Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Euro Truck Racing League - ETRL - Coming to SoCal! >

Euro Truck Racing League - ETRL - Coming to SoCal!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree30Likes

Euro Truck Racing League - ETRL - Coming to SoCal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Euro Truck Racing League - ETRL - Coming to SoCal!

It's finally here! After a few months of mulling around the idea of a Euro Truck Series, I've finally got things set in stone to get it moving forward.

There will be two classes offered: Spec Truck and Super Truck.

Spec Truck is based on the TCS rules; box stock truck, only upgrades are bearings. Must be built per TCS rules, so no upside down shocks, additional weights, etc (see website for full rules). Handout motors will be issued PER RACE - you get one in the morning, give it back at the end of the day. With that, max gearing is set to a 19T (what comes in the kit). This will alleviate any 'tuned' motor issues - everyone will have equal power.

Super Truck is basically an upgraded Spec Truck. In addition to bearings, tuning parts may be added to make the trucks handle better; shocks, adjustable camber, aluminum steering,etc (again, see the website for full rules). This class will also allow the use of a 21.5T motor and max gearing (22T). This setup has been tested by me quite a bit and it's extremely run (21.5T motor, 22T pinion and motor timing to get the top speed up). It does, however, push the limits of the stock tires so it will be interesting to see who can find that perfect setup.

The schedule is as follows (more info here: ETRL 2019 Schedule)
Round 1 - May 4 - Revelation Raceway
Round 2 - June 8 - TQ RC Racing
Round 3 - July 14 - Cal Raceway
Round 4 - August 18 - TQ RC Racing
Round 5 - September 22 - Cal Raceway
Round 6 - October 20 - Revelation Raceway

Qualifying and Racing will be modeled after the popular UF1 format:
• 3-minute qualifiers using your 5-fastest average laps for seeding in the mains.
• Following along with REAL FIA Euro Truck Racing, M1 (Main 1) will be set according to qualifying. M2 will be set according to the finishing positions of M1, however in reverse order. M3 will be set according to the finishing positions in M2, however in reverse order. You score points for every main (100 for 1st, 99 for 2nd, etc), so it is possible to score a total of 300 points for the day. TQ will earn an additional 2 points for the day.
• There will be 3 main events, each 12 minutes long.
• Each race will have 2 pit stops - see the UF1 video on how the pit stops work:

• 1 throwout for this season.

So, there you have it - quick overview of the new series. Please make sure you check the site for additional info!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Love the name and absolutely not in Europe lol
TPhalen likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

First race of the season starts this Saturday, May 4th, at Revelation Raceway!

Schedule:
8am - Gates open
8:01am - 10am - Practice
10:01am Group photo, Concours and driver's meeting, then right into Qualifying

First entry, $20. Second entry, $15.

Taco guy will be in attendance - each racer will get a Taco Ticket good for 2 tacos. Had them not to long ago - super yummy!

Please make sure you visit the rules page (http://eurotruckracingleague.com/etrl-rules/) so you're fully aware of the rules and how qualifying and the mains work! It's much different than any other form of racing (other than UF1), but I promise you're going to love it!

See everyone there!

Old 04-30-2019, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'll be trying to make this series looks like a lot of fun!
TPhalen likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Glad to see the handout motor rule on the stock class. I don’t know if I’ll do all the races but will try at least a couple.
TPhalen likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Tony, how is the handout motor thing workin?
You got motors?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Tony, how is the handout motor thing workin?
You got motors?
I do have motors - 30 of them. Hopefully that will be enough.

Pick up your motor at the beginning of the day, drop it in your car and go. When the day is over, you'll need return it. Each race you'll pick up a random motor - trying to keep things as fair as possible.

You'll pull a number that is associated with a motor and write your name down on a sheet next to that number. This way I can make sure to get all the motors back.

In keeping with the Spec theme, you'll need to run the motor as is - no breaking in, flushing it with comm drops, cranking on the timing, etc. This is a Spec class that is supposed to be fun. As soon as people start tweaking the motors, the fun goes away (for some).
F N CUDA likes this.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Tony just a quick clarification, we need to run the included pinion in the spec class or is a Robinson 19t pinion ok?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Tony just a quick clarification, we need to run the included pinion in the spec class or is a Robinson 19t pinion ok?
For the first race, I'd like to keep it to the included 19T pinion in the Spec Class.

I know people have said that it is a little soft and wears out quickly, so I might change this rule. Right now, though, using this pinion is going to help me tech trucks for the proper gearing.

If you have a Robinson, please bring it. I may allow you to run it in a heat race so I can see if the motor orientation is different than with the stock 19T. Shouldn't be, but since I don't have one, I don't know.

Super Truck guys can run whatever pinion manufacturer they want.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TPhalen
For the first race, I'd like to keep it to the included 19T pinion in the Spec Class.

I know people have said that it is a little soft and wears out quickly, so I might change this rule. Right now, though, using this pinion is going to help me tech trucks for the proper gearing.

If you have a Robinson, please bring it. I may allow you to run it in a heat race so I can see if the motor orientation is different than with the stock 19T. Shouldn't be, but since I don't have one, I don't know.

Super Truck guys can run whatever pinion manufacturer they want.
Sounds good to me 😊 See you there!
TPhalen likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

I had this same pinion problem last week at TCS in Vegas. I had a binding in the drivetrain and couldn’t figure it out. Changed spur, gears in diff, took both front and rear apart and rebuilt... turned out that the pinion was worn out! How does a metal pinion wear out against plastic spur??? This caused me to miss both qualifiers and ended up last in C-main lol. Can’t race tomorrow at Revelation Good luck to all and have fun.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you;ve got a truck and live close enough to get there and didn't go, you missed out on a ton of fun.
Thanks Tony, Garen and Glen, I had a blast racin all day UF1 style.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks everyone who came out to the first round of the 2019 ETRL Summer Series. A bit of a light turnout, but that's always the way it is when a series starts up. I can tell you, though, that if you didn't come out you missed a great time.

Spec Truck as the biggest class - 16 drivers. Was great to see everyone out there dicing it up for sure!

Super Truck had 3 entries, but I expect that class to grow as more and more drivers want to go faster!

The handout motor seemed to keep everyone honest - only a couple guys seemed to have a slight speed advantage. We'll be cleaning up all the motors and getting them ready for the next race.

Now, for the fun part - the results are up:

Super Truck Standings: Super Truck Standings
Spec Truck Standings: Spec Truck Standings

Photo gallery:Gallery 1 ? Round 1 ? ETRL 2019 Summer Series | ETRL

Looking forward to seeing you guys back for round 2 of the ETRL Series!
F N CUDA likes this.

Last edited by TPhalen; 05-06-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This series looks super fun and I hope to attend some races.

The rule you describe for glue on the tires of SPEC class trucks is more restrictive than the TCS rule and I wonder why? Essentially, TCS requires that the glue not be in contact with the track with the car at rest, but the illustration for your rule would keep the glue several millimeters above the track. If you are changing the TCS rule, it would be best to eliminate all restrictions on glue since what the TCS restrictions "accomplish" is to discourage people from racing their trucks on carpet. (It certainly has discouraged me, and I've heard complaints from 'Cuda and others.)

Your SPEC rules also allow open servo savers (TCS requires Tamiya) and allow open servo "drag links" (TCS requires the stock TT01E plastic part). Unlike the tire glue rule, I don't think anything can be gained by changing these rules.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
This series looks super fun and I hope to attend some races.

The rule you describe for glue on the tires of SPEC class trucks is more restrictive than the TCS rule and I wonder why? Essentially, TCS requires that the glue not be in contact with the track with the car at rest, but the illustration for your rule would keep the glue several millimeters above the track. If you are changing the TCS rule, it would be best to eliminate all restrictions on glue since what the TCS restrictions "accomplish" is to discourage people from racing their trucks on carpet. (It certainly has discouraged me, and I've heard complaints from 'Cuda and others.)

Your SPEC rules also allow open servo savers (TCS requires Tamiya) and allow open servo "drag links" (TCS requires the stock TT01E plastic part). Unlike the tire glue rule, I don't think anything can be gained by changing these rules.
First off, these are not $1000 touring cars. It's a Spec class, designed to allow all skill levels to join in and have fun on a level playing field. If you want to go super fast with a awesome-handling vehicle, get an awesome-handling vehicle.

Glue on the tires is meant to stiffen the side wall of the tire, that's it. Since there are no inserts in the tire, the tires tend to fold over and cause traction rolling (especially on carpet). It's hard to prevent this when you can't do any major tuning to the trucks (in the Spec and TCS vehicles). The rule was set in place so drivers could run glue up to a certain point on the sidewall of the tire - a 'set point' - but not up on to the tread (this would affect the handling of the trucks). Problem is, drivers have been 'rounding' the tires, effectively removing the 'set point' on the sidewall of the tire. Without that 'set point', it makes it very hard for us to tech the glue point. On top of that, drivers have been slowly inching the glue over the 'set point' and on to the tread.

Now, where do we stop? One driver has .5mm of glue on the tread - does it affect handling? Sure does - if it didn't, they wouldn't need to inch the glue up that high. If he wins a race, who do you think will be the first person to bitch about it? The driver that had his glue 1mm on the tread but lost. It's not a winning battle that the ETRL and TCS want to deal with.

So, the rule for both the ETRL AND TCS has been changed; in ETRL, BOTH the Spec and Super truck classes can run glue up to the first tread. TCS has also changed the rule (it should be up tomorrow) to that same thing; glue UP TO the first tread line. If the glue is IN the tread or is even .0001mm onto the next tread, DQ'ed. This first tread line makes it easy for us (ETRL and TCS) to monitor your glue. This first tread line allows you to add as much (or as little) as you'd like and still be within the rules.

The problem is that drivers like to test the rules. They like to find an advantage, a loophole, a way around a simple rule. We have to figure out a fair way to address the problem and make it so that we aren't the bad guys when you lose a race because Driver A was more creative than Driver B regarding a simple rule. See my point?

Now, servo savers and drag links. This rule was tweaked in the ETRL simply because the stock parts aren't the best when running on high traction surfaces, including carpet. It's a way to remove the soft servo saver and give the truck a more positive feel. However, since there seems to be an issue with it, we'll fall back on the TCS rule for the Spec class: All cars must use TAMIYA servo savers or Tamiya Direct Servo Horns. The stock drag link must also be used.

Hopefully this will eliminate some of the issues.

Please don't let the way some people perceive the rules (and then complain about them when they push the limits) discourage you from coming out to play. It really is a fun series.
CL, F N CUDA, jetnjme and 1 others like this.

Last edited by TPhalen; 05-21-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.