Wiki Posts
Search

is my motor shot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy is my motor shot?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This is a video I took to try and show the issue I am having with my touring car. Can I replace the bearings to fix this or am I s-o-l?

Thanks
-Bryan

Last edited by Cpt.America; 12-07-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: video embed!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shrill
www (dot) youtube (dot) com /watch?v=TZnY6thqH-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is a video I took to try and show the issue I am having with my touring car. Can I replace the bearings to fix this or am I s-o-l?

Thanks
-Bryan
Looks like it is just a bad sensor wire or sensor board. Replace the sensor wire and check again. Then if it is still like that then check the sensor board. If it still does it then could be a bad sensor port on your esc. Start with the cheapest thing by replacing the sensor wire first. It's cogging like a sensorless motor does. You could also dry a refuse your neutral band on you esc also.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yup, sounds like a sensor issue. 90% of the time a new sensor wire will fix it. If not, then get a new sensor board for that motor.

I own several Hobbywing ESCs, including several Justocks, and whenever the sensors are messed up, that's exactly what will happen. It'll cog heavily on light throttle.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Sounds like a bad sensor wire, or MAYBE a bad sensor board. Wire first, see what you get.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sensor issue as mentioned. But on the side note, u might wanna re wire your car as its waaay to clutered.

Sorry but my OCD just kicked in after wtching your video.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Noobi_Kenubi
Sensor issue as mentioned. But on the side note, u might wanna re wire your car as its waaay to clutered.

Sorry but my OCD just kicked in after wtching your video.
I thought the same thing. But I didn't want to say anything as he might be a noob and not know any better yet.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jerz616
I thought the same thing. But I didn't want to say anything as he might be a noob and not know any better yet.
I could agree on u on that but i did saw some experts in my home country with bad wiring, they are fast but seeing them working on the car makes me wanna cut all the wires lol.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

How much timing do you have in the motor? When you free rev that thing it spools up really nice. Could this be to much timing for the bottom end?

Snowy.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

You changed the brg on both end. Removed the sensor board?? What probably happened, you have to check the calibration of ESC to motor. video when it runs, it runs. Check the calibration, then ck the sensor cable. Calibration meaning your TX adjust of throttle positioning of Home(neutral), WOT, and braking. Your ESC instruction will show you. Video, I believe electric guys calls the motor cogging.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you Jerz616, hyujmn, Cpt.America and Noobi_Kenubi for the quick replies. A replacement sensor cable should arrive today and I will test that first.

Let me just add that I bought this car USED as a starter car. I am extremely new to the hobby in general and only have a little bit of electrical experience. The wiring is ugly because the previous owner wired it that way, and I totally agree that it needs to be redone. I have plans to upgrade and make it look really nice, but for now I'm really just trying to fix a few rolling issues first.

Originally Posted by Essnowyt
How much timing do you have in the motor? When you free rev that thing it spools up really nice. Could this be to much timing for the bottom end?

Snowy.
I am not sure this motor has adjustable timing, how do I check? I have not taken this motor apart yet, and I can see there is no timing setting on the outer end of the motor like I have seen on some out there.

Originally Posted by Jerz616
Yes I admit, I am a noob. But I am also a fast learner. Currently I just care that the wires are safe until I can get it to run smooth again.

Originally Posted by Geezatec
You changed the brg on both end. Removed the sensor board?? What probably happened, you have to check the calibration of ESC to motor. video when it runs, it runs. Check the calibration, then ck the sensor cable. Calibration meaning your TX adjust of throttle positioning of Home(neutral), WOT, and braking. Your ESC instruction will show you. Video, I believe electric guys calls the motor cogging.
This motor was running fine and then one day this started, and I never changed any of the wiring nor did I ever remove the sensor board from the motor. Calibration is not the issue as I stated that this just started all of a sudden.

Again, thank you everyone for the help! I will update when I get the new sensor cable.

Ps- Thank you Cpt.America for embedding the video for me!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Also check if your soldering is clean. Wires need to be neater. Get a soldering iron.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Sensor cable was indeed the issue. Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup they go bad every so often out of no where.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Cool, glad we figured it out for you. Pretty common issue with brushless sensored motors. Keep a couple of spare sensor wires on hand just in case this happens mid race.

Of course, the best way to prevent a sensor wire from not going bad is not hitting the motor against hte boards! Even this doesn't work sometimes. Like Fladust said, sometimes they just... kinda die?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fladust
Yup they go bad every so often out of no where.
Yep. I have seen sensor wires that have literally taken 0 external physical wear, and they just stop working. No wires appear broken or anything. They just go, and should be considered a wear item like your tires. I always keep a couple extra of appropriate length in my box at all times. Whenever I need to order one, I just order 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.