Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Are Lipo mAh ratings bulls@$#%?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Are Lipo mAh ratings bulls@$#%?

Recently I bought 4 new graphene 7500 mAh lipo batteries from hobbyking. Don't tell me I should not expect to get high performance batteries from hobbyking because consumers should get what they pay for. I noticed I could not make run time with my Serpent 977e. I charge at 10 amps and always perform a storage discharge after a race day. My warranty expired. When I decided to check the battery capacities I got less than 3000 milliamps into each of the four batteries.
This is just a vent session. After talking to other racers and shop owners they all said only buy batteries from companies "A" or company "B". It seems battery manufacturers, especially hobbyking, engage in false advertising when it comes to lipo battery capacity because they know they will not be held accountable. I've been burned . This is just a vent session.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you are storing your batteries at 60% (typical) then the 3k mah is not to far off to bring your batteries up to full charge. Not making run time... another story.
Not defending hobbyking. I run Pro-Match batteries and very happy with them.
billdelong and gigaplex like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I’m pretty sure your batteries are bad and not mislabeled. All my batteries I have always got close to the mah advertised on the batteries with the exception of protek. The actually mah of protek is about 500-1000mah les than what they advertise. But when a batter starts to go bad and the internal resistance goes up and they puff the mah severely go down.

you also may be checking the mah incorrectly. You discharge the battery to 3.0volts per cell than charge the battery. If your checking the mah from a 3.8-3.9vokt storage charge than 3000 mah sounds about right.

Last edited by riceball777; 09-10-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mowilly
Recently I bought 4 new graphene 7500 mAh lipo batteries from hobbyking. Don't tell me I should not expect to get high performance batteries from hobbyking because consumers should get what they pay for.
​​...
It seems battery manufacturers, especially hobbyking, engage in false advertising when it comes to lipo battery capacity because they know they will not be held accountable.
We can hold them accountable by never buying from them. So... don't expect high performance batteries from HobbyKing

That said, the batteries I have got from HobbyKing did perform well until they puffed. They seem more fragile than other packs that I've tried.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Q: Are Lipo mAh ratings bulls@$#%?

A: Yes. Absolutely. It's been this way for years. I'm shocked someone is only realizing this now.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You have to charge and discharge at 1c to get the rated mah usually. And discharge down to 3V per cell and charge to 4.2 or 4.35 if the cell is rated to HV.

Yeah tons of ratings are over inflated. Nothing over about 60c exists. A 5000mah 100c pack can't possibly put out 500amps without damaging the pack.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In general the heavier the battery the more mah it will have, keeping all other battery items the same. Of course some battery cases weigh more than others, etc. But in general a 300g battery will have more mah than a 270g battery.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I’ve never had a question about the mah rating. Every battery I’ve had has always charged full

The “c” rating I’ve come to understand are less believable
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

When switching between brands of batteries you are comparing apples to oranges... there are way too many other variables to consider as well.

I have played the game of experimenting with almost all the budget brands out there and generally my low budget packs tend to last about 6 months before they start to degrade, either from lost capacity and/or punch, etc..

The best method I have grown to appreciate is to get into the habit of measuring the "Internal Resistance" (IR) per cell when brand new and then you will know when it's time to discard the pack after it's no longer meeting your needs.

For me, most quality 100C packs I buy tend to start around 1 mΩ and a budget brand might start around 3 mΩ ... this is the measurable "quality" which may not seem like much, but difference will be HUGE if you are racing in a stock class. Over time, ALL batteries will degrade and that's where you use your charger's built in IR meter to check the health of your cells. The budget brands tend to increase IR far more quickly where around 6 months they jump up from 3 mΩ to 8 mΩ+ and that's the point where the pack turns into "practice pack" and I order a new pack... as the practice pack continues to age closer to a year old, then I typically see the IR jump up to around 20 mΩ + and that's about the point when swelling starts to occur... then I know it's time to discard the pack completely.

A higher quality pack will tend to handle more abuse and this is the "trick" to getting optimal performance, it's not about the capacity, but rather the "peak capacity". I have grown to appreciate the Trinity White Carbon packs myself, where these packs can handle 40A charge rates and that will reduce your IR even farther! This increases your "peak capacity" so you get significantly faster acceleration than you could get from a budget brand battery than can only be charged at 10A.

Ask a local racer at your club to let you borrow one of their packs charged at 40A, run it back to back with your pack charged at 10A first... no doubt you will be buying a 40A charger and high end battery before next race day
Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Same goes for the "C" rating!!! BS numbers.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Same goes for the "C" rating!!! BS numbers.
Heh, I can attest to this. I saw a video on YouTube the other day where an FPV pilot interviewed a Rep of a supplier of batteries, and under condition of the anonymity of both himself and the company, he flat out said they typically add 5-10C on the label, just to look better than the competition, under the guise that “people know those numbers are BS anyway”. What the hell?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn

Heh, I can attest to this. I saw a video on YouTube the other day where an FPV pilot interviewed a Rep of a supplier of batteries, and under condition of the anonymity of both himself and the company, he flat out said they typically add 5-10C on the label, just to look better than the competition, under the guise that “people know those numbers are BS anyway”. What the hell?
Reminds me of a battery review that TheJANG from URC did a few years back, he did a battery discharge graph comparing a couple budget brand batteries against MaxAmps and had determined that MaxAmps was overstating their C Ratings, he felt that the price MaxAmps was charging was not a good value. Shortly after, MaxAmps had filed a cease and desist against URC, TheJANG's review was removed from YouTube and he was not allowed to reference MaxAmps anywhere on his website, he even banned anyone from using the name on anyone's post.... we soon started calling them "MaxCramps" instead...lol

Old 09-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Reminds me of a battery review that TheJANG from URC did a few years back, he did a battery discharge graph comparing a couple budget brand batteries against MaxAmps and had determined that MaxAmps was overstating their C Ratings, he felt that the price MaxAmps was charging was not a good value. Shortly after, MaxAmps had filed a cease and desist against URC, TheJANG's review was removed from YouTube and he was not allowed to reference MaxAmps anywhere on his website, he even banned anyone from using the name on anyone's post.... we soon started calling them "MaxCramps" instead...lol

I can’t speak to the value side of things, but it looks like the Max Amps Packs in this chart stayed at a higher voltage for longer throughout the run. Isn’t that what you’d expect to see from better/higher rated batteries?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mushroomed

I can’t speak to the value side of things, but it looks like the Max Amps Packs in this chart stayed at a higher voltage for longer throughout the run. Isn’t that what you’d expect to see from better/higher rated batteries?
Yeah, but wow - $100 more for 2-3 10th of a Volt throughout the run, and a teeny bit less run time before dropping off? Say what you will, but I wouldn’t say those batteries provide $100 more value.

The C&D doesn’t really surprise me - Video Game publishers have been known to blackball and send takedown notices to YouTubers for giving bad reviews. The latter is especially easy for them to do, given YT’s horrible system which gives too much power to anyone wanting to arbitrarily make claims against videos.
billdelong and mushroomed like this.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn

Yeah, but wow - $100 more for 2-3 10th of a Volt throughout the run,
0.2 or 0.3V extra over the discharge curve is HUGE btw... and well worth $100 per pack to the fast racers who are after the last 10th, frankly.

To these racers I say : man up and run Mod

The other buyers just need to stop banging boards
mushroomed and TheRulesLawyer like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.