Search
Like Tree9Likes

Monster Truck Kit Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Cly
Tech Rookie

Default Monster Truck Kit Recomendations

I am looking for a monster truck kit. Most monster trucks seam RTR but I want to assemble mine. Any good recommendations? I would like it to be 4wd so I keep coming back to the Tekno 410MT but this guy is fairly pricey. The Pro-Line PRO-MT seems like a nice one but i was really hoping for 4wd. I am looking at monster trucks because I want enough ground clearance to drive in the grass and also enough shock clearance for landing high jumps on concrete. There is a local skate park that is fun to drive on but my stadium truck (old RC10T2) bottoms out like crazy. Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

There really aren't many monster truck kits out there. I'd say go with the tekno but that's over your budget. Try to find a roller for an arrma 8th scale and just slap monster truck tires on it.

Last edited by noel02; 07-17-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Piece together an Arrma Kraton. It's the best value truck out there anyway. Maybe there are cheap enough parts from e-bay chop shops?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tekno MT410 for sure and worth every penny. Most durable truck on the market.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Hoboa mt plus

Originally Posted by 0verkill
Tekno MT410 for sure and worth every penny. Most durable truck on the market.
Hi the hoboa mt plus is a great looking mt and I believe u can buy it in kit form
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Getting something like the Tekno is overkill IMO for a basher. By the time you have it all kitted out it's like the twice the cost of an RTR Kraton.. Nice? Yes.. No doubt. So if you have the cash to burn, go for it. But you are burning cash to be honest. Maybe if you have some spare guts laying around or something. But kits are money pits..

Best RC's I've ever had were RTR LST2's. All the race kits were great and all, but once you see how much value they lose, it's kind of painful to think about after a couple years. Tekno is better in that regard, but still - you'll have spent, what, a grand on a toy car? I'm in the middle of a move, which is massively stressful, but one positive is I will now have a complete garage. I now have all my RC car stuff in one place which I can see all at once. It's kind of sickening to think how much money I spent on toy cars over the years. I'm so happy with the prices and value for money of foamie airplanes and mini quads..
fiery likes this.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gregw1
Hi the hoboa mt plus is a great looking mt and I believe u can buy it in kit form

I believe the Hobao is only sold as RTR and another that is 80% assembled (add your own electronics).
Old 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Getting something like the Tekno is overkill IMO for a basher. By the time you have it all kitted out it's like the twice the cost of an RTR Kraton.. Nice? Yes.. No doubt. So if you have the cash to burn, go for it. But you are burning cash to be honest. Maybe if you have some spare guts laying around or something. But kits are money pits..

Best RC's I've ever had were RTR LST2's. All the race kits were great and all, but once you see how much value they lose, it's kind of painful to think about after a couple years. Tekno is better in that regard, but still - you'll have spent, what, a grand on a toy car? I'm in the middle of a move, which is massively stressful, but one positive is I will now have a complete garage. I now have all my RC car stuff in one place which I can see all at once. It's kind of sickening to think how much money I spent on toy cars over the years. I'm so happy with the prices and value for money of foamie airplanes and mini quads..
I have about $1300 into my MT410 (price includes every single item). Do I think that is crazy, yes. But is it worth it based on all the quality items installed, yes. You get what you pay for many of times. Look at auto parts, you can buy cheap rotors/pads, but you have to spend labor every single time you change them plus parts. I had another custom Tekno MT410 built a few months ago and a fella from Hawaii contacted me and paid $1580 for it shipped because he wanted it. How many brands would give you that, not many if at all.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Cly
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the thoughts everyone (except for Herrsavage. Debby downer) Maybe I'll look for something used or throw some monster truck tires on my stadium truck for kicks. After doing some more recon it seems like the industry went from Kits to RTRs around 2005. I don't get it. One of the things I liked (and still do as I get back in to the hobby) was putting the kits together.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

For someone new to the hobby it's much easier to just open one box (maybe 3 when you add batteries and charger) and then go. Kit you have to not only assemble the vehicle but also purchase motor, esc, radio, etc separately. For someone brand new this can be off putting, especially when they see the total cost of everything. Then they start shopping around for a better deal on a component, get sick of shopping around and end up not buying anything.

I like building and I like kits. But I honestly don't get why people are so hung up on kits. In some cases people won't purchase a vehicle they like and know is good just because it's not a kit. Just buy a good vehicle that suits your needs. If it's RTR tear it apart and rebuild it. You shouldn't trust the asian getting paid pennies a day to have put it together perfect anyway. Honestly what's the difference besides having to clean out some grease on a RTR? It's not like you don't know what the vehicle looks like assembled so a RTR isn't spoiling a surprise. There are eBay chop shops that sell new rollers you can add your own electronics to if you don't like the included stuff. You can assemble from parts from the same chop shops if you want to overpay.

There's lots of options out there for vehicles that only come RTR. If you absolutely have to be the first person putting it together, cutting parts off a tree, then you're gonna pay or get a Tamiya.
MongolPete likes this.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys I have been into this hobby over 25 years
there is nothing wrong with a RTR
you will have to fix it at some point and taking it apart comes as you learn and move forward.
In my early days the KITS and what was good.
We have taken RTR slash 4x4's and beat them for 5 years and only break drive shafts.
In the mean time have been having a blast.
redracerd likes this.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cly
Thanks for the thoughts everyone (except for Herrsavage. Debby downer) Maybe I'll look for something used or throw some monster truck tires on my stadium truck for kicks. After doing some more recon it seems like the industry went from Kits to RTRs around 2005. I don't get it. One of the things I liked (and still do as I get back in to the hobby) was putting the kits together.
Truth hurts...
Old 07-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the mt410 is going to be more expensive but you get what you pay for. plus kits teach you every aspect of your vehicle and you'll know what breaks and how to fix it... if you can break it. those things are bullet proof to say the least
vettehigh likes this.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BMOC
the mt410 is going to be more expensive but you get what you pay for. plus kits teach you every aspect of your vehicle and you'll know what breaks and how to fix it... if you can break it. those things are bullet proof to say the least
The reason I could afford all I wanted in my MT410, was because of the Chase credit card that I have. I was able to get 21 months no interest
Old 07-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

another vote for the tekno mt410 here. as noted multiple times already its expensive but well worth it if you can afford it. I've owned lots of rcs before but none as durable and noteworthy as a Tekno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.