple
Hybrid Solid Axle Set PO-SDT113RD (for the red one)

Delrin Solid Axle Cup PO-SDT022 (replacement drive cup)

Why arent these items listed inside the TOP Japan and American website ?

I went to check them at the website and neither items appear in neither website...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

It takes a little while for new products to appear on the websites. What would you like to know?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by odpurple
It takes a little while for new products to appear on the websites. What would you like to know?

Well I was just checking to find out if they are out in the market yet... Usually if it has appeared in the website, they should be out in the market already...

How much should this new spool set cost ? How much is the replacement delrin outdrives ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.