Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brush Alignment tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Because the brushes get cocked in the hoods by the clockwise motion of the commutator (when looking at the endbell side), you lose a degree or so of timing by having the hoods "aligned" straight across from each other with a bar alignment tool.

I cock the hoods using the bar alignment tool (without using the shaft) just enough to counteract the action of the brushes being cocked to get the brushes into their optimal positions within the hoods and to the commutator.

Great thing about this is that new brushes break in better.

Pure 'Big Jim' thinking...Which made total sense to me.

Bill
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A fiddlestick is a spring tension measuring device.....how you would use to align brush hoods is beyond me....

The tool you want is the bar type item.....

The hoodresetters, are just that....they will sqaure your hoods up and can be used to help straighten them. It is NOT designed to align your hoods to correct brush cocking, which is a MUST for a high performance motor. Thats where the bar comes in.....

The trinity unit works, our unit is very nice also....either or will work for your purpose.

The Big Jim bar is no longer available......though we will be coming out with a new bar soon, that Big Jim designed for me, just before his death.

Later EddieO
Old 11-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
A fiddlestick is a spring tension measuring device.....how you would use to align brush hoods is beyond me....
doh.. i didnt quite mean THAT tool... thats what you get when you post from work. LOL......

i meant this stick..

Old 11-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO

The tool you want is the bar type item.....

The hoodresetters, are just that....they will sqaure your hoods up and can be used to help straighten them. It is NOT designed to align your hoods to correct brush cocking, which is a MUST for a high performance motor. Thats where the bar comes in.....

The trinity unit works, our unit is very nice also....either or will work for your purpose.

The Big Jim bar is no longer available......though we will be coming out with a new bar soon, that Big Jim designed for me, just before his death.

Later EddieO
Exactly. Thanks Eddie.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Question

Has anybody notched one of the screw holes so the hood will be cocked a little more if you needed it?
I have'nt tried it or really needed to but I have had some hoods that were close.
Thanks Guy's
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

It's techincally illegal to enlarge either of the holes on the hood to help with the shifting, mainly because if you made them too big, you could attempt to shift the entire hood over and increase timing....

Not to mention, the trinity motors have dimples underneath, so the effects will be minimal, so you can only move the hood so much before the dimple will no longer line up and hoods won't site flush........

Later EddieO
Old 11-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

When using the Big Jim tool someone told me to remove the dimple that is between the 2 parts of the hood (metal). Is that legal to do? I've had some motors that are off enough that it need that extra play.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Brush Alignment tool-crw_7557.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Not legal, its considered removing material from the endbell.....though I have never seen anyone called on it....

Later EddieO
Old 11-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

oops, good thing I only run in club races
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Big Jim alignment bars are still around,imop, it's the best one.Rush and Sons hobby shop had a bunch hanging on the wall but that was back in the spring at the Norrca Nats.I was fortunate enough to get one from Jim himself,one with the red handle that he painted on himself.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the Trinity tool. It works great to set the hoods, and make sure they are square. After using the tool, if you want the best performance, you would then have to do some tweeking on your own. I use a Turbo 30 to try and find the best spot for the hoods. I am sure a motor dyno would work better, but that is a little more money than I want to spend (for a good one).
Old 11-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by KawTipping
I have the Trinity tool. It works great to set the hoods, and make sure they are square. After using the tool, if you want the best performance, you would then have to do some tweeking on your own. I use a Turbo 30 to try and find the best spot for the hoods. I am sure a motor dyno would work better, but that is a little more money than I want to spend (for a good one).
I really don't care if the hoods are square! as long as the brushes are wearing right down the middle on both sides,that's why you have to align each hood separately.