Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
novarossi EXPERTS only - precisely what is this motor? >

novarossi EXPERTS only - precisely what is this motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

novarossi EXPERTS only - precisely what is this motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

c'mon!!! i need an answer to this guys! i'm gonna start this damn motor up and break it in TONITE!!

anybody know the answer about the crank here....
thx!
Old 04-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It makes no difference if you use a turbo button with your crank. I would prefer to use a turbo button if my track permitted it, but we conform to ROAR rules. The turbo button will make the motor faster. You should use the turbo button, I think you will like it. Just because your motor has a turbo cut in the crank (most new Novarossi's do) does not mean that the manufacturer puts a turbo button on it, in fact most engines like the MR12 and RS12 come with standard buttons unless you get one designated as a turbo.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by cybertoolzz
c'mon!!! i need an answer to this guys! i'm gonna start this damn motor up and break it in TONITE!!

anybody know the answer about the crank here....
thx!
run it as it is. you wont notice any differance and it will cost you mre money. according to dennis rithey the turbo plug differance is not high.
i would be more concerened that its a truck off road engine and will have differant power characteristic's to an on road engine
Old 04-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

I agree with Cartman on this one. But as for more expensive I dont know. Turbo plugs are more expensive to buy (granted, which would explain his theory) but they are supposed to last a lot longer than standard plugs which cancels out the extra expense. They also wont burn out as quick if you go too lean with the needles unlike a conventional plug which will almost detonate straightaway.

But the downside to the Turbo Plug is that the engine becomes more critical to temperature change and you maybe will end up having to readjust the needles for every run if the weather changes drastically like it does here.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by modellor
I agree with Cartman on this one. But as for more expensive I dont know. Turbo plugs are more expensive to buy (granted, which would explain his theory) but they are supposed to last a lot longer than standard plugs which cancels out the extra expense. They also wont burn out as quick if you go too lean with the needles unlike a conventional plug which will almost detonate straightaway.

But the downside to the Turbo Plug is that the engine becomes more critical to temperature change and you maybe will end up having to readjust the needles for every run if the weather changes drastically like it does here.

you make it sound like we never agree!!!

a turbo button (head is £20) thats a fair few plugs
Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, sorry Cartman. I should have worded it better. We do agree a lot more than my statement read.

It is a few plugs worth when you look at it like that. But I went through 5 plugs one weekend trying to find the potential on my RB engine and at £3 a time it soon cancelled that extra out.

I prefer the Turbo just for this reason. You can ring it out more and still not blow the plugs as easy.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

good replies here ppl - thx - i know all this about turbo PLUGS. i need to know about turbo CRANKS. no one has answered the very SIMPLE QUESTION;

what is the DIFFERENCE between the two turbo cranks that Novarossi makes for this motor?

remember, i said the part manual lists TWO DIFFERENT part numbers for the cranks of this RS12S1TR. one is a std crank the other says turbo crank. there HAS to be a difference OR the two cranks are EXACTLY the same and the only difference is the PART number (which would not be surprising - damn Italians)!

we all understand that both cranks have the 'shark scoop' and Cartman has suggested that the difference is that the turbo crank has a larger BORE - looking at the bore of my NON-turbo crank - enlarging this bore by even the TINIEST amount would require NOTCHING the stud. the bore opening is directly up against the crank stud.

anyway - i fired it up today with the turbo button and began the break-in process. this motor is FAR more finicky than my trusty STS12 and it took me a long time get the needles right. so far it doesn't seem any better/faster than the STS12 - will keep u all posted...

finally, Cartman - u mention that this motor "will have different power characteristic's to an on road engine" (perhaps some grammar skillz here?) due to the fact that it is designated as a 'TR' TRuck motor - however the tech data at this Italian Novarossi site;

http://www.novarossi.com/Listino/pubblic_price_list.htm

lists PRECISELY the same data and the ONLY difference is that the head is taller (by 5mm by my measurement). Cartman - what do u mean by this statement? what power characteristics are u referring to?

trying to figure the Italian mind .....

thx 4 all the help.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

OKAY - since nobody here REALLY knows the answer i went to the SOURCE.

the difference is not the bore - not the shark groove - the novarossi turbo crank has a WIDENED INLET port -

"Aurora Tentori" <[email protected]>

To : <[email protected]>

Subject : Re: Could SOMEBODY at Novarossi PLEASE answer this question????

Date : Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:18:29 +0200

Dear Sir,

as for the information about the difference between turbo and normal
shaft, please check on our web site English version, Engines, Nova line, 2,1cc
where some of our engines are displayed. If you click on the picture of
the engine, the most important parts of the engines itself are present and
comparing en engine with turbo shaft to one with normal you will see the
difference.

Furthermore shaft 15611 has a wider inlet (aspirazione maggiorata).

The way we call our engines is maybe sometimes confusing, but once you
know the logic we use to call them (see my previous e_mail), everything
should be more clear.

The may of making the setting of the carburetor is not present in the
handbook but if you give a look to our web page, you will find there an
explanation about how to do it.

If any other problem, please advise.

Regards
NOVAROSSI SNC
Aurora Tentori
> -----Messaggio originale-----
> Da: Cyber Toolz [mailto:[email protected]]
> Inviato: luned́ 7 aprile 2003 5.42
> A: [email protected]
> Oggetto: Could SOMEBODY at Novarossi PLEASE answer this question????
>
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> I MUST have an answer to this question; what is the exact DIFFERENCE between the two turbo cranks that
Novarossi makes for the RS12TS1 and the RS12S1TR?
>
>RS12TS1 is a turbo engine with turbo glowplug, turbo underhead and turbo shaft;
> - RS12S1TR is NOT a turbo engine.
>
> After RS12 in the part number you can find following numbers or letters everyone of them has a specific meaning:
>
> T/nothing Turbo or normal
> S/R Indicates the type of carburetor (Slide or rotary)
> 1/2 Type of shaft (1 stands for serpent and 2 stands for standard)
> TR Means Truck (front ball bearing with tubber shield and bigger head for a better cooling)
Old 04-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

i was thinks of more torque, less rpm but it seems the differance is head and cooling fins

my grammer is pooh but its english slang

question?

why make the inlet of a turbo bigger but retain the same size hole in the crank??

possibly differant timing?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Cartman
i
question?

why make the inlet of a turbo bigger but retain the same size hole in the crank??

possibly differant timing?
excellent question!! i was thinking that myself. it must be for the timing - heres a reply to another email i sent to novarossi -

seems i have a "lame leg" engine! hehe but it should last longer.

>From: "Aurora Tentori" <[email protected]>
>Reply-To: "Aurora Tentori" <[email protected]>
>To: "Cyber Toolz" <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: Could SOMEBODY at Novarossi PLEASE answer this question????
>Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:40:23 +0200
>
>We use in Italy to compare the conditions of your engine to the situation of a lame person: one leg is healthy, the other has some problems...
>
>What we mean is that in this way (turbo underhead and turbo glowplug but normal crankshaft) your engine is improving a little its performances but something is missing to reach the maximum; with a turbo engine your engine would be really powerful:-)
>
>As for the expected life of the engine, the most rpm an engine has, the most the engine is tired. It is quite hard to give a precise life expectation of an engine but if you keep the normal shaft, it should last some longer than if it has a turbo crankshaft.

>
>In case of any other question you should have, please address it to me, I will try to replay to you in the most exhaustive way I can (with the help of our team...).
>
>
>Best regards
>NOVAROSSI SNC
>Aurora Tentori
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Cyber Toolz" <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 5:24 PM
>Subject: Re: Could SOMEBODY at Novarossi PLEASE answer this question????
>
>
> > Aurora,
> >
> > thank you for the prompt and complete reply - you have answered my question completly. NOW, my question is this;
> >
> > i have the RS12S1TR - i put a turbo underhead and a #8 turbo plug in it.
>do i need to get a TURBO CRANK 15611 to run THIS motor with the turbo underhead and plug?
> >
> > what are the CONSEQUENCES of running my RS12S1TR using the STANDARD crank 15612 AND a turbo underhead/plug?
> >
> > what performance differences can i expect running the turbo head with the STANDARD crank as compared to using the turbo crank 15611?
> >
> > what will this do to my RS12S1TR in terms of longeviety?
> >
> > will running a turbo head and std crank REDUCE the life of THIS motor?
> >
> > thank you,
> > cyber
Old 04-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

stump puller
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by nova racer
stump puller
what is meant by 'stump puller'?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Cybertool truly lives up to his name but informative read.