Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Intellect 4200mAH battery pack fried my motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Intellect 4200mAH battery pack fried my motor

This really sucks! I just bought two new intellect 7.2 volt battery packs for my HPI pro 4 and it made my motor smoke and wrecked it.

Does anyone know why this happend? I thought these new batteries would make the car run longer not blow the engine up on you.

I feel like the batteries are a wast of money but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Do you need a special motor to run these in? I'm using an LRP no motor limit ESC and I had a 19 turn Kwanda motor in it.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Jason
Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

it depends how long you were running. If you were on the track for more than 5 minutes, the motor may have gotten too hot and burnt up. The other possibility is the motor is overgeared.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default but the motor worked great for me before

I don't know because I've been using the motor for a month with my 3600 mAH GP battery backs and its been working great. I run it for like 30 minutes no problems. Its these new batteries that seem to over heat it?

I'm worried if I go get a new engine and use it with these new batteries I'll just end up wrecking another motor.

has anyone else tried out these new 4200 mAH packs?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by envirojay
I don't know because I've been using the motor for a month with my 3600 mAH GP battery backs and its been working great. I run it for like 30 minutes no problems. Its these new batteries that seem to over heat it?

I'm worried if I go get a new engine and use it with these new batteries I'll just end up wrecking another motor.

has anyone else tried out these new 4200 mAH packs?
30 min is the problem No motor can take that sort of abuse. These new cells have a little more voltage but that shouldn't smoke your motor.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST
30 min is the problem No motor can take that sort of abuse. These new cells have a little more voltage but that shouldn't smoke your motor.
If 3600 can give 1/2 hr of run time.Then the 4200s should give about 35-40 mins of runtime...That would smoke any motor.And did he say he was running for a month?? I'm assuming a month without truing the motor and give it the proper TLC.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When was the last time you cut the comm and put new brushes in the motor?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you were running packs with lower average voltage and higher IR you may need to adjust your gearing with the high average voltage and low IR produced by the IB4200s.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

holy crap! 30 mins of run time...your motor was toast already just missing the Jelly. Ive got a brushless and get about 12 quality minutes...

there is a reason those batteries are rated at around 400 seconds of discharge at 30amps...your cooking your batteries too by running the crap out of them like this. .9V per cell is the normal cutoff...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I'm convinced its the batteries

I'm telling you I've ran my motor non stop for 25 to 30 minutes on the 3600 mAH packs with no problems.

The first time I try these new batteries I burn up. And I could smell something funny after just 2 minutes. So there has to be a problem with these packs?

Anyone have any experience using these new 4200 mAH packs? I know they are a pretty new technology so who knows.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Something smells funny alright.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

I have 4 4200 matched packs and ran them without a hitch. Batteries do not fry the motors. If there is a battery fault the first thing that would go is the ESC or worse case the battery cell explodes, not a pretty sight. I had some 3700 SP2 that vented and leaked on discharge but never have i come across any battries frying the motor.

I'm telling you I've ran my motor non stop for 25 to 30 minutes on the 3600 mAH packs with no problems.

The first time I try these new batteries I burn up. And I could smell something funny after just 2 minutes. So there has to be a problem with these packs?

Anyone have any experience using these new 4200 mAH packs? I know they are a pretty new technology so who knows.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

I don't see why you would blame the batteries for your burnt motor. Everyone wants higher voltage and longer run time...lol

Check your gearing.........and let your motor rest and cool down in between runs
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Its NOT the batteries, period.

By running your motor for so long without letting it cool down, you have seriously shortened the life of the motor. Its by chance it gave up the ghost when you put in the new more powerfull batteries. And, I am suspecting you never took the motor apart and cleaned or trued (on a lathe) the commutator, or replaced the brushes.

Motors need regular maintenance. and with the higher output batteries, you probably should have gone to a slightly smaller pinion gear. The batteries are just a tad heavier so it makes the motor work just a bit harder.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Do you guys work for this battery company or what!

I've been running my motor on the 3600 mAH for 30 minutes a run with no problems for like half a year.

I get these new batteries and within 2 minutes the motor is smoked!!

Can someone who has actually used these new 4600 mAH reply and tell me their experience with them.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Initiate

You shouldn't be blaming the battery. Like everyone said, battery don't burn motor.

My bet is you never took care of your motor.

Like a car, if you don't do regular maintenance your engine will blow one day.. what you are saying is just before your engine blew, you filled up gas and you're going to blame the gas for what happen to your engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.