Wiki Posts
Search

4 front wheels on 1/10th buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 4 front wheels on 1/10th buggy

i was at the track last night and had a thought. 1/8th buggies use the same size tire all the way around. as in they are all like front tires.

why is this not practiced with 1/10th buggies? there was one guy at the track that DID have 4 front tires on his 1/10th 4wd buggy, and it went around the track just fine.

is there any insight into his doing this? and am i just missing the boat on having rear tires and front tires on my 1/10th 4wd buggy?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjderstine
i was at the track last night and had a thought. 1/8th buggies use the same size tire all the way around. as in they are all like front tires.

why is this not practiced with 1/10th buggies? there was one guy at the track that DID have 4 front tires on his 1/10th 4wd buggy, and it went around the track just fine.

is there any insight into his doing this? and am i just missing the boat on having rear tires and front tires on my 1/10th 4wd buggy?
It might work just find under some track conditions. For example, something really loamy by lend itself well to thinner tires in the rear. However, I think wider rear tires are more desirable in conditions where you can take advantage of mechanical grip in blue groove or wet clay conditions.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

so its a crap shoot, like most things, trial and error.

i dont wanna sound too much like a noob/newb, but is loamy conditions when the track gets all the loose stuff kicked up from the tires all over the track?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have seen that Proline has released wider rear tires for 1/8 buggies...making them more like their 1/10 little brothers...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjderstine
so its a crap shoot, like most things, trial and error.

i dont wanna sound too much like a noob/newb, but is loamy conditions when the track gets all the loose stuff kicked up from the tires all over the track?
Hmm, not really but kinda... If a track runs it "loamy" it is usually meant that the track is wet and dragged but not repacked. It is very "fluffy" and damp.

The stuff kicked up from cars is just when a track starts to get blown out, usually a track will brush or blow off the line.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, my track is def not loamy, its hard clay. it gets watered down, but that dries up fast.

with not having a loamy track, 4 fronts might be fine...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Also keep in mind EVERYTHING about the suspension design and geometry is based on wide rears for a 1/10th, where that's not the case for 1/8