Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Anymore Short Stroke Engines Out There?? >

Anymore Short Stroke Engines Out There??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anymore Short Stroke Engines Out There??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Anymore Short Stroke Engines Out There??

I absolutely swear by short stroke engines in my buggy and since Protek went to a long stroke on their new engines, can anyone point me in the right direction on who, if any, companies still offer a “quality” short stroke race engine?
Old 08-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

An engine is not only made by the stroke or amount of ports. What did you love on the "short stroke" so people can advise something else matching your wishes.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Novarossi bx3 should be a short stroke.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

My Samurai 321B is the best all around engine I've ever had. It is very smooth and consistent, good bottom, and nice mid to top end power. Theoretically it should be easier on the internal parts because the piston speed is slower for a given RPM vs. a long stroke.

I will probably buy the new Samurai S03 long stroke when the time comes though.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Novarossi BX3 Short Stroke
Old 08-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pedro Jesus
Novarossi BX3 Short Stroke
one of them was up on eBay like a week or so ago for like 116 shipped
Old 08-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
An engine is not only made by the stroke or amount of ports. What did you love on the "short stroke" so people can advise something else matching your wishes.
Sorry for the delay responding Roelof, I was busy from Wicked Weekend and another big race here in FL. I really like the linear power of a 3-port, short stroke engine. I like that there’s not too much power and torque on the bottom and to me it seems like they spool up a lot faster, but without the “light switch” affect that you see in some long strokes when they “get on the pipe” when climbing the power band. I’ve tried mellowing out some long strokes by changing pipes, changing timing, etc., I’ve just never been able to find that “feeling” that the old VZB and Samurai engines seem to have in the buggy.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Officespace

Sorry for the delay responding Roelof, I was busy from Wicked Weekend and another big race here in FL. I really like the linear power of a 3-port, short stroke engine. I like that there’s not too much power and torque on the bottom and to me it seems like they spool up a lot faster, but without the “light switch” affect that you see in some long strokes when they “get on the pipe” when climbing the power band. I’ve tried mellowing out some long strokes by changing pipes, changing timing, etc., I’ve just never been able to find that “feeling” that the old VZB and Samurai engines seem to have in the buggy.
I have seen and modified square, long and xtra long strokes and all do change in the same direction if you mod them in a same direction. I have seen how crankshaft timings can do a lot on the way how the motor handles from smooth to twitchy as also from something simple as the carburator needle. Small differences in the taper or even parabolic shape of the needle can give a lot of changes on a same engine.
What you think you love to feel does not only come from the short stroke but from the whole design, like timings, carburator maybe some modding to better the flow etc.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
I have seen and modified square, long and xtra long strokes and all do change in the same direction if you mod them in a same direction. I have seen how crankshaft timings can do a lot on the way how the motor handles from smooth to twitchy as also from something simple as the carburator needle. Small differences in the taper or even parabolic shape of the needle can give a lot of changes on a same engine.
What you think you love to feel does not only come from the short stroke but from the whole design, like timings, carburator maybe some modding to better the flow etc.
That is all true, but the Samurai used an "off the shelf" carb. It was the same carb used in the square bore OS engines,
Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by largeorangefont
That is all true, but the Samurai used an "off the shelf" carb. It was the same carb used in the square bore OS engines,
No way you could see if the carb was all the same